NASA ANNOUNCES RESPONSE TO TOYO TIRE SHORTAGE

Jeremy C.

• National Staff

http://www.nasaproracing.com/2011/04/nasa-announces-response-to-toy.html

NAPA VALLEY, CA (April 5, 2011) The National Auto Sport Association (NASA) announced today that it will be changing tire rules in some of its classes as a result of extraordinary circumstances related to the earthquake and tsunami in Japan on March 11, 2011.

Difficulties relating to raw material supply, electricity availability, and transport restrictions have greatly impacted the availability of the Toyo Proxes RA-1 tire which is the specified tire for many NASA classes. As such, NASA will be removing the requirement to use the Toyo Proxes RA-1 from the American Iron, Honda Challenge, and Spec 944 classes beginning on May 1, 2011 and will allow any DOT-approved R compound tire. Spec Tire classes will be handled on a case-by-case basis, so please keep informed by visiting the www.nasaproracing.com for any new information if and when it’s posted or by visiting your class section on the www.nasaforums.com. NASA will be sure to post any new information when it’s available.

Non RA1 or non Toyo? We ran with the 888's and some records could have been set with those. I would think that either Toyo could qualify.

Hoosier payout is pretty cool. Nice to get whole tires instead of a portion. And possible 2 for the winner and 1 for 2nd and 3rd places, that's huge. No more shaving. Quite a few pluses.

April 7, 2011 1:59 PM — Thumbnail image for Hoosier_Logo_Large.jpgNAPA VALLEY, CA (April 7, 2011) The National Auto Sport Association (NASA) is pleased to announce effective May 1, 2011 Hoosier Racing Tire will extend it’s generous contingency program to include the American Iron, Honda Challenge, and 944 Spec classes.

The newly announced contingency program expansion which will apply only to competitors competing on the “R” compound tire will award up to 4 free tires per race to class competitors. For complete details on the new Hoosier contingency offerings for the American Iron, Honda Challenge, and 944 Spec classes, please visit http://www.nasaproracing.com/contingency.

Easy answer to track records.

No records should be set on non-Toyo tires.

BUT How are we going to phase out the Hoosiers, or BFG, or Goodyears that we buy for now ?

AND should we save our Toyos for the NATS or late season races ?

Lots of good questions being brought up, hopefully we will get some solid answers soon.

We are all probably familiar with the problems Japan manufacturers are facing right now. I really don't see these problems being resolved any time soon as the devistation to Japans infrastructure was so severe.

My concern is that we went through all this crap about a HP cap and this and that so we can have fair "spec racing",just now to have tires be sooo open.. I vote allow only two tires like hankook and hoosier. Oh that and no 275's allowed on a crx!! lol

Track Records????

So some of you guys think that track records should be discounted because of this? If you subscribe to this line of thought, then you would have to also discount ALL track records before ANY mod that the rules have allowed since the series' inception. Did you guys also seek to discount all track records that were set AFTER the new computer rule, or any other rule/performance upgrade that has been implemented? What about the track records that have been set before, and or, after the HP cap, or 225 tire size rule? ETC...

Sometimes it is the equipment that is allowed that allows one to go faster. In this case it will be the more expensive Hoosiers. Racing=more expensive=faster.

Many racers that have much more experience than I have expressed the opinion that the spec tire rule did not seem to benefit anyone except TOYO (especially when the TOYO bucks expire so quickly). Just one man's opinion...

BTW, I liked that everyone was on the same tire, at least there was parity there.

Track Records????

So some of you guys think that track records should be discounted because of this? If you subscribe to this line of thought, then you would have to also discount ALL track records before ANY mod that the rules have allowed since the series' inception. Did you guys also seek to discount all track records that were set AFTER the new computer rule, or any other rule/performance upgrade that has been implemented? What about the track records that have been set before, and or, after the HP cap, or 225 tire size rule? ETC...

Sometimes it is the equipment that is allowed that allows one to go faster. In this case it will be the more expensive Hoosiers. Racing=more expensive=faster.

Many racers that have much more experience than I have expressed the opinion that the spec tire rule did not seem to benefit anyone except TOYO (especially when the TOYO bucks expire so quickly). Just one man's opinion...

BTW, I liked that everyone was on the same tire, at least there was parity there.

What you are failing to see is this is temporary thing, as far as we know right now. From what we have been told this is a temporary arrangement due to production problems in Japan. If this is a permanent change, like those before it, then yes, new track records should stand.

What you are failing to see is this is temporary thing, as far as we know right now. From what we have been told this is a temporary arrangement due to production problems in Japan. If this is a permanent change, like those before it, then yes, new track records should stand.

You likely won't see anything change for quite a while with the situation over there. The region was just devastated by one of the worst disasters known to mankind and Sendai is about 50 miles from a nuclear power plant that is having significant issues. And some guys are concerned with track records? Are you kidding?

There was a report on earlier today, IIRC on CNBC about the impact on business in that part of Japan. The ports are still damaged and it's difficult to get things in and out. Electricity is a big issue and it's being rationed. A great deal of generating capability and distribution was destroyed and it's going to take several months to restore and a year or better to get back to previous levels. Rationing is expected to last through the summer into fall. Toyota has been impacted into third quarter and their plants sustained only minor damage. The tsunami took most of the distribution infrastructure and equipment and much of what is left is being used to rebuild, not try to get tires to guys halfway around the globe that race cars for a hobby.

Dave

SM

Believe me, I know all too well the situation in Japan. With having suppliers in Asia I have delt with the problems first hand. But it is still a question on being a temporary or permanent move for Honda Challenge.

You likely won't see anything change for quite a while with the situation over there. The region was just devastated by one of the worst disasters known to mankind and Sendai is about 50 miles from a nuclear power plant that is having significant issues. And some guys are concerned with track records? Are you kidding?

There was a report on earlier today, IIRC on CNBC about the impact on business in that part of Japan. The ports are still damaged and it's difficult to get things in and out. Electricity is a big issue and it's being rationed. A great deal of generating capability and distribution was destroyed and it's going to take several months to restore and a year or better to get back to previous levels. Rationing is expected to last through the summer into fall. Toyota has been impacted into third quarter and their plants sustained only minor damage. The tsunami took most of the distribution infrastructure and equipment and much of what is left is being used to rebuild, not try to get tires to guys halfway around the globe that race cars for a hobby.

Dave

SM

• Members

If it is permanent or not we will find out when that time comes. My concern is those who have enough budget for better tires will be in better position and the whole HP cap just got thrown out of the window with this.

Believe me, I know all too well the situation in Japan. With having suppliers in Asia I have delt with the problems first hand. But it is still a question on being a temporary or permanent move for Honda Challenge.

We had about 300 staff that were evacuated to our facility in Macau just after Narita opened. They've since returned and will resume this week.

Toyo has informed SCCA CRB this week that they have no timeline on when RA-1s will resume production nor a time frame for availability in the US. It doesn't appear they even contacted Toyo until after the NASA announcement. They indicated there were a large quantity of 205-50/15 R888 in country.

Well I would imagine that another MFG would be chomping at the bit to be the next NASA Spec Tire... Kumho or Hankook would prob be on a short list.... Kumho being the more likely IMO bc they have a true "wet" tire. I dont see NASA going with Hoosire as their "spec" tire simply due to costs. But we will see!!!!!

Im running Hoosiers as long as i can!!!

NASA could change over to an American Tire Co. Like Goodyear, or Cooper/Avon tire.

Then again if speed is the goal for us then leave it as an open tire series.

If cheap long lasting tires are the goal then use something like Falken RT-615K's. They are dirt cheap, and last forever.

.....In the end I don't care what tire we use, I just want to be out there racing!

NASA could change over to an American Tire Co. Like Goodyear, or Cooper/Avon tire.

Then again if speed is the goal for us then leave it as an open tire series.

If cheap long lasting tires are the goal then use something like Falken RT-615K's. They are dirt cheap, and last forever.

.....In the end I don't care what tire we use, I just want to be out there racing in H2!

Let me fix that for you Walt.... Yeah, now it's right.

Well I would imagine that another MFG would be chomping at the bit to be the next NASA Spec Tire... Kumho or Hankook would prob be on a short list.... Kumho being the more likely IMO bc they have a true "wet" tire. I dont see NASA going with Hoosire as their "spec" tire simply due to costs. But we will see!!!!!

Im running Hoosiers as long as i can!!!

For us mere mortals that pay retail for tires, the Hankooks and BF-goodrich are about the same price as shaved Toyo's. In my experience they are as fast as the more expensive Hoosiers and last longer. That is where my money will be spent.

update

We will not be allowing the "A" or "Autocross" compound from Hoosier, Goodyear, or Hankook to be allowed during competition. Competitors must use the "R" compound version of the Goodyear and Hoosier. For the Hankook, we will not allow the C90 or 91 compounds during competition.

This measure should help with cutting down on the number of people that run "A's" for qualifying and maybe even the race because the tires are faster and last even less than the "R" versions.