Miata in ST2

carisma

Is it possible to have a competitive Miata? I have a couple ideas of how to get the power but I'm worried about the weight and tire combination.

-Geran

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dtfastbear

• jrgordonsenior

• carisma

• kbrew8991

Anything is possible with enough time and $$$, I know there's a V8 Miata in the Cali area running some pretty quick times , close to what T1 cars do.

There are two in Norcal. One is an LS swap, he ran in SU at the Feb. Infineon event but he claims it's ST2 legal. He's in the 1:45 range which is very quick. The other is 4 cylinder running boost, he built my cage. He went to a Socal event, destroyed the field and was protested. It turned out he was 20hp under the limit.

Anything is possible with enough time and $$$, I know there's a V8 Miata in the Cali area running some pretty quick times , close to what T1 cars do.
Good point...I don't have a huge budget but big enough to get a decent car I think.
275/35/15s + tons of aero work + hitting the hp/weight fomula... could be interesting
Yeah I was thinking about 275s' date=' full aero widebody and for the formula (if I am inputting the numbers right) I would have to weight at least 2600lbs at 300hp on the dyno.
There are two in Norcal. One is an LS swap, he ran in SU at the Feb. Infineon event but he claims it's ST2 legal. He's in the 1:45 range which is very quick. The other is 4 cylinder running boost, he built my cage. He went to a Socal event, destroyed the field and was protested. It turned out he was 20hp under the limit.
I would definitely be interested in talking to the guy running the LS swap (that's what I want to do) to see his weight and everything.

what about going for a lighter weight to help emphasize the Miata's stregth (handling) - 2200lbs and 247ish whp puts you on the numbers... ?

what about going for a lighter weight to help emphasize the Miata's stregth (handling) - 2200lbs and 247ish whp puts you on the numbers... ?
I could do that but since I was looking at going with a LS1 swap, it might be alittle harder to get down to those numbers than on a turbo motor.

Around here, most of the ST2 field is either Mustangs or Corvettes.

I think it would be difficult for a Miata to run a LS1 and meet the ST2 parameters.

Here in So Cal there are many Mazda GT's running in ST2. There run around 230whp at class weight limits though they can put out more if need be.

Timmay that must have been TC. He wasn't necessarily protested, the top 2 finishers are usually dyno'd there at Buttonwillow. He was about 15whp less than what he had just dyno'd near his shop a few days previously which illustrates how unpredictable dyno results can be. TC's a great driver and I wish he'd come down more often. We're back at Buttonwillow this weekend....

I think it would be difficult for a Miata to run a LS1 and meet the ST2 parameters.

Here in So Cal there are many Mazda GT's running in ST2. There run around 230whp at class weight limits though they can put out more if need be.

Timmay that must have been TC. He wasn't necessarily protested, the top 2 finishers are usually dyno'd there at Buttonwillow. He was about 15whp less than what he had just dyno'd near his shop a few days previously which illustrates how unpredictable dyno results can be. TC's a great driver and I wish he'd come down more often. We're back at Buttonwillow this weekend....

It would be very difficult probably...I don't want to run ST1 so maybe I'll just wait alittle longer and find a C5 that can be turned into a track/race car.

You don't need to run a 275 tire on a 2200lb car to be competitive, 245s are +.8.
That's a good thing to know but wouldn't I have to do a -.75 due to me running non-DOT tires?

a 245 Hoosier A or R for instance is still a DOT approved tire. Now if you're talking a full slick then yeah, that does get that "penalty" you mention...

a 245 Hoosier A or R for instance is still a DOT approved tire. Now if you're talking a full slick then yeah, that does get that "penalty" you mention...
That was my confusion...thank for clearing that up.

A friend has an LS1 miata...he runs 245's all around and has excellent lap times....sure the car is fast, but he is a skilled driver too! He also races SM....and his LS miata is around 8-10 seconds per lap faster...and his SM times are top notch, near track record.

A friend has an LS1 miata...he runs 245's all around and has excellent lap times....sure the car is fast, but he is a skilled driver too! He also races SM....and his LS miata is around 8-10 seconds per lap faster...and his SM times are top notch, near track record.
I think my biggest issue would be getting to the hp/weight limit. After looking at it, I would have to be at 2500lbs and 300hp on 245s. It is doable as long as I could detune the LS1 motor without sacrificing reliability.

What about a hipo V6 or even a honda 4cyl? Easy 300hp and less weight i'm sure.
I'm not a big honda fan.
Diffendurfer has an ST2 Miata in GL. Didn't see it this year' date=' though.[/quote']Do you know if he is boosted or running a LSx motor?

Do you know if he is boosted or running a LSx motor?

Pretty sure it's forced induction. There are some videos on youtube, I was watching one last night called "Miata vs. Viper"

Hey gang,

It's Dean Thomas here and I'm the guy with the ST2 legal LS1 swapped Miata.

I'd be happy to discuss the LS1 miata race car here in the forum or 1:1 if you want to PM me to chat directly.

The car weighs 2650 in full race trim with me in the car. I currently run 225 DOT tires, so that allows me 323WHP for ST2. I'm currently making well under 300HP, but that is only because I'm having a high-rpm breakup issue. When I get that sorted (and I think I might have) I imagine that I'll be right on the borderline for HP for ST2. I'm also planning to go to 275's which will make my WHP bogey 305. This definitely is NOT the BEST way to go to maximize to ST2 rules. The right way to do it if you want to win ST2 sprint races is to go lightweight as TC did with his car.

However, I built the car I wanted to build and am now just looking for the best "home" for it from a class perspective. I'd like to run enduros with it, so ST2 is where I want it to be so that I can race in E0 instead of ES (if I was SU).

The car is an absolute blast to drive, and I expect to be in the low 1:40's at Infineon and low 1:50's at Thunderhill (over the top) when I get the car sorted later this year.

Just for the record, because I know there's been some speculation as to why I'm running in SU while I claim to be "ST2 legal"... I don't want to get certified dyno results until I a) get the engine breakup issue sorted out and b) settle on the tires I want to run long term. Then I'll dial the HP to exactly the upper limit of ST2. Right now, since I'm shifting at 5100 since the car breaks up at 5200, I'm pulling about 285HP on a dynapak dyno.

On another note, a good friend of mine just bought TC's blown lightweight miata, so expect to see that back on the track soon. I can't wait to drive it...

Any questions, fire away!

Cheers,

Dean

Hi Dean, John Gordon here.....

I saw TC at BW this past weekend aand was disappointed to hear he sold that car. We had some fun racing at BW last summer in ST2.

If Tony's buyer is race licensed and both of you will be at T-hill next month please let me know. It would be worth the haul to run against you there although I've never driven the track.

Speaking of very fast Mazdas.... do you know Scott Howards #70 ST2 car? I ran against him last weekend and at Miller in the Nationals where he took second. Well sorted car and great driver, we're well matched. He's a non-turbo car about 235whp. Here the link to our race last Sunday. He outqualified me but I got by him in lap 8 only to give it back on the final lap after a restart. Apparently my LSD was toast as you can see by my wheelspin. Please let me know about T-hill in May, maybe I can talk him into joining me....

JR Gordon

JR,

Man, you are having a tough time keeping that back end under you in the video!! :-o I'm not familiar with the #70 car. Driving these fast cars is all new to me, as are all the people. I've been exclusively a spec miata guy for the last 6 years, so I have a lot of new friends to make in the ST/SU world.

The guy who bought TC's car is not yet race licensed and lacks the experience to really exploit the potential of that car. He definitely intends to race it, but it'll be a little while before he's fighting at the pointy end of ST/SU. He'll get there!

I'm definitely planning to run in May, and my other friend Dr. Dan may also be there racing with his LS6 miata. Given his HP, he's definitely ST1 or SU, not ST2, though. He's racing that car for the first time this weekend.

Before you commit to the long haul up here, let me see how this weekend goes. I have several new parts on the car and want to make sure things are working and that I WILL be racing in May. We'd love to have you up North! Thunderhill is a great track for fast cars, and like Buttonwillow, there's a good mix of fast and slow turns. Unlike Buttonwillow, Thunderhill has been repaved in the last century

Cheers,

Dean

JR,

Man, you are having a tough time keeping that back end under you in the video!! :-o I'm not familiar with the #70 car. Driving these fast cars is all new to me, as are all the people. I've been exclusively a spec miata guy for the last 6 years, so I have a lot of new friends to make in the ST/SU world.

The guy who bought TC's car is not yet race licensed and lacks the experience to really exploit the potential of that car. He definitely intends to race it, but it'll be a little while before he's fighting at the pointy end of ST/SU. He'll get there!

I'm definitely planning to run in May, and my other friend Dr. Dan may also be there racing with his LS6 miata. Given his HP, he's definitely ST1 or SU, not ST2, though. He's racing that car for the first time this weekend.

Before you commit to the long haul up here, let me see how this weekend goes. I have several new parts on the car and want to make sure things are working and that I WILL be racing in May. We'd love to have you up North! Thunderhill is a great track for fast cars, and like Buttonwillow, there's a good mix of fast and slow turns. Unlike Buttonwillow, Thunderhill has been repaved in the last century

Cheers,

Dean

Thanks Dean, Please do let me know how the weekend goes. I had considered T-hill this weekend, but my LSD is in Boulder, Co getting rebuilt so it will be a week or so till I'm running again.

Yep I was spinning the hell out tf the inside rear and I kept thinking it was the tires. It wasn't until I watched my video that I went well duh, my LSD is shot. So I jacked it up on one side and could spin the lifted wheel without any resistance, a sure sign of a wornout LSD. The car is a 996 Porsche and these rear engined cars really need a working LSD to compete.

I love thinking about T-hill, it's a long haul but "I race, therefore I am"....

JRG

Hi Dean, John Gordon here.....

I saw TC at BW this past weekend aand was disappointed to hear he sold that car. We had some fun racing at BW last summer in ST2.

If Tony's buyer is race licensed and both of you will be at T-hill next month please let me know. It would be worth the haul to run against you there although I've never driven the track.

Speaking of very fast Mazdas.... do you know Scott Howards #70 ST2 car? I ran against him last weekend and at Miller in the Nationals where he took second. Well sorted car and great driver, we're well matched. He's a non-turbo car about 235whp. Here the link to our race last Sunday. He outqualified me but I got by him in lap 8 only to give it back on the final lap after a restart. Apparently my LSD was toast as you can see by my wheelspin. Please let me know about T-hill in May, maybe I can talk him into joining me....

JR Gordon

Wasn't that white Mazda in the 1:54 range? Unbelievable. It was my first time at Buttonwillow, I was there racing in the AIX class. You guys would've kicked my butt in ST2.

Dean, I'm interested to hear how you do at Thill. Once you get that thing sorted I think you're going to dominate, which is why I'm most likely going to AIX. I just don't think it's possible for a foxbody mustang to compete with a 2500lb, over 300rwhp car, with a good driver.