Miata in ST2

carisma

Dean,

I don't know what your class form looks like but I don't think you'll get 300hp in ST2.

You pick-up hp running the 225's but get penalized for being so light.

You should be around 290HP max I believe.

I have a Lotus simlarily set-up in my region and he lands around there.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dtfastbear

• jrgordonsenior

• carisma

• kbrew8991

Wasn't that white Mazda in the 1:54 range? Unbelievable. It was my first time at Buttonwillow, I was there racing in the AIX class. You guys would've kicked my butt in ST2.

Yep. In Saturdays race I qualified with a 1:53:4 and Scott hit traffic but did a 55.1 for second position. In the race we ran 54.1's and 54.2. He beat me in Sunday's qual 54.3 to 54.7, but I was slightly quicker in the race 53.8 to his 54.1. We ran pretty close all weekend except when one of us screwed up but we always seemed to end up back together. We were also the 2 fastest at Miller in the Nationals until my motor exploded. Great racing....

Hey John,

My form couldn't be more simple:

275 Hoosier R6's, 2650lbs race weight. That means I add 0.4 for the tires and subtract 0.3 for the weight. To get in to ST2, I can have 305HP at 2650... unless I'm missing something?

Cheers,

Dean

Some video from this past weekend:

Later today I'll post the video from the Sunday race where Bill spanks me with this corvette...

Cheers,

Dean

Hey Dean, it was great to see your car finish that race on Sunday. I've been wondering what's been going on with that LS1 and hoping you will get it sorted out and reliable. Also, thanks for coming up and shaking my hand before the race on Sunday. You are a class act and great competitor. I looked for you after the race to say goodbye but didn't see you. Too bad about the long full course yellow which pretty much killed our race. I was looking forward to getting a free lesson on racecraft from you . On Saturday I was just hoping my car would make it through the day with no issues. I had to pull out the engine that was in it and replace it with the stock LS6 out of my blue C5Z. Right after the motor swap, my dry sump pump seized and I didn't get everything back together until Friday morning before the race. I was honestly very surprised that the car made it through the weekend with no issues and seemed to run well. My car is making about 372 rwhp on 91 octane and 3260 lbs.

Tim, we missed you out there. I was bummed when I read this thread and you said you might leave ST2. If this class doesn't grow this year I might just sell my ST2 car and race in another group with my blue car. Either way, one of my cars has to go because having 2 is killing me! Dean I will put a vid together from the races also and post them up.

Bill.

Great race, Bill!! I, too, was very bummed that we didn't get to race all the way through. The second driver in the Nissan disappeared in my mirrors, so it was just going to be you and I in traffic, which definitely would have been fun! Although I must say, I was not looking forward to a restart with those two Legends in front of you. Glad they waived them by. I thought it was pretty funny when the other two did a "me too!" and the pace car driver waived them off.

I stopped by to say congratulations [well] after the race but couldn't find you, either. You drove mistake free and I wasn't going to catch you but for traffic going MY way and not yours. I didn't realize you were having so many car issues - glad you were able to race. I'd rather finish second chasing someone than win with a "walk away" drive. You were ON!

I'm going to upload my Sunday race video right now...

edit - Here's the video link:

Cheers,

Dean

I was not racing this last weekend but I did watch Saturday's race from turn 14-15. Congradulations Brian on your victory Sat.. Jeff you drove a good race and It was a good battle with Dean. And Bill the Bass Man, Great job driving from 7th on grid to a third place podium.

I couldn't be there for Sunday's race but watching the video from Deans car was good. Glade to see that car finish Dean.

Bass Man I knew you could do it!.

Inspector Gadget, if ST2 is too fast for the Fox, what do you think will happen in AIX?

My car fits perfectly in the AIX Outlaw group. If any real AIX cars show up, we will get crushed and lose out on contingency but we will still have fun racing amongst ourselves. We had 5 cars within a second of each other at Buttonwillow.

In ST2 I'm 30hp under or 240lbs over where my car could be. With driver/car combos like Bill and Dean it's too much of a disadvantage. I'm not ruling out ST2, if nobody shows up for an AIX Outlaw group I'll be forced to run ST2 or SU. If I can manage to get a bigger motor next winter, and run some 315s I think I would have something for these guys, but right now the little white fox is a little too slow.

Thanks Dean, nice video! Steve, hopefully you will be out racing again soon and finish up that mustang already. Tim, all you need is that extra 30 hp and you are right there. You can drive like a pro but your car just needs that extra power to even up the field. That's one cool thing about ST2, we have all kinds of diffferent cars coming at it from different angles and it could be anyone's race depending on the track. Let me know if you head to SoCal for some races and I might head down with you. Here is my race vid from Sunday. I still need to upload my Saturday vid.

Good driving and good videos. Thanks for posting Dean and Bill. Were they checking sound there last weekend? I'm not sure I can make 103db.....

Great racing guys!!!!!!!!!!!! Cool to watch the Vette and Miata battle it out...... Both of your cars are VERY fast and well driven.....watching Deans lap timer click off 1:55 after 1:55 and Bill STILL was slightly gaining....very impressive!!!!

One day I hope to be out there with you guys!!! Already got the LS2 sitting at home....just need to build & install it!!!!

I'm completely baffled by the sound rules and testing at T-Hill. They said that they're starting to crack down on the 103db limit. On Friday, a Trackmasters HPDE day, probably 20% of the cars were over 103 according to the THill sound booth. Our spec miata - which has run at Infineon and THill probably 200 times in the last 6 years - was over!! Several Spec E30's that use exhausts that supposedly make sound at Laguna at 98db were over 103, too. I went down to the sound booth and saw car after car after car reading 103, 104, 105, 109 (!!) and then a Porsche cup car supposedly read 123db!!!!! Our ears would be bleeding and everyone would be crying if there were cars at 123db. Something was SERIOUSLY wrong with how they were measuring...

Then came the race weekend and I didn't hear about a single car being over sound.

So, I'm not sure what the heck is up... I don't know if they have more leeway on race weekends or on weekends in general. They were saying all day Friday and on the weekend that you "have to make 103db", but there were definitely louder cars there over the weekend than there were on Friday and no one was getting busted.

I'm not sure what to tell you, JR.

Cheers,

Dean

123 db does sound pretty loud. Could be the meter needs to be calculated, or checked.

My stock car was always at the limit or or .5 over. I changed the Muffs from 6" Dynomax to 18" glass packs and it was worse. I had some Flows but they killed the top end. Switched to 9" SpinTec's and seams to meet the sound and is quiter in the car. Need to do more testing with these in regards to jetting. I'm going to get a meter reading next time I run the car.

Thanks Dean, nice video! Steve, hopefully you will be out racing again soon and finish up that mustang already. Tim, all you need is that extra 30 hp and you are right there. You can drive like a pro but your car just needs that extra power to even up the field. That's one cool thing about ST2, we have all kinds of diffferent cars coming at it from different angles and it could be anyone's race depending on the track. Let me know if you head to SoCal for some races and I might head down with you. Here is my race vid from Sunday. I still need to upload my Saturday vid.

Bill I just watched your video from the Saturday race. Very fun and educational for someone who's never driven that track.

I don't understand the blue GTS3 BMW's comment to you about blocking. Did he mean at the start, or later after you passed him. Regardless, I see nothing there that could possible be construed as blocking or holding him up. Maybe he thought you were in the lime-green NASCAR car. Heck if it wasn't for traffic you'd have left him in the dust as you did Sunday. Where did they come from on the start? If they were behind you in a split start they shouldn't have been anywhere near you when the flag dropped....

I think it's scary racing with cars that have such a wide diversity of speed. A couple Miada's almost ran you off the course as they weren't looking in their mirrors. You were very careful and patient, I'm not sure I could do that...

Hope to see you again (cal speedway) in a few weeks if I can figure out how to make 103db without losing 15+ whp....

JRG

Bill I just watched your video from the Saturday race. Very fun and educational for someone who's never driven that track.

I don't understand the blue GTS3 BMW's comment to you about blocking. Did he mean at the start, or later after you passed him. Regardless, I see nothing there that could possible be construed as blocking or holding him up. Maybe he thought you were in the lime-green NASCAR car. Heck if it wasn't for traffic you'd have left him in the dust as you did Sunday. Where did they come from on the start? If they were behind you in a split start they shouldn't have been anywhere near you when the flag dropped....

I think it's scary racing with cars that have such a wide diversity of speed. A couple Miada's almost ran you off the course as they weren't looking in their mirrors. You were very careful and patient, I'm not sure I could do that...

Hope to see you again (cal speedway) in a few weeks if I can figure out how to make 103db without losing 15+ whp....

JRG

Hi John. At the start a couple of the GTS3 cars hung way back and then got a flying start before the green flag dropped. Then they had the momentum to pass us at Turn 1 and 2. I think if that didn't happen, I would have pulled away and never seen them. The only time I think I might have held him up unintentionally was when I passed him at the end of the straight and did not track all the way out. I left room on the outside in case he was on my right. This is my first year racing without a provisional license and I admit I'm pretty green when it comes to racing skills. However, he was right that I was not going as fast as I could have and I was driving pretty conservatively on Saturday partly due to not wanting to repeat the incident I had down at Cal Speedway. On Sunday I drove as fast as I could and I was fortunate in the race that all I had to do was turn fast laps. I'm sure Dean would have picked me off in traffic. I'm looking forward to racing with you again, although I never even saw you in the ACS race since you were so far ahead LOL. I don't remember your car being that loud. Are you going to try to come up to Thunderhill in May? I'm not sure if I will be there, but if you come up I will try.

Tim, if you are serious about buying one of my vettes maybe we can make a deal. I just need to figure out which one I want to sell and plan to make a decision at the end of this racing season.

Bill.

Well I just signed up for the May event in ST2. I can easily change it and run with PRC or GTS4 or 5 if you guys can't make it. Heck I may even just run TTS if there's 5 cars in that class. I'm all about the contingency tires and it's the only chance I'll get to run T-Hill for awhile....

Bill about that guy you popped in T8(?) at CS. He's just a jerk with his 700 whp and little if any driving skills. I can't believe they DQ'd you, he should have received the DQ for parking his car in the middle of a race. How did you manage to not pop him there in the previous laps?

Earlier when we gridded for qualifying I was behind him and asked if he was going hot right away as I noticed he had stickers on. He said probably not, but I'm still faster than you. I calmly just got back in my car and blew by him the moment we cleared the hot pit walls. I out-qualified him by 5 seconds. What an ass....

• 2 weeks later...

I Bill & Dean,

I just cancelled my confirmation for this weekend. I was really looking forward to racing/TT'ing there but both my wife and I have work this weekend unfortunately. Perhaps Sears in June....

Edited by Guest

I Bill & Dean,

I just cancelled my confirmation for this weekend. I was really looking forward to racing/TT'ing there but work both my wife and I have work this weekend unfortunately. Perhaps Sears in June....

I'm actually kind of glad to hear that because I can't make it either. I signed up to race and TT but something came up on Saturday and I can only make Sunday. However, if it rains Sunday I'll probably just sulk at home. I don't have rain tires. Sears in June sounds great. Hope to see you there.

Bill.

and to pile on, it's supposed to rain Saturday and Sunday, now...

Hope to see you at Infineon, JR. No sound issues there, and it sounds like the normal crew will be back to sprint racing again!

Cheers,

Dean

and to pile on, it's supposed to rain Saturday and Sunday, now...

Hope to see you at Infineon, JR. No sound issues there, and it sounds like the normal crew will be back to sprint racing again!

Cheers,

Dean

Sounds good, I just made a reservation for the Inn Marin since they take dogs. I haven't raced there in 6 years but at least I can remember the track. We'll see if I can pull if off but its on the schedule as of now....

• 4 weeks later...
what about going for a lighter weight to help emphasize the Miata's stregth (handling) - 2200lbs and 247ish whp puts you on the numbers... ?

The problem with being so light is that you get killed down the straights by the higher HP cars. On a track like Barber, that's ok, but tracks with long straights (VIR, RA), you lose too much time.