Toyo Tire Shortage... What to do.

marshallmosty

How is AI Management going to handle a suedo spec tire for the remainder of the year?

1. Any DOT allowed? (Nitto, BFG, Toyo, Hankook, Hoosier)

2. Only DOT tires "similiar to" RA1's, i.e. no Hoosiers or BFG?

3. Completely open tire class, i.e. full slicks?

Also, how will the Toyo contingency work going forward. Currently the "big money" is only for 5+ starters, obviously with the assumption that they are running RA1's (or 888's for 18"). If we have a mix of tires in AI, will the Toyo contingency be viable?

Also, has NASA discussed Toyo Buck expiration with Toyo. It would be unfair, IMHO, for racers to have certificates expire due to a shortage from Toyo, outside of the racer's control.

As a side note, what are NASA's plans for 2012? Is the tire shortage expected to last into 2012? What is the possibility of a new spec tire supplier? The reason I ask is for the year-end contingency Toyo bucks. It would be a shame to push all year for a championship and have $2000 worth of Toyo bucks that won't be of any use if we change suppliers...

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• robbodleimages

• nape

• marshallmosty

• Grizlbits

• Members

The Hoosier contingency applies as it does not require Hoosier to be the spec tire. No official word yet on whether Toyo contingency will continue to apply.

Welcome AI racers to the Hoosier crack pipe.

HA!!! You've already dropped that pipe and moved on to the needle (race slick)!!!

The Hoosier contingency applies as it does not require Hoosier to be the spec tire. No official word yet on whether Toyo contingency will continue to apply.

AIX is the only listed class:

http://www.nasaproracing.com/contingency/hoosier_tire_contingency_program/2011_Hoosier_Tire_Regional_Contingency_Info.pdf

granted that could change now that Toyo is out for this year, but currently I see nothing there that says regular AI qualifies.

• Members

No Ken, you dont. You also dont see anything in the AI rules that say you can run anything other than RA1s. Geez! Documentation will be updated.

No Ken, you dont. You also dont see anything in the AI rules that say you can run anything other than RA1s. Geez! Documentation will be updated.

Making sure the contingency applies is one of those things that I'd want to be sure of as a competitior before I cut a 4 figure check for on a new set of tires, and I bet I'm not the only one...

Very cool to hear that Hoosier is stepping up to the plate to support you guys though!

Did you hear if they'll be adding any of the other affected classes? (944-Spec and HC?)

Edited by Guest

And the great contingency program, there's no going back now

This will be a interesting experiment. Hoosier are very fast for a few sessions, then start to drop off. It will be expensive to stay up front unless you win them (contingency). The Toyo's would be slow, but consistantly slow throughout their lifetime. It is a double edged sword. I foresee some issues in our future (cost).

I'm all for it if we can get all the cars on the same tire but would prefer bfg from a cost and wear stand point,but I sure love me some hoohoo's!!!

Robert

This will be a interesting experiment. Hoosier are very fast for a few sessions, then start to drop off. It will be expensive to stay up front unless you win them (contingency). The Toyo's would be slow, but consistantly slow throughout their lifetime. It is a double edged sword. I foresee some issues in our future (cost).

You should try the Goodyears.

Greg, What's your thoughts on the goodyear thing and contingencies have to be filled out at the track with the dealer before end of event. I'm not sure the dealer we have will stay till the end of the event. They haven't in the past when they've been there.

We ran on BFG's on Miller Challenge cars at MMP when we went out for some pre-09 Nationals testing. It's still apples and oranges, but they seemed very comparable (probably a bit better) to the Toyos.

This should be an interesting season...

j

April 7, 2011 1:59 PM — NAPA VALLEY, CA (April 7, 2011) The National Auto Sport Association (NASA) is pleased to announce effective May 1, 2011 Hoosier Racing Tire will extend it’s generous contingency program to include the American Iron, Honda Challenge, and 944 Spec classes.

The newly announced contingency program expansion which will apply only to competitors competing on the “R” compound tire will award up to 4 free tires per race to class competitors. For complete details on the new Hoosier contingency offerings for the American Iron, Honda Challenge, and 944 Spec classes, please visit http://www.nasaproracing.com/contingency.

It's official, and yes, (some of) the spec classes are in this too...

I think the "R" rule is ridiculous. In my experience Rs drop off way quicker and to a higher degree than As. As do drop off after the first session but are pretty consistent thereafter until about 12-15 heat cycles. Rs pretty much go to crap after the first couple of sessions. As last two weekends, Rs do also but the difference between a fresh R and a second weekend R is dramatic. IMO guys are going to be forced to buy more sets tires with the Rs than if As were permitted. I don't get it at all, did the person who came up with that rule actually run As and Rs on their car?

thats counter to alot of people's experience, including mine (re: R6's falling off faster than A6's)

Great to hear they extended it to all the newly open tire classes, but interesting that they restricted it a bit.

A's are a softer compound and by definition they wear faster. Its also worth mentioning that an R6 does considerably better over the long haul if you scrub them in rather than race them sticker. Scrubbing an A6 sort defeats the purpose of the tire.

If that's the case then why don't they restrict which Hankooks can be used? This does nothing to prevent someone from showing up with As or the softest Kooks and winning every time. Said person won't win tires, but if he has deep pockets he won't care. All of the people running on Rs to try and win tires are going to feel short changed.