Toyo Tire Shortage... What to do.

marshallmosty

Relax.....

Like all of the Hoosier contract guys at the Runoffs Andy was on A compound. When you get 30 SETS of tires a year you can afford to go out on stickers for every session.

Sooo... how long before there's an AI car with a Hoosier contract?

Anyone else see a slippery slope?

As long as there is a spec tire there will not be any tire deals. It only makes sense for the tire companies to give tires to the hotshoes if there is a tire war.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• robbodleimages

• nape

• marshallmosty

• wstukas

Yes Ive seen Robin's S197 with 17" wheels, but he was able to get some corvette wheels specially cut to mount on his mustang. They were not available over the counter. IF you wanted to buy an off the shelf track wheel for that car, it was an 18"..

We own Robin's Red S197 now and the Corvette wheels did not come with it. Trial fit wheels this winter and we have "off the shelf" 17 in. Enkei wheels on it that clear the Brembo's with LOTS of extra room AND we make track width. Yes the spindles are modified, but they are on our Fox car too to make the BrakeMan setup fit.

I'm heading up to Autobahn with the car Friday.

j

TJ: Yes, Ive run AI races.

UBR: Yes, modified spindles. reengineering. some us love that. some of can't do that.

I'll say this for sure. In this economy selling something so that you can buy a replacement is VERY

difficult. I have what I have.

Stacks of free A compounds..........those were the days (looking longingly into the distance)

Then came;

(Robin) "are these things still good with NO groves at all?"

(Jay) "Yep, lets go race"

Now its anything black and round that holds air. I want to wait to buy until I know what the Nationals spec tire will be.

Racing is better than staying home....pick a tire, go race. See you all at the Nats

Robin

Then came;

Robin

I was there. and heres how the rest of the conversation went.

(Robin) " Jay, I know your a two time National champ, and you now I care deeply for you....But.....if I get the chance, I'll put you in the grass"

(Jay) Well, Robin being a National champ you know the pressure I'm under. Although, I really love you ,MAN......you're still going down

And that's the way I remember it...................sort of....

UBR: Yes, modified spindles. reengineering. some us love that. some of can't do that.

"Modified" doesn't always mean expensive. Modified in this case is redrilling 2 holes. Yes, you need to get them in the right place, but it's not like trying to re-engineer the space shuttle.

The bigger issue for you is taking off perfectly good factory brajkes and spending $$$ for perfectly good, smaller, brakes. I'd have to do the math before I picked if I was in your position. Cost of replacement brakes and 3 sets of new wheels vs extra cost of 18 in tires... How many tires do I have to buy before the replacement brakes are paid for..

I understand your position... Unfortunately racing is generally 1 costly alternative compared to another costly alternative.

j

you either go the simple way or make it complicated. the factory parts for these mustangs are 18 and 14 not 17 and 13. the simple way for me to go is to take off the street exhaust that i have on the car which keeps the hp at AI levels and run St2.

my preference is to race AI. i can go either way. if NASA decides to progress the series to allow for the changes in factory equipment, i'll stay in AI. if NASA decides that degress is better for the class, i'll go to ST2.

the toyo issues of cost and availability push in favor of the ST2 option. the change to open dot tires stopped me in my tracks.

we all have our opinions and our own circumstances to protect.

you either go the simple way or make it complicated. the factory parts for these mustangs are 18 and 14 not 17 and 13.

My factory parts were 15 and 11. I changed them out and went racing...

Richard P.

you either go the simple way or make it complicated. the factory parts for these mustangs are 18 and 14 not 17 and 13.

Richard P.

Mine was even worse... 10.6" rotor and 14" rim... Now it's 13" rotor and 17" rim.

Sell the 14" rotor and 18" rims, buy the smaller stuff and come racing!!!

Richard P.

Mine was even worse... 10.6" rotor and 14" rim... Now it's 13" rotor and 17" rim.

My car came with T-tops, AC, power seats, power windows, cruise control, etc....I got rid of all of it, except the power seats

I don't care what tire is chosen, just pick the one that will be acceptable for Nationals so I can get the car off the jackstands and go racing.

Maybe I'll see if I can take my old RA1's to the re-tread shop.

Then came;

Now its anything black and round that holds air. I want to wait to buy until I know what the Nationals spec tire will be.

Racing is better than staying home....pick a tire, go race. See you all at the Nats

Robin

I remember buying tires off guys with 1-2 grooves and thinking I'd hit the lottery when I first started.

"Wait, these things are supposed to have grooves in them?"

How about 10.5" front brakes, drum rears, missing the 2.8L V6, missing the 14" wheels, 5 colors and a deer hit. What's the contingency for starting with the biggest POS?

DD: Re-caps would be illegal seeing as we aren't allowed to do anything to the tire except shave it anymore.

Clearly whatever is decided is going to not work for a portion of folks so no win scenario from Star Trek comes to mind...

Personally here is my thoughts:

- go look at SCCA contigency for BFG's.... yeah do you see that!!! looks really really damn good to me. So instead of national events make it higher car count.

- BFG's last longer than hoosiers and are cheaper for everyone.

- At least discusion has gotten folks talking again and not about AI2, etc..

Like Robin. Just make a decision and will see you at nationals.

selling good equipment for a respectable return is very difficult in this economy. ive tried to sell the car to downsize. tried to sell my trailer to downsize. tired to sell my spare parts. so, sell the 14 and buy 13's is easier said than done.

i like my car and how it drives. if i have to i will find a class that fits the car better as it is.

i like my car and how it drives. if i have to i will find a class that fits the car better as it is.

Enjoy ST2...

Personally, I think thats a bad attitude. I thought the idea was more car count, not less. But, trust me. i will pick the class that best fits my stuff. If its ST2, thats ok with me.

Enjoy ST2...

Personally, I think thats a bad attitude. I thought the idea was more car count, not less. But, trust me. i will pick the class that best fits my stuff. If its ST2, thats ok with me.

Rob,

Several of the folks were providing good ideas to help you out of your position. All of those ideas were shot down from your side. I was just pointing out that if 18's are not available and you are not able/willing to sell your 14/18 setup in favor of a 13/17 setup, you are basically forcing yourself to ST-2, so I was just wishing you well. No ill will, I was just looking at the obvious. I really want car counts to thrive, but it takes driver's willing to make concessions to make it work. No one can force you to sell your stuff to be able to run 17's... Just my thoughts.

How about 10.5" front brakes, drum rears, missing the 2.8L V6, missing the 14" wheels, 5 colors and a deer hit. What's the contingency for starting with the biggest POS?

Oh man, I might win the biggest POS award!! Literally plucked out of a yard in the north Georgia mountains, from in front of a double wide. Yes, that's a tire pile behind it!

camperandcars014.jpg

Now, back on topic...

I'm not getting new tires until ONE of three things happen first.

I cord my RA1's.

Someone decides to give me tires (aka sponsor...unlikely, but possible in this "tire war").

NASA makes a decision about a spec tire for nationals.

Marsh, based on current rules my car is AI legal. particularly now that i dont have to buy $400 18" Toyos. 14's are legal. 18's are legal. i am ai hp to weight legal. i'm good.

i just dont think my tires should be $600 a set more than someone on a 17. if its a spec series, its an unequal burden.

I am not entirely on the other side of this tire issue. Today some of us are on toyos and others will have to get something....anything. if whatever that anything is turns out to be different from what the chosen spec tire is, then that is going to suck. If the spec nationals tire is toyo, then we all have a set up to go back to. If i buy goodyears and national tells us in July that have to have BFG's and then more money is wasted in a rough economy.

it gets too easy with $4 a gallon diesel fuel to just take the year off.

Yes, that's a tire pile behind it!

Did you grab the pile of tires? It looks like some of those 10 year old ones TJ was beating us on last season. If he doesn't already have them, I'll bet he'll buy them from you.

j

Oh man, I might win the biggest POS award!! Literally plucked out of a yard in the north Georgia mountains, from in front of a double wide. Yes, that's a tire pile behind it!

I think we tie. I pulled mine out of farm field in WI after that guy hauled it back from GA. $300 and I had to bring my own wheels because he wanted to keep the steelies on it. Had no front bumper, a grey fender, a red fender, and a white hood. Here's what it looked like 6 weeks before the comp school.

Finally had to change the center link. 187k miles and 4 years of racing finally wore it out.

aeff6d0b8e45fd4a9e73cf0bd8f4c182.jpg

Did you grab the pile of tires? It looks like some of those 10 year old ones TJ was beating us on last season. If he doesn't already have them, I'll bet he'll buy them from you.

j

Like Robin said "if it's round and has rubber on it". I'm not even too picky about being round, as long as it holds air.

Folks-

Thanks for the thoughts thus far and we hear you. This situation sucks to an exponential degree and we have been trying our best to make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t since we figured out that the 18's were not around or inbound. I greatly respect that many of you have chosen to bail for ST2 or CMC2 for a bit due to tires and other issues but I urge you to keep the AI fire burning. Keep your mullet mojo strong and let's keep the discussion going on how to find our way through the mist and into the quickening (yes, Highlander reference).

My offer to buy you all a round at the Nats stands and let's plan to spend some time hashing out plans for 2012 and beyond at Mid-O.

-JWL