Toyo Tire Shortage... What to do.

marshallmosty

• Members

Hey Rob,

Can you give it a rest? What you're asking is exactly what we're working on but it's not as easy as 1-2-3. I'm sorry that we can't always accommodate YOUR racing schedule, YOUR budget, YOUR wheel and brake package, YOUR decision to run a S197 platform, where YOU live, how far YOU have to travel to race, etc., etc., etc......... But we are doing our best. Jeezzz...

Ed

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• robbodleimages

• nape

• marshallmosty

• svttim

Hey Rob,

Can you give it a rest? What you're asking is exactly what we're working on but it's not as easy as 1-2-3. I'm sorry that we can't always accommodate YOUR racing schedule, YOUR budget, YOUR wheel and brake package, YOUR decision to run a S197 platform, where YOU live, how far YOU have to travel to race, etc., etc., etc......... But we are doing our best. Jeezzz...

Ed

I dont doubt everyone at NASA is doing thier best to get the situation under control. Being new, I have no understanding of what is going on and why another tire package cant be selected. I am not saying its that easy, I just dont know what goes on behind the scenes. I can only imagine how the leadership must cringe anytime something new comes up with Toyo. In Robs defense, what I have seen was a bunch of posts telling Rob how to take his S197 platform back into the 90's.

The problem is not the platform, or how far away someone lives or has to travel. The problem is NASA cant accomodate the tires that the sanctioning body requires. And, only leadership has the ability to fix that.

In Robs defense, what I have seen was a bunch of posts telling Rob how to take his S197 platform back into the 90's.

The problem is not the platform, or how far away someone lives or has to travel. The problem is NASA cant accomodate the tires that the sanctioning body requires. And, only leadership has the ability to fix that.

Tim, I'll talk to you at Autobahn tomorrow. We're having a meeting at lunch at Griswold's pit. Follow the blue AIX car and it'll lead you there. Otherwise, I'm paddocked south of the concession stand with the rest of the Firebird mullet crew.

In Robs defense, what I have seen was a bunch of posts telling Rob how to take his S197 platform back into the 90's.

Tim, I'll talk to you at Autobahn tomorrow. We're having a meeting at lunch at Griswold's pit. Follow the blue AIX car and it'll lead you there. Otherwise, I'm paddocked south of the concession stand with the rest of the Firebird mullet crew.

Sounds good TJ. If I ever figuat out what I am doing Ill head your way

Someone posted this on the Mazda racers board. Is our tire situation not as dire as thought?

Crain News Service report

SENDAI, Japan (April 18, 2011) — Output at Toyo Tire & Rubber Co. Ltd.’s car tire plant in Sendai is up to 70 percent of capacity and should reach 100 percent in May, the company said.

Output stopped after the earthquake March 11 and has been recovering slowly. Initial production re-started on April 8. As of April 10, output was 40 percent, but that rose to 70 percent on April 12.

“The plan for the future is to step up the rate of operations in stages while responding flexibly to supply and logistical issues, so that by May, operations may resume at full capacity,” Toyo said.

Someone posted this on the Mazda racers board. Is our tire situation not as dire as thought?

Crain News Service report

SENDAI, Japan (April 18, 2011) — Output at Toyo Tire & Rubber Co. Ltd.’s car tire plant in Sendai is up to 70 percent of capacity and should reach 100 percent in May, the company said.

Output stopped after the earthquake March 11 and has been recovering slowly. Initial production re-started on April 8. As of April 10, output was 40 percent, but that rose to 70 percent on April 12.

“The plan for the future is to step up the rate of operations in stages while responding flexibly to supply and logistical issues, so that by May, operations may resume at full capacity,” Toyo said.

All,

We have another round table call tonight and we will certainly bring this up when we discuss the long term planning regarding this issue. Thanks for bringing it up in this thread.

Glad to see there are some positive signs coming from the affected areas.

So the big question will be what priority will Toyo put on producing race tires vs street tires when they try to fill the backlog. I'm guessing the race tire portion isn't a big money maker and is actually considered advertising. Are they going to support their dealer network with street tires or support the dudes that recommend tires to their friends/family who aren't "car" people.

Based on past performance, I have some thoughts...

Richard P.

I doubt I am the only one but I for one saw this as the golden opportunity to get out of situation with toyo as spec tire.

Reminders:

- availability was an issue well before earthquake excuse....yeah big time actually so sorry if that is rough comment.

- contigency...well it sucks

= cost was very high for 18 inch tires (I know this wasnt the case for everyone and respect that).

There are many of us who want an american iron series run on american tires. Plain and simple. And a company who supports the racers.

I beg of you Todd and others do not I repeat do not allow DOT open tires and then for nationals say spec toyo's.

My guess is many may just pass on it then as to much back and forth.

I recall when we were suppose to have tires all this year well before eatherquake and then they werent going to be available to June at earilest.

Time to drop and punt and not look back

All,

Just got off the phone with all the AI directors, Jeremy (contingency guru), and JWL. The Toyo issue is still very cloudy, as the motorsport group within Toyo isn't exactly sure what is going to show up in the next container. So, there "may" be more 17's, and there might not be. It's already widely known that the 18's are now made of unobtanium and there is no hope on the immediate horizon for those sizes.

There is still a very minimal supply of RA1's in 17" sizes in the nation if you look hard enough. We are working diligently to update the racer's with official press releases as the situations develop.

What to do with National's was discussed and still needs time to brew before an announcement can be made (which will come from either Todd or Jeremy).

All,

Just got off the phone with all the AI directors, Jeremy (contingency guru), and JWL. The Toyo issue is still very cloudy, as the motorsport group within Toyo isn't exactly sure what is going to show up in the next container. So, there "may" be more 17's, and there might not be. It's already widely known that the 18's are now made of unobtanium and there is no hope on the immediate horizon for those sizes.

There is still a very minimal supply of RA1's in 17" sizes in the nation if you look hard enough. We are working diligently to update the racer's with official press releases as the situations develop.

What to do with National's was discussed and still needs time to brew before an announcement can be made (which will come from either Todd or Jeremy).

edit: frustrated out of line . apologies.

just wish we could stop making changes to changes after I have already spent good money on tires that now may be of no use to me because we made a change and may have another change.

Edited by Guest

Steve,

Chill out. You're statements are just plain wrong and speculative. Call Jay directly for more clarity. Stop muking up the forums with speculation that you don't have any facts. I suggest all people who need to buy tires call their regional AI director directly. Each region may have a different regional solution. Nothing will be posted for Nationals officially for a number of weeks.

EVERYONE PLEASE CONTACT YOUR REGIONAL AI DIRECTOR WITH QUESTIONS!

All,

Just in case anyone is interested we have 140 - 275/40R17 RA-1's in stock. That should be enough for someone...