First DE at CMP, need advice

MikeAtl

Hi All, I'm planning my third DE, but it will be my first at CMP, on April 30. Have done two at RA and had a blast.

I'm looking for any advice for CMP. How is the paddock? Which hotel is best, and how far is it from the track.

Will bring my DD 2004 Infiniti G35, with relatively new rotors, HP+ pads and fresh ATE 200. These held up well at RA. Is CMP tough on brakes? I'll need to drive it home to Atlanta.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mike

• Members
Hi All, I'm planning my third DE, but it will be my first at CMP, on April 30. Have done two at RA and had a blast.

I'm looking for any advice for CMP. How is the paddock? Which hotel is best, and how far is it from the track.

Will bring my DD 2004 Infiniti G35, with relatively new rotors, HP+ pads and fresh ATE 200. These held up well at RA. Is CMP tough on brakes? I'll need to drive it home to Atlanta.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mike

Paddock is all grass. If possible, rent a garage as they are worth it. For hotel, I would stay at the Executive Inn in Kershaw as it is about 4 miles from the track. It is not the most luxurious but is convenient. Ask for the NASA rate.

CMP is very sandy and is tougher on brakes and tires than Road Atlanta. I can't tell you how tough because both times I have been there I have had motor problems (including the first lap last time ). It is a fun track though and you will enjoy it.

def bring extra brakes for CMP, even if its street stuff so you can drive the car home on that.

There are a few little bit nicer hotels in Camden that alot of people use as well, longer drive to the track though. To me it was worth it to not stay in the Executioner, but YMMV.

CMP -- three 90* turns connected by a three drag races and two drift contests.

CMP is hard on brakes and can be hard on tires. Make sure you bring an extra set of pads just in case you need them to get home. Keep an eagle eye on the wear of the shoulders of your tires and rotate them from left to right after your sessions on Saturday to even out the wear on Sunday.

-Kevin

Come by and visit, I will be there in my 350Z racer and with a another 350z race...we will be in the Garage area

Do your have Brembo brakes?

Note: I will have some spare Brembo pads/rotors/fluid and stuff if you have an emergency.

I just purchased a new set of pads and rotors as backups for this event...

Thanks laze1, I'll definitely stop by if I make it. No it is a non-Brembo 6mt sedan. I'll have spare pads and fluid with me as well, maybe a set of rotors too.

This will be my third weekend at CMP (first one with NASA though). It is a harder track than RA in my opinion to keep your speed up through the turns- very satisfying when you start to nail it. It is pretty flat but the good news is if you go off track it doesn't mean kissing a wall or armco in most areas. It is harder on brakes and tires. I have not had the brake and tire eating experience yet, probably since I am not fast enough for that yet, but it has shaved off a noticable bit of life from them.

I have stayed in the Executive Inn right down the road and it is hit or miss from what I hear- convenient and reasonable but a borderline roach motel. There is also very little as far as places to eat or things to do right in Kershaw. Others are about 20-25 minute drive but nicer and have better restaurants around. I plan to stay at one right off the highway since I need good Internet during this trip. See you there!

Super 8 - 1201 HWY 9 by-pass, Lancaster, SC 803-283-1200

Knights Inn - 322 East DeKalb Street, Camden, SC 803-432-2453

Executive Inn - 301 S. Hampton St, Kershaw, SC 803-475-7575

Quality Inn - 850 Hwy 1 South, Lugoff ,SC 803-438-9441

Days Inn - 529 Highway 601 S, Lugoff, SC 803-438-6990

JAMESON INN, 114 Commerce Blvd (off Hwy 9 by pass), Lancaster, SC 803/283-1188

Colony Inn would be the only place I would stay at. Normally at CMP I camp, and I'm not really a camper to be honest but they have wifi and hot showers, so they already have the Executive Inn in Kershaw beat.

Colony Inn is in Camden, so you are looking at a 20-25 minute drive. In my opinion, the Colony is only marginally better than the Executioner. If you are willing to go to Camden, there are better hotels to choose. I have stayed at the Colony plenty of times, but it was because my room was comp'ed for working the event. I would never pay to stay there.

I have only paid to stay at the Executioner because it was so close. But it sucks.

-Kevin

Colony Inn is in Camden, so you are looking at a 20-25 minute drive. In my opinion, the Colony is only marginally better than the Executioner. If you are willing to go to Camden, there are better hotels to choose. I have stayed at the Colony plenty of times, but it was because my room was comp'ed for working the event. I would never pay to stay there.

I have only paid to stay at the Executioner because it was so close. But it sucks.

-Kevin

Thanks for the info. I will probably stay at the Comfort Inn in Camden. The more I think about it the more I don't think I could take another weekend at the Executioner. I would rather get up a little earlier. It's a straight easy drive down 521.

FYI, camping at CMP isn't that bad... especially for the time of the year this event will be... showers are plenty nice and wifi in the paddock, can't beat it.

FYI, camping at CMP isn't that bad... especially for the time of the year this event will be... showers are plenty nice and wifi in the paddock, can't beat it.

WiFi in the paddock? Where at- any particular section?

Close to the tower. The router is actually located in the tower, but I believe they use a cantenna and pick it up all the way in the garages.

Oh, and I will second the point that CMP is brutal on brakes. Bring spare pads. Better to have them and not need them..... Also make sure you check your tires and rotate them as needed. I've corded my left front tire there more than once due to my own failure on that issue.

Note sure I can rotate side to side as I have directional tires.

Unless it is raining, you can rotate them however you want.

Note sure I can rotate side to side as I have directional tires.

Unless it is raining, you can rotate them however you want.

Yep, no problem at all. just rotate them to normal street direction before you drive home.

I did that once at VIR when the tires I hauled with me corded and I had to run my street tires the rest of the event.

Close to the tower. The router is actually located in the tower, but I believe they use a cantenna and pick it up all the way in the garages.

Oh, and I will second the point that CMP is brutal on brakes. Bring spare pads. Better to have them and not need them..... Also make sure you check your tires and rotate them as needed. I've corded my left front tire there more than once due to my own failure on that issue.

Thanks. Good idea- I should bring some extra pads and a serpentine belt just in case (little things that can leave me stranded).

When I was driving to events I always carried a "these will get me home" set of pads.

Now I carry a set of "these will get me one TT session and on the trailer" pads.