First DE at CMP, need advice

MikeAtl

I realize that I'm resurrecting a year old thread here, but this thread has been really useful to me since I've also done one track day at Road Atlanta (where I got signed off to go to HPDE2), and this will be my first event at CMP. I've decided to try to camp at CMP after reading the posts in this thread.

I'd like to continue the discussion on the topics of brake pads at CMP. (Mods, if you want me to create a new thread, i'll happily do so.)

Anyways, I just found out yesterday (after researching and reading a ton, and talking to the helpful guys at DiscoveryParts) that my Hawk HP+ pads on my miata won't cut it for CMP, which i'm running this weekend (19th & 20th) and also two weeks later on June 1-2.

I'm in pre-panic mode trying to figure out what I parts need to buy and run for these weekends (and get them here in time!), so I was wondering if you all could share your experience with me.

I'm running HPDE 2 (will have an instructor as much as possible to show me the ropes) in a 91 miata with hardtop and hard dog single diagonal roll bar. Interior is still intact, but with racing seats and harnesses. Its got Kosei K1TS wheels with Kuhmo Ecsta XS's and shocks/springs/sway bar upgrades. Engine is stock internals with an aftermarket exhaust. Brakes are stock size with blanks and HP+ pads. I'm running ATE super blue that has one track day on it since it was bled, but i'm going to bleed them again to be safe. I want to do anything that I can to prevent issues.

I was told that I should run hawk blues and change them at the track (by Discovery Parts). My questions are:

1) How long might I expect Hawk Blue's to last? Would I be able to get by with one set of pads for both weekends or is that a foolish hope?

2) Will I need extra rotors dedicated to the Hawk Blues?

How about extra pads (like a second set of blues, besides my HP+'s to get to the track and home)?

If I don't hear anything back soon, I'll be buying a set of Hawk Blues and possibly an extra set of rotors for this weekend.

I'm seeing that I'm in over my head now...I drive the car to the track. and barely have enough room as it is, WITHOUT a bunch of spares and my gigantic jack (although i'm sure i could borrow one from someone, i don't want to have to do so). I was also planning to camp, so attempt to add in a small tent and i'm WAY out of room. Time to get a trailer behind the miata or a tow vehicle...but that's not an option for this upcoming weekend.

Any experience that you all could provide would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

-Mike

• Members

I run Hawk blues on my American Iron Mustang and they last several events. With your Miata being more of a momentum car, yours should last longer. A set of rotors last me a year.

CMP is a fun track, wish I could make it.

In a 2001 v6 Mustang the blues on the front lasted a few events including at least one full event at CMP so they should last you one event.

FYI - bring a few rags to wipe the dust off your wheels and car. The barke dust turns to concrete if it gets wet.