trackaddict

Atlanta Motor Speedway - Course map and questions

trackaddict

Is there a map of the course we will run? Additionally, I have heard that the transition from the infield to the oval is a very hard bump. I am worried on damaging a shock on my street car.

Thanks!

chumpy36
Is there a map of the course we will run? Additionally, I have heard that the transition from the infield to the oval is a very hard bump. I am worried on damaging a shock on my street car.

Thanks!

Hi Nabil,

Jason Holland here. I was your instructor on Sunday at Road Atlanta. As for your questions, I think I might have a track map somewhere. I'll see what I can dig up. As for the transition at AMS. The bump is not that bad. Especially for a street suspension.

Hope to see you there!

Jason

Jim P.

Here you go... the key note to remember is that we are going to run it 'clockwise' :

AMSTrackAerial600.jpg

FYI - NASCAR runs it 'counter-clockwise'

trackaddict
Hi Nabil,

Jason Holland here. I was your instructor on Sunday at Road Atlanta. As for your questions, I think I might have a track map somewhere. I'll see what I can dig up. As for the transition at AMS. The bump is not that bad. Especially for a street suspension.

Hope to see you there!

Jason

Hi Jason - thanks for your instruction on Sunday. It was fantastic. I look forward to sharpening my skills at the next event based on your input and feedback at the end of the day!

trackaddict
Here you go... the key note to remember is that we are going to run it 'clockwise' :

AMSTrackAerial600.jpg

Sorry for being such a novice but I am having a hard time making out the actual path we'll drive... Can someone trace it onto the track picture and post it up please?

Thanks in advance.

chumpy36

AMSTrackAerial600

Sorry for being such a novice but I am having a hard time making out the actual path we'll drive... Can someone trace it onto the track picture and post it up please?

Thanks in advance.

Try this....

http://www.c2racing.com/gallery/misc/AMSTrackAerial600

AMSTrackAerial600[/img]

trackaddict

Thanks Jason - I was actually thinking that is the course but wasn't sure. It is a whole lot of time on the banking. Looks fun!!!

krisko

Damn, that looks really fun. Should be pretty high speed using all of the nascar course.

I might be a little worried about someone blowing the braking zone to the infield and staying on the banking.

chumpy36
Damn, that looks really fun. Should be pretty high speed using all of the nascar course.

I might be a little worried about someone blowing the braking zone to the infield and staying on the banking.

It is fun. We were here last year with scca. It's likely we'll need to stay down on the lower apron (they make all clubs do that) but you dont need the high banking at the low speeds we will be going. Believe me, it's PLENTY fast.

hrk

Jason,

Seesh, You drew out our secret lines there? Those extra moves at Nascar banks were the key to successful laptimes and now everyone knows them.

At least you didn't show the place where car needs to be put on reverse after spinning, so we have some hope.

hrk

chumpy36
Jason,

Seesh, You drew out our secret lines there? Those extra moves at Nascar banks were the key to successful laptimes and now everyone knows them.

At least you didn't show the place where car needs to be put on reverse after spinning, so we have some hope.

hrk

Sorry. I meant to be more secretive. I'll try to keep your super secret spin strategy to myself in the future!

Jason

12for12

thx for the infield track map. Looks quick, any idea what's a good laptime?

thanks,

Thomas

chumpy36
thx for the infield track map. Looks quick, any idea what's a good laptime?

thanks,

Thomas

I did a 1:40:411 there in the spec miata. The fastest spec miatas were doing 1:37's

Jim P.

See... I heard that the yellow line below represented Jason's true line around the AMS...

AMSTrackAerial600Jason.jpg

(just kidding, I couldn't resist!)

chumpy36
See... I heard that the yellow line below represented Jason's true line around the AMS...

AMSTrackAerial600Jason.jpg

(just kidding, I couldn't resist!)

Yeah, you guys make jokes but that is the fastest way around the track. Of course you need an suv but I can put some numbers on it!

Jason

95CobraR

It is fun. We were here last year with scca. It's likely we'll need to stay down on the lower apron (they make all clubs do that) but you dont need the high banking at the low speeds we will be going. Believe me, it's PLENTY fast.

I did the counter-clockwise course several times. It had tough transitions. We also had several guys break too late going from the banking into the inield and hit the wall (if you find you are going too fast just run through the cones). We also had people actually turn over (it's very off-camber with a big bump). I think the clockwise should work alot better but that is still a 180 degree hard right turn into the infield (from my look at the pics).

You'll see alot more g-forces here. Some cars suffered oil starvation. Be sure and watch your oil pressure guage.

At the driver's meeting they requested that people pass high on the banking. Slower cars stay low.

Watch out for the local mounties when on the street. They look for out-of-state/county tags.

bosco500

We had a horrible time there last year. Our team blew up 2 motors and totaled 1 car. Hopefully it will be better this year in the GSR! Here is a few pics of the wreck. David is lucky to still have his legs attached. He eased his left front tire onto the banking at 130 mph, and this is what happened.

d1.jpg

d2.jpg

d3.jpg

chumpy36

yeah, we saw that wreck happen. I was sure they were gonna have to scoop him out zanardi style. I was so glad to see he get up under his own power.

Better luck this next time!

Jim P.

Those F500's can fly! just like a shifter-kart!

We have been considering running it one way on saturday and reversing direction on sunday - just to make it a challenge...

89lx50

both directions on the same weekend would be cool.