Recommendations: 4-Dr Sedan For Dual DD/HPDE Use

kedvesh

Greetings!

I've been a one-car guy for a number of years and am fortunate to own from new a 2002 Corvette Coupe. I use it as a DD and for the three to five weekends a year I can get out to a HPDE.

Due to various happenings in my life (both good and not-so-good), I may have to consider selling the C5 and get a 4-door sedan. I want something sporty, that's not prone to problems, that's a decent DD (combination city/highway), and that I can kick the snot out of during the occasional HPDE.

However, not having owned anything but two doors cars (includes an old 1977 Ford Maverick), I'm at a loss to know what would be the best among the most recent crop of cars for my intended operating environment.

Yes; I've seen CTS-Vs, Bimmers and even G37s out at the track. But, not being at a track 24/7 and having neighbors and coworkers who's only exposure to a road course is the craziness of I-95 limits the local availability of applicable opinions.

So, what say ye...in your opinion, what four door - new or used - would be a good DD & occasional HPDE machine?

Thanks in advance for the constructive comments!

A clean Evo VIII or IX (I am not biased one bit )

Subaru WRX (or STi)

Audi A4 (usually not beaten on but parts would probably be expensive)

The question I would ask , Are you looking for something with similar power and rwd to the vette or just something fun?

Similar in power and Rwd i would go with a BMW m3 sedan I know the power is a little off but would make a great car for both dd and track

If you are looking for something fun you can't go wrong, like stated above, with and EVO or STI you could even look at the Acura TSX

RX8 - takes a bit of special care and feeding (check the oil & keep the ignition system fresh enough mainly), gas mileage sucks, but kick ass track car. Does seat 4 pretty good to boot

Thanks for the comments posted thus far!

Besides my old Ford Maverick and my current 2002 'Vette, I dabbled in a 1996 BMW 328i (Sport Pkg) for a few months back in the late 90s. Should have never gotten rid of the bimmer (damn finances). That was a fun car. Would have been a nice match to the C5.

I'm actually trending towards BMWs again (335 or M3)--not sure a 328 would give me enough 'Umph!' after the 'Vette. Normal MPG of the M3 worries me. Overall though, I'm leary about the rumors and/or comments out there about late model bimmers having electrical problems and being expensive to maintain after the warranty runs out. Then again, what am I saying? I've been paying the 'Corvette Tax' for years.

Guess I'll have to do a lot of test driving in BMWs, Audi S4s, G37s, Stis, GTIs, CST-Vs, MazdaSpeed3s, Acura, etc. in the next bunch-o-months.

Note: Another observation impacting my decision process. Why pay the premium on a BMW when a Honda Accord seems to have more interior and trunk space than a 3-series? I will admit though that a BMW has a totally different (and better) driving personality than a Honda.

The problem here is all the above suggestions are UNAMERICAN.

Last month I instructed a guy in a GTO. Not 4-door but has a back seat. Got yer Vette motor.

The dude was fast.

The car was faster than I expected and I enjoyed the ride.

When I grow up I want a CTS-V

Last month I instructed a guy in a GTO. Not 4-door but has a back seat. Got yer Vette motor.

The dude was fast.

If you get a CTS-V get the wagon. It is both practical and bitchin'.

The dude was fast.

If you get a CTS-V get the wagon. It is both practical and bitchin'.

As I inferred in an as yet unposted response (still being vetted at this time by the moderator, I assume), I would love to test drive a CTS-V.

Actually drove a rental 1st Gen CTS sedan (auto) a few years ago on the 1.5 mile (or there-abouts) track at Little Talladega. If you can believe it, I actually melted the valve stem caps off the front wheels! Yes, they got that hot. The car needed a better suspension set-up for the track to deal with the body roll. Was most disappointed by the gas mileage on the highway; for a road car, it could have done better.

Price range?

Pontiac G8 perhaps?

Used 335i, E46 330i ZHP, E36 M3 Sedan? (<-- in order from most to least expensive)

Stay away from Audi's (too heavy). I'd avoid the 335 (they've had trouble with heat). You wont find any better sedan for the track than any 3 series. The E36 M3 and E46 ZHP are very comparable in terms of performance.

Thanks for alll the input!

As noted earlier, there's a lot of test driving in my future.

I'm at a PCA event on VIR this weekend. A friend has suggested I look at the Porsche Cayman S while I'm down here. Yeah, it's not a sedan, which is what I need, but what the hey!

Would love to find a sporty, track liveable, USA sedan if I can, of course. Need to do more internet research.

Later!

AWD +4 doors makes a great mix for folks that want a race car and have seats in the back and can drive in any weather. There are a bunch of options, but I prefer either Evo or STi. The Evo VIII/IX is a bit short on manners on the street but the Xs are very civil on the street. If you don't mind giving up some street manners the Evo IXs are amazing.

As already asked, price range?

First gen CTS-V is a great all around car. I have one, so I'm biased. That said, I can get up to 28 mpg on the highway at 75. It's comfortable and can haul 4 adults around. 4-piston Brembos all the way around, good handling stock, etc. I run mine in TTB. They can be found in good shape for under $20k nowadays as well. I know a lot of people say they weigh too much, but as mine sits currently it weighs the same or less as a new M3.

Target is south of $50K. I hope to find something off-lease and gently used by that grandmother who only drove it to church on Sundays.

50k will buy you a nicely modded STi or EVO that can perform all the above responsibilities and then some. living in NoVA, the AWD would help with all weather conditions...

those BMW options are nice too. and some off season tires could make things more bearable.

I have an STi, so maybe i'm biased... L:D

$50k buys a nice $40k DD and a nice $10k disposable track car...

I agree with Ken. Separate your DD from your track car. That way you don't need to worry about flogging it.

you're not a real racer unless it's $49k race car/$1k DD

you're not a real foolish racer unless it's $49k race car/$1k DD

Fix it for you

Newer Audi S4?

I agree with Ken. Separate your DD from your track car. That way you don't need to worry about flogging it.

Make that three. One of the best decisions I made was to get a DD. And IMHO you can get one heck of a nice DD for less than $40k. Hell my last three DDs cost me $15,500. Total.