Recommendations: 4-Dr Sedan For Dual DD/HPDE Use

kedvesh

I'd pick something that is cheap to maintain - meaning both in spares and track maintenance. The cars mentioned here will be somewhat expensive.

At some point the DD functionality will drop to maintaining a tag and driving to/from the track only. There is a point of no return when track performance outweighs NVH.

My vote is a bug-eye WRX. Less than 10K.

I own an e36 m3 sedan and I love it! It's the same size as the coupes, but with 4 doors for the utility alone its a great option. That being said, I bought it for south of 9,000 and also have a Spec Miata as my dedicated race car.

I would seperate them out if you have the room. With $50,000 you can buy a lot in both the DD and the track sides, hell with $20,000 you can buy a lot in both.

If you must only get one car to do duel duty and it must be a sedan, the e36 m3 sedan is a great option, and a lot cehaper than the newer Bimmers/Porsches/Audis. The e36 has no leg room in the back, tends to fall apart in the interior (fixable, very minor), and plan on a suspension and bushing overhaul, but he engines last forever (wel over 250,000). The e46 ZHP is a very viable option, and much more luxorious for minor cost increase (say a good one for ~16,000). Will cost more in mainteneance and expendables (brakes, tires, ect) but also a newer chassis to begin with.

If you can do a 2 door (like the caymen), I would seriously look into Honda S2000's. Much cheaper on initial cost and much more reliable than a Caymen. Also, with very minimal mods, can be a great DD/track car. Add a roll bar, wheels + tires, and a nice suspension setup and you can have a great DD/track toy for well under $25,000! Albeit, there is no room in that car for anything. Golf clubs go in the passenger seat.

Good luck!

ps, to the WRX/EVO crowd. I did the DD/track with my bugeye and it is NOT easy on tires/brakes, wheel bearings, or turbos if you are TTing/racing it. They are reat DDs though! FYI.

you're not a real foolish racer unless it's $49k race car/$1k DD

Fix it for you

foolish = racer is already understood

$50k buys a nice $40k DD and a nice $10k disposable track car...

you're not a real racer unless it's $49k race car/$1k DD

I'm getting close . . . . . . . . . .

I kinda have the split up DD and track car I have a 03 CRV Daily Driver and 93 Integra track car. The best part is if my track car breaks down I am not too worried about because I can still get back and forth to work.

If you can go get a 10 to 15 k track car then 20k DD (that can tow your car to the track aka crew cab truck) 5k trailer and have some money left for parts for the track car.

• 2 weeks later...

ps, to the WRX/EVO crowd. I did the DD/track with my bugeye and it is NOT easy on tires/brakes, wheel bearings, or turbos if you are TTing/racing it. They are reat DDs though! FYI.

I've beat the crap out of my 02 WRX DD/track car for over a year and have had NO problems. I would eat through NAPA Adaptive One pads about every other event, but they're cheap. Had my Dunlop Star Specs for 6 events, and they're about halfway gone(245/40/17). My bugeye weighs 3196 lbs with me in it and 1/4 tank of gas. I'm also putting 300hp to the wheels (about 400) at the crank. You just have to make sure you don't overheat it and do NOT run out of oil.

I only had Carbotech XP10/XP8's on for one event before I wrecked, but those pads were AMAZING!

+1 for ANY WRX/STi. Even a new STi for a DD and a used 02-05 WRX (02-03 bugeye, 04-05 blob eye) for the track would keep you under $50k and I know a GREAT tuner that could get you a LOT more reliable power from the Subaru!!!

PM me if you want more details!!!

Thanks for the continued ideas everyone! Have not made any final decisions yet. Although I'm still targeting a single, dual-use DD/track car, I do like the suggested idea of having a good DD and a beater/hardy track car that's easy on the wallet (both parts and if, heavens forbid, a wall decides to say 'Hi!' all of a sudden.)

Regards to the forum,

Chris

+4 for WRX, especially since you live in an area that gets rain in the summer and snow in the winter. I have an 09, paid 23k brand new, put about 5K in handling and power mods over the past 2 yrs (plus a Recaro seat), now 400 hp fun DD. Nothing funner than pulling out of the car wash and doing a 4 wheel power slide through 3 gears with the reflections of exhaust fireballs glowing in your rear view every shift. Tracked it during early DE days, now have a $2.5K rx7 for track car. Grand total, $30K+-.

Now you can put $20k into buying silver bullion and bury it under your Rottweiler's doghouse.

• 4 weeks later...

To add some American Iron to the list.

Pontiac G8. The GT even comes with a standard transmission.

The new Caprice Cop car. Stealthy with 4 doors and some dealers are selling them to the public. Not real expensive compared to a CTS-V. Or a mid 1990's ImpalaSS. Tons of room big trunk and surprisingly agile for a two ton car.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for ANY WRX/STi. Even a new STi for a DD and a used 02-05 WRX (02-03 bugeye, 04-05 blob eye) for the track would keep you under $50k and I know a GREAT tuner that could get you a LOT more reliable power from the Subaru!!!

PM me if you want more details!!!

But why would you chose to track the WRX and not the STI? Cost aside (tracking the cheaper car makes sense to a lot of sane people ) the STI has a lot of additional features that are beneficial on a track car over what the WRX comes with.

• 2 weeks later...

But why would you chose to track the WRX and not the STI? Cost aside (tracking the cheaper car makes sense to a lot of sane people ) the STI has a lot of additional features that are beneficial on a track car over what the WRX comes with.

b/c I had less than $10k in my WRX and I could turn low 1:40's at RA and high 1:40's at CMP. Bigger brakes are a moot point unless you're going REALLY fast and experiencing brake fade (I had none with stock brakes and Carbotech pads). 6 speed trans? eh, IMO the 5 speed is better on track b/c the gears are longer. Pros and cons to every difference between the WRX and STi.

So, OP....you got that Subaru yet?

• 4 weeks later...

G8 GT, but I'm biased. (Had the 02 equivalent back home in Australia) Plus, you can get all sorts of goodies for them. Big enough for 4-5 adults and flies when you hit the loud pedal.

Matt

• 3 weeks later...

I would suggest taking a G8 GT for a test drive as well. I've taken mine to the track and it handled it just fine, its definitely a little heavy but has plenty of power to get going out there. You should be able to find a relatively low mileage GT for under 30k which is a great deal to me considering you can take it to the track and its also a nice DD too.