FR500s ABS

99cobra2881

What's it take to install a FR500S ABS onto an older mustang? All the talk about it being maybe better has got me interested in trying it on my '00 GT race car.

Thanks guys,

Anthony

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• robbodleimages

• D Algozine

• marshallmosty

• nape

as long as toyo tires are the spec tire you want a shelby gt500 abs. i'd wait to see how all this tire stuff

skakes out.

Im over on HP and under weight so my tire situation hasn't changed.

So by saying that I would want a shelby GT500 ABS is this a bolt on mod?

What's it take to install a FR500S ABS onto an older mustang? All the talk about it being maybe better has got me interested in trying it on my '00 GT race car.

1st, how old ? do you have abs now at all ?

Your going to need a hcu "hydraulic control box" from a 07/09 gt500 mustang. Your going to need either a module for that hcu from either a gt500 or a ford racing calibrated fr500s module.

Your also going to need a body harness from a abs s197 mustang and you will need to sit down and cut all the abs wires from it as well as acquire the abs wheels speed sensors.

What I would do then is mount that abs module someplace in the inside of the car and bend all new lines to each of your brakes. Run the wiring from the s197 harness to each wheel then installl your wheel speed sensors.

You will need abs tone rings as well if your car has no abs on it.

with all that installed a taking a few of the abs body wiring harness hots wires to a hot source and a good ground you should be good.

as so I happen have a few extra hcu units and gt500 and fr500s modules along with a abs wiring harness already cut out of a harness and ready to install.

I've done this install and know of a few others that have done it as well.

Steve

What's it take to install a FR500S ABS onto an older mustang?

as so I happen have a few extra hcu units and gt500 and fr500s modules along with a abs wiring harness already cut out of a harness and ready to install.

I've done this install and know of a few others that have done it as well.

Steve

I'd be interested in more details on this as well. I've got a Fox Mustang with ABS from a '94 GT. Are the tone rings and the sensors compatable? My system is three channel so at a minimum I would have to run another line to the rear axle and redo the plumbing back there.

Is any of your ABS hardware for sale?

Richard P.

I'd be interested in more details on this as well. I've got a Fox Mustang with ABS from a '94 GT. Are the tone rings and the sensors compatable? My system is three channel so at a minimum I would have to run another line to the rear axle and redo the plumbing back there.

Is any of your ABS hardware for sale?

I'm not sure on the tone rings and sensors from your car working with this system. I've only done it with other s197 cars. Maybe Jay Andrew will see this and chime in. Pretty sure he has this on his 86 mustang.

Yes, what abs hardware I have left is for sale .

Steve

• Members

I installed the FR500S ABS in my Fox body mustang. It works VERY well and it worked very well with the RA-1 tires.

I had some rear lock up issues but changeed to a slighlty lower friction compund in the rear and fixed the problem. Hawk DTC-70 front with DTC-60 rear worked very well. It is very important to use calipers with the same piston area as the FR500S cars. I used the same calipers that they used.

The tone rings are the same for the S-197 and SN95 mustangs on the front. the rear tone rings I used were the front S-197. the sensors are different. I used the S-197 sensors. it is a bit of work to get the sensors to fit. that is the hardest part. wiring and plumbing just takes time. A hand pump hydraulic flairing tool is a must.

This is not a weekend project and took some tuning and tweeking to get it right. Since there is not documentation on this I initiall had one of the brake lines in the wrong port of the pump and one of the sensor wires backwards. lots of lock up the first test weekend. Jeff Feit helped me hotwire one of the wires into my AIM dash to turn on a warning light if the ABS unit sends a fault code.

Jay Andrew

I installed the FR500S ABS in my Fox body mustang. It works VERY well and it worked very well with the RA-1 tires.

I had some rear lock up issues but changeed to a slighlty lower friction compund in the rear and fixed the problem. Hawk DTC-70 front with DTC-60 rear worked very well. It is very important to use calipers with the same piston area as the FR500S cars. I used the same calipers that they used.

The tone rings are the same for the S-197 and SN95 mustangs on the front. the rear tone rings I used were the front S-197. the sensors are different. I used the S-197 sensors. it is a bit of work to get the sensors to fit. that is the hardest part. wiring and plumbing just takes time. A hand pump hydraulic flairing tool is a must.

This is not a weekend project and took some tuning and tweeking to get it right. Since there is not documentation on this I initiall had one of the brake lines in the wrong port of the pump and one of the sensor wires backwards. lots of lock up the first test weekend. Jeff Feit helped me hotwire one of the wires into my AIM dash to turn on a warning light if the ABS unit sends a fault code.

Jay Andrew

Jay,

Can provide any details about installing this system on my 2000 Camaro ?

Had to ask

guess if you could figure out tone rings and a sensor mounting points I don't see why you couldn't ?

did it have a abs ?

My car is a '00 GT w/ Brembo front calipers and an IRS. Ive just switched to Hankook z214 c51 compound. I couldnt pass them up for the price.

Thank you for answering my question about what it takes to install the newer ABS. I may look into it for next season. Sounds like a winter project.

Jay,

Had to ask

C5 Z06 abs works as a standalone unit...and the tone rings are same count as a 4 channel 4th gen F body.

Jay,

Had to ask

C5 Z06 abs works as a standalone unit...and the tone rings are same count as a 4 channel 4th gen F body.

Interesting.

Has anyone completed the install? If so, any details ? Also, is it a performance advantage and does it work?

Any data / info to confirm that the Z06 system is any better then the LS1 Camaro?

Oh My God...the GM guys are starting to work toward solutions!

ABS is for cake eaters.

I totally agree. It's like admitting you have a problem, or playing a game on "easy" mode.

careful about that ala mode stuff. too much of that and you'll need a new race seat.

I've been working on my inferior chassis so much that I need a 16" instead of a 17" seat. Bring on the pie eating contest.

Oh My God...the GM guys are starting to work toward solutions!

ABS is for cake eaters.

I totally agree. It's like admitting you have a problem, or playing a game on "easy" mode.

I couldn't agree more. I dont see any reason for ABS in racing (at least not in amateur racing), but I've got to at least look into it. Sure it's more money, more R&D and more time, but I dont want to have any excuses for myself. For my own peice of mind, I need to find out what it will cost, what it's going to take and then determine if it's worth it.

I know this has been discussed before what about a SERIOUS thought to no ABS in AI? I know alot of people are used to it and for all I know 90% of AI racers think it is crazy to even discuss the thought of not having it.

CMC has never had it. My Fox has 4-piston StopTechs with the same 275 RA1's y'all run. I have small lock ups every race but that is the finess racing is about.

The series needs to be about the DRIVERS and nothing makes it more equal than everyone running the same system (or lack of a system).