Driveshaft Loop

RockLobster

The inspectors tech sheet for competition annual inspection has a check box for driveshaft loop. During my annual inspection on my PT RX-7 this year (and for the first time) we were told we needed a driveshaft loop.

I do not see any such requirement in the CCR. I also don't see any requirement in the PT rules. For curiosity's sake i looked at the AI, spec miata, and spec 944 rules, and CMC rules.

CMC and AI rules specifically call for it. Spec Miata and Spec944 do not as far as i can tell.

I have to assume this isn't required in my case as the rules having jurisdiction for PT cars don't call for it. I hope not anyway, less than a week till our first race and no time to install one before the event.

I can't see how it would be required in a class that allows FWD. In any case, you can install one in about 5 minutes, so I'm pretty sure you can find the time.

It's not that easy lol. There is limited space under there unlike an AI car. The clearance to the tunnel is VERY small. It would need to be fabricated and would take a fair amount of screwing around.

But if you can do it in 5min, you're hired. I work during the week.

The point is, why would i do it if it is not required? Because of the chassis design on this car it wouldn't really improve safety all that much, if at all.

the word "loop" does not appear in the 2011 CCRs

the word "driveshaft"" also does not appear in the 2011 CCRs

PT rules refer you to the CCRs for safety requirements except to supercede ballast mounting prodecures and to also allow you extra attachment points if you take the points to do so.

Might be smart to politely ask your tech inspector to refer you to the proper spot in the CCRs that contains said driveshaft loop requirement, because I can't find it, and my computer can't find it either

I am asking him. I know him fairly well, im sure he will say its fine with him but ultimately up to the regional scrutineer.

Just thought i might start the discussion...since it is on the general tech form for all cars regardless of class...

• 3 weeks later...

After seeing the underside of the tunnel in a mustang i can see why you say 5 min....

But with a larger diameter (aluminum) driveshaft in a small tunnel to begin with (jap car) it would be a ton of messing around...