Finding the right spec wheels

MDizzle

Ideally, the best wheels are the basketweaves off an E34 which are 15x7 et20 correct?

I'm looking for an additional set of wheels...and I've come across 15x7 et20's that claim to be off of an E39 (the 5 series younger than the E34); however, I thought that the E34 and E39 wheels are not interchangeable. Is it that the hubs that are different?

I realize that the 15x7 basketweaves of the E30 M3 look the same also, but they are et30 and therefore do not fall within the rules.

What am I missing here?

I am running exclusively E39 wheels without rings. I simply make sure I torque the lug nuts in a star pattern progressively. Perhaps I should buy some.

the plastic ones get brittle and crack up after a year or so. Tire Rack sells Aluminium ones that are more durable.

I just called TireRack "We will provide them with wheels we sell, but will not sell them individually." poop

Poop indeed. I have a set of the e39s now and the rings on order. I'm not to worried about the brittleness though. I'll put my rains on these and hopefully not need them as much. (regrets typing this immediately )

At the price...it's not to difficult to replace them, even on my budget.

At the price...it's not to difficult to replace them, even on my budget.

My thoughts exactly. I picked up 2 sets from Amazon - not the gorillas, but mr lugs or whatever.

I've been running 17" e39 wheels in order to kill off some left over RA-1s from the Subaru. Tried using new plastic rings and they cracked while trying to install them. Haven't used them since and have had no issues.

I haven't been using rings...

Then, on the Bimmerworld dyno, Jason points at the rear wheel during a run. It was quite obviously not centered. I'll run rings just for piece of mind.

• 1 month later...