'99 Boxster engine core

Yippee38

I am selling the old 2.5L engine from my '99 Boxster. I replaced the engine due to main bearing failure due to (I assume) oil starvation during cornering on the track. The engine is an "X" serial number engine, so AFAIK it is a factory refurb engine. The chassis had just under 65k miles when the engine came out, so the engine had something less than that on it. The engine is complete and stock, though the accessories are all shot. I swapped them all to the replacement engine I received and these all show signs of bearings going bad. This would be a good core (again, I assume) for a race rebuild. I am asking $500.

I have not opened the engine, so I do not know the extent of the damage. Brass bits (small bits) were found in the oil filter indicating main bearing damage.

FWIW, I am selling it because I got the replacement engine from OK Foreign and they are being very difficult about me sending the core back to them for credit.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. Well, not really sure what other info I can give. The engine has not been torn down. It's sitting in a crate in my garage. heh. It is a stock motor. There is no evidence of additional damage (afaik it doesn't have d-chunk failure or slipped sleeve or anything like that). As I said, it ran fine until the bearing failed. The IMS is good, so there is little chance that the chain has jumped or anything like that.

Obviously, the engine would need to be rebuilt. I can't check compression or anything like that due to the bearing damage. If there's any other info people would like, I'd be glad to provide it if I have it or can get it.

One thing I can say is that two of the wires in the harness have been cut. I'm guessing that the dismantler that pulled it from the wreck did it accidentally. I say that because the two wires were cut right next to each other. They were splice, but whoever did it used uninsulated blade connectors. (WT....?) Those two wires should be soldered and insulated with some heat shrink tubing, or the harness replaced. I swapped it for the original harness from my car.

It's got everything on it from the throttle body to the cylinder heads, including all sensors and accessories.

Oh yeah, three of the exhaust manifold bolts are broken off. The heads of the bolts broke off when I removed the manifolds. So the bolts are sticking out about 1/4"-1/2". They might be easily removed with lots of PB Blaster and heat, but you never know with those.