DTC 60 Brake dust observation

johnrehder

I just bedded in some DTC60 hawk pads on the Shelby. I was amazed at how much dust they threw off! Is this dust hard on the paint finish of a car? I don't care too much about the rims but the paint around the front of the car I'm more concerned. They do stop the car quickly though.

I use DTC70's and find the dust comes off very easily. I remove the wheels and wash them after each event - it's a good way to detect damage. A bit of soapy water and all the dust comes straight off. Spray them with Purple Power and all the tire rubber comes off too.

You may run into problems if it's been raining and you leave the muck there for a period of time - there are metals in there which will corrode.

Thanks for the feedback, It did wash off easily after the brakes cooled down. Just wanted to be sure it was not too hard on the paint. Guess when the Saturday session is over I'll head to a car wash and clean them up along with the sides of the car.

I've heard people suggest that you should apply a thick coat of wax on the trailing edges and on the front and rear quartersof the wheel arches and to wipe off any dust after each session

I run 60's too and have for about 1-year on wheels that are very tough to clean. They make a ton of dust, but they don't seem to be corrosive like previous compounds from Hawk.

This stuff is magical:

41XVtvV9dsL.jpg

I re-apply every 4th wash or so and the stuff works really, really well. Mainly it keeps me from scrubbing the nooks-and crannies where bake dust is a pain in the ass to remove.

I wax the car annually and it helps keep the brake dust off.

• 3 weeks later...

And if like me you are not completely religious in waxing the car twice a year to keep the brake dust off the paint, claybar pulls the brake dust right out and you are back to a smooth finish, ready for wax...