TurboShortBus

Sebring Time Trial entry list for June 25-26, 2011

obzezzed350
So did we figure out what we need for annual?

Why not get a race car annual tech and not worry about it?

TurboShortBus
So did we figure out what we need for annual?

I emailed Greg a few days ago and heard nothing back so far. Just print out the race annual form and skip anything that isn't required for HPDE. Take it to the annual tech guy on Friday (Wehmeyer).

Mark

Balroks

I already have the race annual, (since my car is qualified for race anyway). So all I should technically have to do is walk up to registration get the band, then with the log book get my TT sticker from Pat?

TurboShortBus
I already have the race annual, (since my car is qualified for race anyway). So all I should technically have to do is walk up to registration with the log book and get my TT sticker from Pat?

I don't think there is a separate TT sticker, as I saw one at RA last weekend that had a race annual sticker with TT written on the sticker with a Sharpie.

Mark

Balroks

Well that, but the white one with the dates on the top of the windshield? Basically I want to avoid any delay or confusion between officials in Tech or the guy who checks for sitckers/bands.

TurboShortBus
Well that, but the white one with the dates on the top of the windshield? Basically I want to avoid any delay or confusion between officials in Tech or the guy who checks for sitckers/bands.

Contact Pat Wehmeyer for the most accurate answer.

Mark

TurboShortBus

TTR and TTE have been updated.

Mark

Balroks

PM or email me his number if you got it, last time he said he didn't know and to ask you

TurboShortBus
PM or email me his number if you got it, last time he said he didn't know and to ask you

From what I have read, annual tech is the responsibility of the tech staff, whether it is race or HPDE.

Email sent.

Mark

dew-e

Who can spot what is wrong with this picture?

twowheeling.JPG

TrackRat

Someone tilted the track!

obzezzed350

Post the video or it didnt happen!

TurboShortBus

Hopefully, Joshua can post the in-car video, as I was only a carlength or two behind you when it all went wrong. Unfortunately, your Joie Chitwood moment didn't show up in the video, but watching my helmet do a double-take to the left was pretty funny.

Mark

dew-e

I'm in the office right now, so just did the quick screen shot of the car up on two wheels. The car felt really twitchy that session. On Saturday we rotated the tires and I'm guessing that one of the tires that ended up on the rear of the car is well past its prime. In the full video from the start of that session I had two instances before the spin where the car had oversteer at initial turn in. Since it happened early in the session I chalked it up to cold tires and expected the handling to improve by the time I was well into my hot lap. It was oversteering to the left and the right, but was easily correctable the first two times it happened.

In the case where I spun, if I slow the video way down I can see that I had started to give very slight steering input, and it just snaps out on me. The lap had felt great through the first 14 turns, so I was pushing a bit, and trying to make sure I maintained a good speed through the corner, I guess the combination of the speed and the worn tire on the rear was just to much. Did everything I could to keep it from spinning to the inside and hitting that wall and barrier, went into a brief tank slapper, thought I almost saved it, but once I hit the outside rumbles the car pretty much took me for a ride. Definitely glad I was able to get out of the way of Mark and the vette that was right behind him. Sorry for messing either of you up if you were on a quick lap. Was trying to stay well enough ahead of you until the back straight so you guys could just easily get around me without being slowed down.

We disconnected the rear swaybar and it did feel better the next session out, and were going to also try putting the tires back where they were on Saturday to see if the oversteer went away completely, but never got a chance to get back out and try to turn another hot lap after that session due to the black flag and then the torrential downpour in the afternoon.

Plan on replacing controls arms and tie-rods, and re-aligning the car as it took a pretty big hit when I came over the rumbles and again when it came down onto all fours. These cars are known to break balljoints leading to complete steering failure and chewed up body panels. I'll try to get the video up today to show everybody my lack of talent..

TurboShortBus
Definitely glad I was able to get out of the way of Mark and the vette that was right behind him. Sorry for messing either of you up if you were on a quick lap.

Bah, no problem here! I wasn't on a quick lap all weekend...I was just out there to burn some gas and have fun in a borrowed car. It has been a while since I drove anything at speed, and it likely showed.

By the time I realized that you weren't going to be able to steer out of it, I was already in the corner, so if I stabbed the brakes I would have been spinning myself. I tried to figure out which way your car was eventually going, and I tried to avoid "target fixation" in the process (where you're watching an obstacle so intently that you drive right into it instead of avoiding it). I saw your car start to head left, so I kept mine hooked right and got the hell out of there.

Let me know if you need any help with wrenching, as my mind is fresh from an E30 suspension overhaul.

Mark

King Tut
Let me know if you need any help with wrenching, as my mind is fresh from an E30 suspension overhaul.

Hmmm. You joining us sooner than later?

TurboShortBus

Hmmm. You joining us sooner than later?

Well, that overhaul was on Scott's E30 (which apparently runs pretty damn well now), but I'm still kicking around my options.

Mark

Mrsideways

Thunder Race start and my WHOOPS last lap.

TurboShortBus

I think I hear your garage door opener and a few tools rattling around in the corners...

Mark

Mrsideways

I think I hear your garage door opener and a few tools rattling around in the corners...

Mark

I need to turn that car upside down and shake it.... there is something rattling somewhere I can't find.

obzezzed350

You cut the last lap short! I wanted to see my ricer flyby out of T16!

TurboShortBus

I'm surprised that Joseph could see out the windshield with the chubby he was sporting when he found Ian putzing around in front of him on the last lap. lol

Mark

obzezzed350
I'm surprised that Joseph could see out the windshield with the chubby he was sporting when he found Ian putzing around in front of him on the last lap. lol

Mark

lol, I thought he was out of fuel or something. I need to stop letting Bruce get by me on the starts and HOLDING me back!

Balroks

Managed to rig my iPhone with zip ties to the roll bar. Time/Speed are off because it's got no GPS signal, and it slid down a bit so the tie strap is taking over the right side of the screen. BUT it's my frist time having video in there so I can see a lot to improve upon. I don't think I got 1 straight clean lap on Sunday in either session so I think this one is my 2.27 lap. Harry's app is pretty cool, lots of options for $15.

This round I was testing a new Diff controller and A6's which I must say are an AWESOME combo. From our last event in Oct I dropped 4.7 seconds. This was also with 3 year old craptastic ST43 pads (no good for a 3k lbs car) and a rather annoying boost leak in the throttle body shaft, causing me to sit between 10 and 11.1 AFR....I could smell the fuel really well in turn 7

TurboShortBus
This round I was testing a new Diff controller and A6's which I must say are an AWESOME combo.

Ah, I was wondering why you were quick to sell that set of slightly-used Goodyears to Bruce...lol

Mark