Passenger seat required for TT?

miatagrin

Is a passenger seat required for TT sessions? The no-points modifications rules indicate a 'non-oem front passenger seat', but is the removal of the seat/brackets/harness allowed? I'm looking to gain some weight reduction in a TTE Miata.

B. WEIGHT REDUCTION:

Weight reduction points are based on the actual vehicle minimum competition weight (with

driver). Removal and lightening of non-essential parts is permitted unless stated otherwise in

these rules.

And there isn't anything that I can find that defines the passenger seat and related items as "essential". The free mod is there to let you swap in a different seat if you wish, it doesn't require you to retain some sort of passenger seat.

Removing the passenger seat one of the more common weight reduction mods you see done on competitive cars

I've seen people removing passenger seats at the track just for TT and have never heard of anyone saying a passenger seat being required

...after all, there are several race cars (without a passenger seat to begin with) that do double duty of w2w and Time Trial...

I thought that the passenger seat removal was allowed, but thanks for confirming. 40 lbs of 'added lightness'. Cool.

I thought that the passenger seat removal was allowed, but thanks for confirming. 40 lbs of 'added lightness'. Cool.

Just watch your min competition weight, HP/wt ratio and you should be OK. You can take points for being under min comp weight in the rules.

Yeah, but it's from the wrong side of the car. Right side weight is usually lower than left side due to the driver.

I yanked my 40lb seat and put 75lbs of ballast there.

If only I needed ballast. I run a Miata, so I'm having difficulty making minimum weight.

You don't understand. Strip all non-essential parts from the car (headlights, interior etc.) and put the weight back as ballast where you want it.

Thanks for the clarification, but I totally get it. I don't think I'll get down to minimum weight, even after I'ver removed all of the non-essential stuff.

'91 Miatas can get pretty close to 2000 pounds by removing all of the "low hanging fruit" (e.g. seats, A/C, soft top, interior). Your minimum race weight is 2182, so depending on how heavy (or light) you are, it is doable. Add a cage, and it becomes difficult, but possible. A roll bar is the least you should use for rollover protection. For NASA TT, you can take out the headlights. I would, since that's weight in a bad place - front corners.

In contrast, 1.6 liter Spec Miatas have a minimum race weight of 2275 pounds.

If you're overweight, you can always ask for a Weight/Power re-class from Greg.

B. WEIGHT REDUCTION:

Weight reduction points are based on the actual vehicle minimum competition weight (with

driver). Removal and lightening of non-essential parts is permitted unless stated otherwise in

these rules.

And there isn't anything that I can find that defines the passenger seat and related items as "essential". The free mod is there to let you swap in a different seat if you wish, it doesn't require you to retain some sort of passenger seat.

Removing the passenger seat one of the more common weight reduction mods you see done on competitive cars

I need to keep mine in to make weight !!