OE replacement/upgrade +points?

Pat L.

Rule/Point Question:

I'd like to replace two charge pipes entering the throttle body with different Audi OE pieces. My motivation is for reliability purposes because the replacement parts use pieces which bolt together as opposed to the current pipes which clamp together using a silicone hose. The replacement parts don't add any volume and are made out of aluminum as opposed to plastic. Intake manifold and throttle body would not change. I currently use the factory airbox/plumbing/MAF.

Would I receive any points for this upgrade?

Thanks

Pat,

As long as there is no performance benefit whatsoever, I'm sure it would be fine......... ZERO POINTS.

To me, it would be like replacing Grade 3 bolts with Grade 8 bolts.

Nevertheless, I'd wait for the final word from Greg.

Regards,

John

I don't think it would... the only question would be is the air that is going into the throttle body cooler now with aluminum tube then it was with a plastic one.... which I don't think it would be.

Ted & John,

Thanks for the replies. There isn't any performance benefit to be had. On the contrary, I believe the aluminum pipes would transfer more heat than my current plastic ones. Hoses and hose clamps on charged air pipes make me nervous and I'd like to ditch them for the piece of mind.

I'll wait for a final word from Greg.

Thanks

• National Staff

Pat,

As long as you don't increase the size of the pipes or the throttle body, and the stock ones are also hard pipes, I don't see any performance benefit. So, there would be no points assessed. If there was an increase in size, or you went from rubber hose to hard pipes, then there would be at least the one point assessment for altering the air intake system.

Greg

Greg,

The y-pipe that connects the charge pipes to the throttle body would change from a silicone hose to a metal y-pipe; the configuration does not change. I would be happy to bring the pieces with me to Buttonwillow for review.

• National Staff

Pat,

Just put them on if you want to, and bring the OEM parts with you. You have 3 points to spare before you jump classes anyway. I'll take a look at the old stuff and the new setup, and determine if you need to use any of the 3 points or not.

See you this weekend.

Greg

Thanks Greg, see you Sat.

By the way, not that it really matters, I'll only be running the first two sessions Saturday and then leaving due to a scheduling conflict.