How old can you run RA-1s

Lucid Moments

I just picked up a car to take racing and it has some older RA-1s on it. The car was last driven in July 2008 so they are at least that old and knowing the previous owner I suspect he didn't pick them up new. They were left on the car while it was sitting, but it was sitting in a climate controlled garage. They show no overt signs of dry rotting, and have plenty of rubber left. I realize that the grip from the tires will be nowhere near what a new set of tires will have, but that doesn't matter at first anyway. I just want to get a weekend or two on the car to get it sorted out.

The car is a 1994 Civic that will eventually be run in HC, but I'm going to finish this season out in HPDE while I sort out both the car and the driver.

I came into some RA-1 with a 2003 date code this year. They weren't cracked or looking in poor shape, so I tried running them. They were very competitive - I won races on them in a 10 car field, and got many HC's out of them, still. Amazing...

Thats good to know. 'Cause I don't have any other tires for this car and I'm taking it to RA this weekend (I hope).

• 2 weeks later...