Acura integra-----new to this

97redjetgsr

Hey i need some help about the rules with TT.

my stock tank is pretty bad and would coast to much to put it back in so i was wanting to know what the there is to running a fuel cell in this class and dose it need to be FIA or SIF approved?

I would mount the fuel cell in the trunk with fuel cell straps for sure.

Is this already a race car or still a street car? While the fuel cell is safer, a junkyard fuel tank is clearly more cost effective. No need to replace every so many years, plumbing is already there and likely comes with fuel pump already installed.

I agree to get another stock tank. To answer your question about a fuel cell

11.4 Automobile Technical Regulations

Every automobile entered in any NASA sanctioned HPDE event should meet or exceed these requirements. NASA makes a strong effort to offer every member an affordable way to participate in HPDE events. NASA is aware of the costs involved in maintaining a vehicle up to standards, and strives to keep the most reasonable standards in order to keep costs to a minimum. However, there are some things that can make the event more dangerous for everyone involved. These are the things that NASA cannot afford to be flexible about. The NASA inspectors will be glad to work with any member in order to help bring their car into compliance with the safety standards. Things that are not major safety related items might warrant a one-time waiver when prudent to do so. Any changes made to material items that may affect safety may fall under scrutiny, and may result in disallowance of entry. For example a simple “gutting” of a door without the proper additional protection as specified in the competition section may warrant disallowance of entry. Car owners are encouraged to contact the NASA office before making any modifications from the stock configuration.

From the competition section

15.4 Fuel Cell / Tank

As of January 1, 2009 no new logbooks will be issued for vehicles with a fuel cell, unless the fuel cell is FIA FT3 (or higher) certified. As of January 1, 2012 all fuel cells must be FIA FT3 (or higher) certified, regardless of the date of purchase or date of the logbook issuance.

A fuel cell is not required, except as specified by class rules. It is recommended for all NASA classes, unless specifically listed otherwise. All vehicles having a fuel cell MUST comply with the rules in this section, even if a fuel cell is not required.

 There must be a solid metal bulkhead completely separating the fuel tank, fuel pump, fuel cell, filler neck hoses, and/or vent lines, from the driver compartment.

 The cell must contain a bladder that is FIA FT-3 (or higher) rated.

 The cell should be in a container made of at least 0.036-inch steel, 0.059-inch aluminum, or 0.125-inch Marlex, fully surrounding the bladder.

 Foam internal baffling is required, as per FIA FT3-1999 (or higher).

 The filler cap, line, vents hoses, etc. should be designed so that no fuel will escape if the car is partially or totally inverted.

 There should be a small drain hole in the outside box to purge fuel trapped between the bladder and the box.

 Filler necks should not be mounted through a window panel (exceptions may be made at the discretion of the Chief Scrutineer).

 The competitor is responsible for ensuring that the cell, bladder, and components are installed, maintained, and replaced per the manufacturer‟s instructions and in accordance with applicable sections of the CCR.

 The bladder has a date of manufacture and serial number. The competitor is responsible to note this in the front of the logbook.

 Bladders older than 5 years should not be used.

 As a January 1, 2009 the competitor will be responsible for showing proof of the age of the bladder. It is highly recommended that the receipt for the purchase of the bladder (or entire cell) be stored with the Vehicle Logbook.

15.4.1 Installation

Fuel cells shall be located within twelve (12) inches of the original tank. This measurement is taken from the perimeter edge of the original tank to the perimeter edge of the fuel cell. Additional reinforcements may be added to aid in the installation of the cell, but they shall not attach to the roll cage. Floor structure may be modified to aid in the installation of the cell. Steel location strapping is strongly recommended to keep the fuel cell from dislocating in a crash. Installing a fuel cell that hangs significantly close to the ground or one that is mounted closest to the rear of the vehicle, even if the installation meets with these rules, may be deemed unsafe and therefore excluded from competition. [Notes: There are some car builders that believe that installing a fuel cell in the aforementioned manner is advantageous to the handling of the vehicle. While this publication is not intended to cause debate, NASA encourages each car owner to choose an installer very wisely. A burning fuel cell is not easily extinguished in a short period of time, and therefore any claimed advantages in handling as justification for an installation configuration or location, should be questioned.]

15.4.2 Rotary-molded cells

Rotary-molded cells are not allowed unless the bladder meets the current FIA FT3 specifications and carries the current FIA FT3 standard certification mark, label, or stamp. Most or all JAZ and RCI brand cells are examples of rotary-molded cells that do not carry such ratings. [Notes: A good fuel cell is made by companies such as ATL or Fuel Safe (other than their entry level models), and should cost $550 or more. Beware of inexpensive “SCCA APPROVED” cells. While SCCA is a fine organization, the stamp of approval found on some safety items may pertain to other forms of racing, and may not be consistent with these rules. Consult an expert before purchase.

If the fuel cell meets the CCR and replaces the stock tank and the fuel pump is equivalent to the stock fuel pump - I think you are OK. Free mods H 15 is closest to what you want to do.

However I'm a nobody - send an email to Greg G with what car you are planning to do this in and ask him. He is the national director.

Thanks guys for the input on this and i will email the head person about this and make sure i am set.

far as getting another stock tank that isnt going to help make it cheaper.its the parts from Honda that are $$ and the time i am done getting the tank powder coated,another fuel pump hanger,parts from Honda i'm like 600$ in the hole just with a gas tank.(i don't use auto zone parts or Napa for this car)

I might as well go ATL fuel cell and do it right the 1st time so there for i am set down the road if i want to go in to a bigger class.

This car is race but still a street car.

I just pulled my receipt. It was $135 for a used tank (and it came with a fuel pump and I kept my old one as a spare).

Do you have a state safety inspection?

If so you may want to check and make sure the fuel cell meets their spec as well.

I know that even though the 5/6 pt harnesses are safer, since they are not DOT they are not legal for a street car.

FYI- Don't forget a fuel cell needs to be re-certified periodically (3 or 5 years?). So it is not a one time purchase. You can either buy a new bladder or send the existing one back to ATL/Fuel Safe to be re-certified.

• National Staff

The fuel pump will likely not be an OEM fuel pump, and will end up costing you +2 points under the engine rules section.

I had m stock tank recondition from a local shop cost about 100 bucks but looks brand new. They only thing I had to redo was the fuel line fittings but total cost was about 160 bucks.