TWS Heat Wave...understatement of the year!

Al F.

• Members

Saying it was hot just doesnt do conditions at TWS this past weekend justice. There were reports of it being 113 in the shade Saturday. All I know is I couldnt get within three car lengths of someone without having my temp slide to the bottom of the red and that I drank a full case of 36 water bottles in 2 1/2 days!

NASA Texas puts on a heck of a race weekend and to combat the heat they brought out free ice cream Saturday night as well as a 25 foot diameter pool! Of course there was plenty of beer and food, but most folks kept intake of those to a tolerable amount to keep from having dehydration issues.

On track our 944 Spec cars were posting times in the mid pack of a field of 23 Spec Miatas, so it was a constant battle of getting around the little buzz bombs advantageously so as to not loose time. Against all odds and pre-race predictions I managed to stay in front for first three races thanks to some good luck with the Miatas and a couple of well time moves. For our last race we also had to deal with the Allison Legacy cars that were added to our group and running essentially the same lap times. We had a fabulous battle, exchanging the lead at least five times between Todd, Ryan, and myself. On the last lap Ryan didnt realize I was on his inside untill too late and I had to bail over the big curbing to avoid contact. The off allowed Todd and an Allison car through without enough time to do much about it. Ryan drove a tremendous race and held on to the lead to score his first 944 Spec win!!!! Congrats Ryan!

There is only one more weekend this season for NASA Texas, October 22/23 at Eagles Canyon. For the innaugural 944 Spec season here its been an amazing ride: 12 points scoring drivers and an average of six entries per race weekend. That is just awesome, and its not over yet! Going into the last event Kevin Webb is barely holding onto his championship lead and Todd Covini is well within range of me for 2nd. In other words, the top three spots in the championship are undecided and any slip will have championship impacts! You wont want to miss this last event of the season for Texas.

113 in the shade.... Heck even we Az guys don't bother racing in temps like that. Most we do here is maybe 105F with low humdity. As for needing to pull out to get clean air. Yeah that happens in temps like that. I have been there too.