2011 Hotlanta Challenge Photography-Take 2

trhoads

we have been having a debate on our RX-8 forum about which cars hop better, or catch more air, stiffly spring, or softly sprung. I am still un-decided...I do know that no one else on the weekend had the air Jason did.

Yeah, but why would you want your tires to be off the ground?

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• trhoads

• drivinhardz06

• kbrew8991

• Jim P.

• Members
we have been having a debate on our RX-8 forum about which cars hop better, or catch more air, stiffly spring, or softly sprung. I am still un-decided...I do know that no one else on the weekend had the air Jason did.

DUH! less friction!

(just kidding)

well, my theory is that you don't...2 tires provide less grip than 4, especially if one of those tires off the ground starts to spin faster than the other drive wheel ON the ground.

it does look cool in pictures though!

might be more of a shock package thing - combination of bound & rebound settings? If the shock resists being compressed somewhat it should launch that side of the car higher, and also if its set to resist drooping back down quickly...?

Spring + sway bar combo?

i gotta assume stiffer sways would toss the car up if the springs couldn't absorb it.

drivinhardz06

well, my theory is that you don't...2 tires provide less grip than 4, especially if one of those tires off the ground starts to spin faster than the other drive wheel ON the ground.

it does look cool in pictures though!

it's not a grip issues, it's a "what's the shortest distance between 2 points" issue. you can straightline the corner much more, so that is the increase in speed.

• Members
it's not a grip issues, it's a "what's the shortest distance between 2 points" issue. you can straightline the corner much more, so that is the increase in speed.

There are many tracks that a more compliant suspension will be faster than a stiff one. One trip to Sebring proves that!

There are many tracks that a more compliant suspension will be faster than a stiff one. One trip to Sebring proves that!

Hopefully Mid Ohio too.

I think it makes the car a little more controllable too...my last time on track at RA, I was on street tires, and left the car at full soft at all four, and had a freakin blast, it was easier to drive hard...I miss getting out there and driving already...

• Members

Hopefully Mid Ohio too.

You want your setup for Mid-Ohio to be fairly similar to the setup you use for Road Atlanta. There are lots of off camber turns and places where you will be on the gators to be faster...

You want your setup for Mid-Ohio to be fairly similar to the setup you use for Road Atlanta. There are lots of off camber turns and places where you will be on the gators to be faster...

Thanks Jim. I figured it would be more like a CMP setup?

I'll probably do a combination of both to start out with and tweak it from there.

Edward, you have an email, your proofs are up. Sorry I only had two.
Getting a pic with some air time made up for the lack of others! kinda looks like i'm actually on my way down.Wondering how much air i actually got.

Thank you sir next time i'll try to grab ya pre event.

I forgot I wanted to add that the turn 3 shot is my favorite. Looks like it was shot in Saturday practice so I wasn't as aggressive with turn 3 as I was later in the weekend:

road_atlanta_1.jpg

yep, that was first Lightning practice Saturday morning. That shot is only good early, once the sun gets too high...the shot goes to crap. That is half of what shooting pics at RA is...chasing the sun...there are about 2 hours mid day...where shooting is a waste of time, nothing works.

Glad you disc arrived, hope you are a happy customer!

And that is one of my new favorite angles...wish I came up with it...but I didn't. As the saying goes, its all been done before.

ok, I have not forgotten about those I have not contacted yet...had a slight setback last night, back to it today.

Joe, your proofs are up, you have an email.

joe-72-ttb_7.jpg

I love this shot going up the hill after Turn 5, there is a great background for speed there!