HPDE CRX Build

audiobuffru12

Well saturday we did some driving at Raod Atalanta event , I kinda Notice about 10 or so lap i was getting a vibration in the front end was not sure though tire preasure built up or maybe lil over heated of brakes , after letting thing cool down ,After day one of event we drove home after doing a quick once over the car , thinking what to do if is still there .

Well later last night jacked the car up one side at a time went through ussual inspection pulled parts apart examined them replaced with new if needed, simple enough .drivers side done on to passenger side, apart going through well nothing bad replaced old items with new hm still a vibration .Dug deeper in front end . Now starting to get real picky check every nut apoun nut and bolts.

Oh no found one .

raodatlantahsraceevent026.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• audiobuffru12

• OHIO4DRTEG

• mwfaith1971

• Calif_Kid

Yea I have been fighting a vibration issues in my frontend also on my da I Plan on replacing everything again glad you had a good time at road Atlanta . Are you doing any brake upgrades.

Being these are 91 Si Civic Dics brakes in front ,all I've upgraded so has been pads and fluid . Future Stainless steel lines ,Still run drums in rear for which have been rebuilt internally they work great .

I did the Acura legend and mini Cooper rotor upgrade and they work great but I have rear disk so my bias is a little different plus my car is turbo d so I needed a little more brakes for coming of the straights into the corners.

audiobuffru12 - nice job on the car. One thing - that new rear sway bar might shift to one side enough to start the end links to start binding. There are a few posts in the 'Road Racing/Autocross & Time Attack' forum in Honda-Tech with the most recent being http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2973359 and the older post (mine) being http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2673153. Some bars come with built in collars to prevent the shift, or you can add on a split collar which is what I did. You might also want to install greasable D-bracket bushings - Amazon has Energy suspension greasable bushings for pretty cheap. Anyway, read thru the posts for details. - Jim (Calif_Kid)

Hey Jim, Thanks for the tips , had swapped out for greasable in front and rear sway bar , I'm Freak when it comes to parts that have to have movement they move with ease, I bought enough grease from Suspension Energy to last several years (hehehe) Yeah putting together a list for my fastenal rep on the collars , You guys have great threads at Honda Tech forum, and over at HPD Great support to . Thanks for comment on my crx it has been a great learning experieance for me and my son building a road race/cone cornering type car . Building on buget is our trick but adding advice from others with the experience that we don't have ,has been a bleesing to us, we track daze this car when ever we make changes to get the feel for . Keep advise coming ,we will keep building ..................next step is fine tuning and Cage . Cages have been my problem Kirk ,Auto power, or custom built .

Cages are an animals among them selves, everyone has their own justified opinion on what is the best cage. I prefer custom built because a good builder will build it to fit your car exactly. You will spend a little more on custom cage but how much is your safety worth. I had mine done here in Columbus, Ohio by Moore Speed Performance (614-563-3837 or [email protected]). I know about 50 or so welders, myself included and he is one of 3 people I trust my life with on welding, the other two are me and my Dad. Now this all said if you go with a prefab Auto power or Kirk seam to make a good products from what I have seen.

Yeah been looking at Kirk cages 900 shipped ,and built the way i want it, Autopower was lil cheaper ,and custom I still need to get quotes on.

I got my cage done for around 2 grand. That includes Nascar door bars on both driver and passager side and going thru fire wall to tie into front sub frame for cage support and halo bars. (FYI, all he has done so far is the back half I am dropping the car off next week to finish it, we did it this way so I could still run it at two events this year)

Well got some more work done, Rpaired front barkes added some cooling to them

crxbrakecooling005.jpg

Built the vent were the turn signal use to be with abs plastic and some bondo and some 2.5 dia blower tubing

crxbrakecooling001.jpg

Used wire ties to mock it up once i tested turing stop to stop and with tires on I bought some clamps and fastened it all up . Added some collars to sway bars oh man what differance Thanks for advice Jim .

• 1 month later...

Well folks been awhile but more work continues on the track rat , safety stand point we order a few goodies, G-F orce Harness ,padding and these

CRX2087.jpg

Added this lil bugger, and it works well sofar.

CRX2072.jpg

Aday after race weekend at Road Atalanta old shoes back on . CRX2088.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well another full weekend of prepping car .Sheading some weight and rerouting wires

crxwire003.jpg

crxwire004.jpg

Added non slip material to pedals and floor

crxwire007.jpg

Electrical switches ,start button and accesory switches added and battery cut off

crxwire006.jpg

crxwire005.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Saw this build before RA, and then recognized the car during HPDE1. What kind of tires are you running? I would recommend an upgrade to atleast Dunlop Star specs, all the upgrades in the world won't help with some solid rubber underneath you.

Nice pics, where did you find them? I was in the black intergra with black wheels.

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys since Santa Toy Run, I have been workin hard to get CRX back up and running, we pulled the car on the last events on sunday due we had some oil spotting for the safety of others and myself ,I and Instructor scratched the last two outings. Thank goodness we did. Found broken motor mounts, shifter linkage unit was tore up and two leaky seals and two hoses were leaking causing overheating issues, We made it home . Since the event , I've been getting in new product to fix it, Prothane motor mount inserts,along with new motor mounts,Ordered new seals for shift link and axles, Ordered all new coolant hoses,due to motor mount broke two of my coolant hoses. Will post up pics of progress. Looking forward to March event .

• 3 weeks later...

Well folks little more work been performed, such great weather this winter able to achieve some more upgrades ,and add some color and performance fixes along with other items ineed of repairing .

replaced hoses,motor mount upgrades to prothane insert.

crxupdates003.jpg

rebuilt shifter linkage, new bushings and seals and new JCT shifter exstender

crxupdates002.jpg

4 point roll bar and harness

crxupdates001.jpg

crxupdates004.jpg

crxupdates005.jpg

Edited by Guest

I had a shifter break while on track - the shifter was a short shifter that we had added a short (say 2") extension to, with the break being on the base of the threads. Your shifter/extender might work out just fine, but I suggest maybe bringing along a spare shifter just in case yours breaks. - Jim

• 1 month later...

Well folks more work being done, Great weather here again, .......well added new water pump,timing belt,oil pump, and axles seals , along with shift shaft seal . Also order and installed new front brake calipers . Pics soon. more roll bar material came in to finish connecting a to b after March event. Did some removing of items such as interior panels, glove box, headliner and Front splitter.More painting is on schedule for interior .

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well folks every little bit of time i can get I have been putting work into CRX ,I have ordered new clutch and flywheel and now waiting to get a lift time at the shop were my son works at ,to it installed before june ra event, I added front vailence and small duck bill to rear deck, lil more graphics when time allows me to doodle .

ra051.jpg

ra053.jpg

ra055.jpg

ra054.jpg

crxupdates005.jpg

11.4.8 Seatbelts and Harnesses

The seatbelts should be in good condition. No damage may be present on the seatbelts

and they must be the factory configuration. Any harness or any restraint system, other

than factory stock, shall conform to CCR section #15.5, in all respects except for the

expiration regulations.

15.5 Driver restraint system

Any harness or any restraint system, other

than factory stock, shall conform to CCR section #15.5...

...all vehicles must have a five (5), six (6), or seven (7) point seat belt system...

• 1 month later...

New suspension components arrived today thanks to EMUSA

newsuspension001.jpg

newsuspension002.jpg

newsuspension003.jpg

newsuspension004.jpg

Installed rear components today

newsuspension005.jpg

[imghttp://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35/audiobuffru1/newsuspension006.jpg][/img]

Also worked on front air dam making lil more wind resistant

Brake duct cover and air intake with speed mesh

newsuspension008.jpg

newsuspension007.jpg

Front will be next waiting out the rain .

• 2 months later...