Rebuilding stock rear calipers... leave dust boots off?

Cobra4B

Rebuilding my brake stock C5 calipers. After tearing them all down I stumbled on a deal on some Wilwood SL6Rs for the front. That got me thinking about leaving the dust boots off for the rear (since the Wilwoods don't have any). They'll eventually melt so leaving them off would prevent a messy tattered boot from being in place.

Any reasons against leaving them off? Yes I know you could get increased wear on the piston seal, but again race calipers don't have boots to begin with.

I guess my question really is if the race calipers with no boots are designed in such a way that lest crud gets in there? Conversely could the OEM calipers be setup so that they let tons of stuff in when the seal is gone? I noticed my rear calipers had more crap in them vs. the front. The rears had mostly melted boots and the fronts were all in place since I use titanium pad shims.

Thanks,

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Brian,

The wilwood calipers have tighter clearances due to their non-dust boot design. There IS a difference...however. On a race car, you constantly rebuild the calipers, it typically doesnt see a ton of dust/rain/grit that 1000s of miles of daily driving does. I would say you could go without them, but it will increase the likelihood of sticking calipers.

That said, I ran wilwoods without dust boots on a daily driven car for 2 years and never had a problem

• 2 weeks later...