Tire Rule Change for 2012?

dstevenslv

Hoping NASA and SCCA and get back on the same tire by 2013. Otherwise it forces a choice - not good for either group.

I am hoping for this as well. I don't really care whether that is the RA1 or the Hoosier SM6, I currently buy a new set of stickers for pretty much every race weekend anyway. I just dont want to have to double my tires and wheels.

I have a question...and YES it does have to do with this post. More thoughts to come when i have this info.

How many total races do ALL of the NASA regions run?

How many SM in the Nationals?

Kevin Pyles

SM #34

Texas Region

I guess i worded it wrong, it sounded right in my head though

How many race weekends are there roughly? I know Texas normally has 5 but has added 2 more for the year.

Think it would be safe to say on AVERAGE there are 20 SM per race weekend if you averaged all the regions? too high? too low?

Toyo is manufactured in Japan correct?

I know i am not making any sense at the moment. But i need some facts to go by to pleed a case....I don't want to jump in spittin shtuff out of my mouth.

stay with me here....

Nope. NASA will remain with the RA1 as the SM Spec tire for the 2012 season.

John,

I hope this decision can be revisited soon as I feel we will see fields shrink as a result. Many drivers in the TX region do both NASA and SCCA events and the need to have two different tire sets will surely cause some to decide not to make a NASA event if their car is sitting on Hoosiers. Just my opinion but I hope this is not set in stone if we do indeed see smaller fields.

Toyo is manufactured in Japan. Hoosier is made in the USA....

With the economy in the condition it is in, Lets just keep sending our money to Japan for all the Toyo tires we purchase. Instead of doing our part for the American people and buy Hoosiers and keeo our hard earned $ in the Good Ole USA. It is going to really cut into my racing budget when I have to go on welfair becuase there are no more jobs or manufacturing in the US.

Lets think of this also....there are going to be a hand full of people that may barely be able to afford to buy an axtra couple of sets of wheels to go along with the tires the other guys make them run. In a year or so they are both going to go back to using the same tire, now some have spent extra money that didn't need to be spent on an extra set of wheels.

Hoping NASA and SCCA and get back on the same tire by 2013. Otherwise it forces a choice - not good for either group.

I believe the SCCA SM6 contract is for 3 years.

I believe he is referring to the Toyo contract expiring at the end of 2012.

I believe he is referring to the Toyo contract expiring at the end of 2012.

Oh okay.....it would be nice if they were...

Where is a Miata made? If your true to your convictions are you going to be racing in American Iron next year?

Toyo is manufactured in Japan. Hoosier is made in the USA....

With the economy in the condition it is in, Lets just keep sending our money to Japan for all the Toyo tires we purchase. Instead of doing our part for the American people and buy Hoosiers and keeo our hard earned $ in the Good Ole USA. It is going to really cut into my racing budget when I have to go on welfair becuase there are no more jobs or manufacturing in the US.

Lets think of this also....there are going to be a hand full of people that may barely be able to afford to buy an axtra couple of sets of wheels to go along with the tires the other guys make them run. In a year or so they are both going to go back to using the same tire, now some have spent extra money that didn't need to be spent on an extra set of wheels.

• 4 weeks later...
Where is a Miata made? If your true to your convictions are you going to be racing in American Iron next year?

Valid point. But no. If I were to purchase something new to race, then I would probably buy an American car of some sort and race it. When I purchased both of my Miata's, they were obviously used. I do drive a Ford truck, my wife drives a Ford truck and all of my work trucks in the office are Ford. Although I think Toyota trucks are more American than Ford.

Don't get me wrong here. I am not one of those BUY U.S. OR DIE kinda people. That being said, I do think that if there were a choice put infront of you then you should go U.S. unless it is a lower quality product or cost well exceeds the other. I understand that the choice of U.S. made tires for NASA isn't going to change the economy by itself, but 100 choices like this could make a small dent. I do understand now that NASA is in a contract with TOYO for the remainder of next year. (correct me if I am wrong) I just hope they decide to go to the U.S. built tire for 2013 and stick with it.

Race Fast

Race Safe

• 1 month later...

I haven't had a chance to read all 9 pages of this thread, but when I went to the end it was discussing ABS.

Sooooo....sounds like a good lock down candidate.

I'll post an update separately on Tires now...Toyo it is.

Todd Covini

National Director - American Iron Series

There you go boys and girls !!