HPDE progression

elfer

Just participated in HPDE1 at Summit Point. Everything was well run and the instructor was great. I forgot to ask about HPDE progression. What is the typical time between 1,2,3, and 4? I had mostly 1s and 2s with a 3 in instrument range. Work on was: smoothness, watch tach and proper gear.

I'm not sure there is such a thing as a typical time for each level. I know that's not really the most helpful answer in the world, but it is true. In my case, my instructor at my first DE said he would've felt comfortable moving me to DE2 by the end of the weekend. I'm still in DE1, though, because I value the additional input that the instructors provide and I really don't want to lose that until I have more seat time. I've heard several people on here say that the more time you spend in one, the less time you spend in 2-3 simply because you know what it is that you need to improve on. Just remember - it's not a race to see who can get out of DE first; it's a progression of making you a better driver. Concentrate on that and the progression through the ranks will take care of itself.

Different people learn at different rates - if your previous instructor didn't move you to DE2 its because there are some things to polish in DE1 first - moving out of DE1 in the first event is rare anyway. You're only cheating yourself if you move up before you're ready

Different people learn at different rates - if your previous instructor didn't move you to DE2 its because there are some things to polish in DE1 first - moving out of DE1 in the first event is rare anyway. You're only cheating yourself if you move up before you're ready

And you are cheating yourself in not having a lot of instructors! When I was moving throgh the HPDE ranks we had instructors in 1 & 2 so I got a lot of input. I've been doing this a long time, should have started instructing sooner, have been doing it for three years. I tell all my students - get as much instruction as you can. you will lear something different from each of them. Take time to participate in the after BS sessions, ask questions and learn. Shoot I still learn something everytime I go to the track. Sometimes its from one of my students trying something new, sometimes its by following the faster guy in time trials, and sometimes its from the BS sessions after the day is done!

Go to as many different tracks as you can and learn each one of them - it will make you a better driver and when you go to a totally new track as a solo driver you can pick it up quicker. Set goals at each track, have your instructor teach you the safe offline locations, pretend there is a car on your right or left all the way through turns. There is LOTS to learn!

In the Mid-Atlantic get Jack or Mike or Ralph to instruct you or ride with one of them. The "On(Over) the hill" gang is easy to find.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not sure there is such a thing as a typical time for each level. I know that's not really the most helpful answer in the world, but it is true. In my case, my instructor at my first DE said he would've felt comfortable moving me to DE2 by the end of the weekend. I'm still in DE1, though, because I value the additional input that the instructors provide and I really don't want to lose that until I have more seat time. I've heard several people on here say that the more time you spend in one, the less time you spend in 2-3 simply because you know what it is that you need to improve on. Just remember - it's not a race to see who can get out of DE first; it's a progression of making you a better driver. Concentrate on that and the progression through the ranks will take care of itself.

Agreed......... I was offered too move up to DE2 because of a full DE1 since I had 4-5 under my belt but I chose to be on the wait list for DE1.

Like others have said, don't worry about moving up through the levels so fast and take time to gain knowledge from as many instructors as possible. The higher you move up, the more risk there is to your vehicle, so that is something to also keep in mind.

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, I've run entire solo weekends without picking up any time. I've NEVER run a weekend with an instructor where I didn't greatly improve some portion and drop my lap time.

I just got signed off to group two last time I was at the track, but plan on staying in group one for a few more track days to button down somethings I want to work on.

I just got signed off to group two last time I was at the track, but plan on staying in group one for a few more track days to button down somethings I want to work on.

In the NASA SE region you can request an instructor for HPDE 2. You may want to consider that route with your region.

In the NASA SE region you can request an instructor for HPDE 2. You may want to consider that route with your region.

I will ask before signing up for my next event if they will do that. I just know there are some things i would really like to work on and having the instructor makes a world of difference.