ttu typical cars and top speeds?

cool hand luke

So I'm in the final stages of getting my car finished, and I'm afraid that while it will be way more fun than I can handle, it might not be to competitive.

When you get all the way up in TTU, what are the typical cars? and, what are top speeds like? I think the top end might be my achiles heel. I'll most likely be running in Texas/rocky mountain regions so if you know what those track speeds get up to that would be useful.

TTU records for TX:

MSR-H CCW 01:40.926 (C6 'vette), CW 01:38.090 (C5 'vette)

MSR-C 1.7 CCW 01:17.113 (C6 'vette) 3.1 CCW 02:18.285 (C6 'vette)

TWS 2.9 CCW 01:47.207 (C6 'vette) 2.9 CW 01:47.370 (C6 'vette)

Hallett CCW 01:19.481 (C6 'vette)

Eagle's Canyon 01:51.778 (C6 'vette)

So obviously there are a few Corvettes out there running around. Also some higher end Porsches, sometimes some Evo/WRX STi type stuff, etc.

MyLaps will have some information out there as well (NASA TX and NASA-TX organizations). For RM... not sure.

Top speeds - shrug. Waaayyyyy faster than I can go that's for sure

Not sure how those get updated - but they aren't anywhere near uptodate. MW is full of 2007 records; TX is blank altogether.

In that case, somebody is falling down, since the regional directors are supposed to update all results and records after each event. All I know is that Florida is 100% up to date.

Mark

we're supposed to be getting a much easier to update page on nasa-tx.com that we can link over on nasa-tt.com... some of the other blank ones might be in a similar boat (hosted on their region's site).

Not sure how those get updated - but they aren't anywhere near uptodate. MW is full of 2007 records; TX is blank altogether.

In that case, somebody is falling down, since the regional directors are supposed to update all results and records after each event. All I know is that Florida is 100% up to date.

Mark

So is NASA-SE....

People ask me all the time what my top speed is. My answer is, " I don't know or care. Just want to slow down some before turning into the corner."

Lap times is all you should care about. Texas Mile is for top speed.

Oh, having fun is the most important part of going to the track. And if your not having fun, just park the car for awhile. Take a deep breath and figure out why. Just stay focused on having fun. The wins come while relaxed and smiling.

Speaking from experience.

My concern stems from mu current stupid small tires rolling on 13 inch rims!

I'm going to run out of gears at about 135 give or take

What's the car you're building? This month's RM event at HPR only had three TTU cars i believe; two C6Zs and a Viper. I don't know what kind of top speeds they're hitting, but with my TTB CTS-V which is short about 60-80 hp from the class limit is hitting around 123-127 I think, so I'm sure they're much higher.

that's a good question. I'm dubbing it the FrankenFiat. It started life as a 67 fiat 850. The previous owner had turned it into an SCCA solo car. When he nuked the fiat engine he went on to build a bigger and better car, and gave this to me. It has aftermarket Abarth Front suspension, brakes, etc. I have a porsche 5 speed transaxle, and a subaru ej20 twin turbo engine for it. Should weigh in at about 1550 lbs and have around 275-300 hp.

At Road Atlanta/VIR/Charlotte a 8.7:1 corvette will hit 150+ mph. I'd imagine another 200 hp in the same car and you would see 165+

If you have TTU level of power, a 135mph top end will come up pretty quickly at most tracks. I cannot speak from experience in Texas, but I guarantee that you'll be bouncing off the rev limiter for some time at tracks like Sebring and PBIR that have long straights.

• 3 months later...

My Viper, with shorter than stock gears, redlines in 4th gear at 145 at about the flag stand at VIR. 5th gear doesn't get used much. There are a few straights where my car won't hit 145, and at VIR, 165+ on the back straight. At Mid-O, where Nat's will be held, about 145 right before the 4 marker. I think you want to shoot for 145 if you can get it without taking all day to get there. Don't forget, you need BRAKES and HOOSIERS to slow from 165 to get around the turn a couple hundred feet in front of you...haha.

As far as RM Region tracks, I can get 140 on the straight at High Plains. I suggest you look at youtube or vimeo videos and find TTU cars with data. Mine is under "boxer12" if you search, and I have a clearly visible Racepak dash unit which shows speed on most of the tracks (when its working).

My Viper, with shorter than stock gears, redlines in 4th gear at 145 at about the flag stand at VIR. 5th gear doesn't get used much. There are a few straights where my car won't hit 145, and at VIR, 165+ on the back straight. At Mid-O, where Nat's will be held, about 145 right before the 4 marker. I think you want to shoot for 145 if you can get it without taking all day to get there. Don't forget, you need BRAKES and HOOSIERS to slow from 165 to get around the turn a couple hundred feet in front of you...haha.

As far as RM Region tracks, I can get 140 on the straight at High Plains. I suggest you look at youtube or vimeo videos and find TTU cars with data. Mine is under "boxer12" if you search, and I have a clearly visible Racepak dash unit which shows speed on most of the tracks (when its working).

The rules favor lighter cars, obviously, since its HP/WT and you can turn a lighter car quicker in any corner since C-force is at play. Shoot for no more than 3,000# if you can.