Thoughts on an '86 Porsche 944 Turbo as a HPDE/TT car?

gtb75

I've got an opportunity to pick up a very nice 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo (951) with around 80k miles for a stupid good price (you wouldn't believe it if I told you)... All of the normal major 944 maintenance issues have already been sorted on the car, he's just looking to free up space in the garage. That being said, I wanted to try and get some feedback from you guys as to if it would make a good HPDE/TT car? I've always been reluctant to run forced induction on a track car, but I'm willing to consider it at this price. I currently run in HPDE 3 in a 2006 Corvette Z06, but am unwilling to make the move to HPDE 4/TT because of the financial aspect of writing off that car.

With that all in mind, what are your thoughts on the 944T as a dedicated track car? I know from the Spec 944 guys that the NA cars are reasonably affordable and durable to run, but there's not much out there on the Turbos - hence my inquiry. I like the way the car drives and handles and the fundamental layout is very similar to my C6Z (front engine/rear trans)... On the surface it seems like a great option, but I figured you all would probably know more about them than me

Thanks for the feedback!

Not sure of that car's strengths/weaknesses, but I'd pick out what class I wanted to run in and see if I could put the parts I wanted to on it. The excel classifier tool is great for these kinds of what-ifs

Thanks for the heads up on the Excel spreadsheet... I noticed the tool on the website was down, so that helps!

I also posted this in the 944 Spec section right after I posted it here - and they have had some helpful feedback. I guess my main concern is that forced induction cars are usually the ones I see "blow up" at the track, so I question the long term durability.

Thanks for the help so far!

Keep the boost low, the octane high enough, and the fluids cool. Its very easy to get the power bug and to turn up the wick accordingly until it pops...

There are a few forced induction cars down here that are wrecking the lap records, but many of them only go out for a handful of laps and then park before heat soak, loose hose clamps, blah blah blah, etc. become an issue. However, I have co-driven a Rotrex-supercharged Miata that runs full TT sessions with NASA and runs with other groups without problems. Another turbocharged Miata that is a 2-lapper in TT is also used in HPDE with other groups, so boost hasn't become an issue with that car, either.

Consider this: When it blows up, is it cheap to fix?

Mark

I run a boosted Integra and Love it but have had boost cars for a long time and understand a respect my cars boost limits. I know a couple of guys in PCA that run 944T and have had great luck with them just remember with a turbo car you have more as far as maintenance and double check everything.

Thanks for the feedback! The car does have some mild bolt-on performance mods (ECU/DME, downpipe, exhaust, etc.) - should be running about 16psi of boost. I've owned turbocharged cars on the street without issue, just never really thought about a turbocharged track rat

If you can turn down the boost a wee bit, that should improve longevity on the track. Remember, power has to managed properly, and with more power comes greater need for cooling and greater stress on all drivetrain components.

I'm running the supercharged Miata mentioned above, and keep boost levels low (<7psi) for this reason. I'm not saying that you have to run this low to be reliable, but I am saying that any reduction of boost will increase longevity. Then, you can have your car re-classed by Greg based on Weight/Power ratios.

The 944 is an excellent platform to work from, and I think you would have a lot of fun running one in HPDE4/TT.

Maintenance costs on my 88 944S are high compared to a C5. I have seen 944 Turbos running TTA and TTS. They are normally not competitive there and tend to break at those power levels.

Maintenance costs on my 88 944S are high compared to a C5. I have seen 944 Turbos running TTA and TTS. They are normally not competitive there and tend to break at those power levels.

I vote for a C5!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback everybody! After careful consideration, I decided to pass on the 944... I just couldn't get past the turbo aspect of the car - plus the cost of Porsche parts.

A C5 would be great, but it's more than I'm looking to spend this time around. That being said, I stumbled across a '94 C4 for sale by a fellow NASA member which is already set up as a track car... It's gutted, weighs in around 2800 lbs, has Brembos up front, around 330RWHP, and proper roll bar (not a full cage). It's a crazy good deal at $5k and I'm flying down to see it tomorrow. If it is as the pictures and description say, I'll be buying it!

Yes, it's a bit more than the 944, but it's ready to race... By the time I put an oil cooler, new spindles, roll bar / harnesses on the 944, I'd be talking similar money anyways. It just comes down to my familiarity with the Corvette platform as well as faith in the big lazy V8.

Thanks for the feedback everybody! After careful consideration, I decided to pass on the 944... I just couldn't get past the turbo aspect of the car - plus the cost of Porsche parts.

A C5 would be great, but it's more than I'm looking to spend this time around. That being said, I stumbled across a '94 C4 for sale by a fellow NASA member which is already set up as a track car... It's gutted, weighs in around 2800 lbs, has Brembos up front, around 330RWHP, and proper roll bar (not a full cage). It's a crazy good deal at $5k and I'm flying down to see it tomorrow. If it is as the pictures and description say, I'll be buying it!

Yes, it's a bit more than the 944, but it's ready to race... By the time I put an oil cooler, new spindles, roll bar / harnesses on the 944, I'd be talking similar money anyways. It just comes down to my familiarity with the Corvette platform as well as faith in the big lazy V8.

Good choice