Dumb Question

n80

Something else you can do before the event is find videos of cars driving CMP. Watch them all. Also go to trackpedia and review the turn by turn description.

Those two things help me imensely before I instruct at a new track.

Done and done. I've just about got the look of the turns memorized. And with a good video you can pause it at each turn and then read the description of the turn on trackpedia as you go through.

Feel free to find me in the paddock and ask questions or ask for advice.

Thanks, I'll do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Standard first day:

Drive around in the dark trying to find the correct gate.

Enter gate.

Drive around in the dark trying to find correct paddock.

Find paddock. Try to guess where you're supposed to park

Give up and park.

See line of cars forming. Wonder why.

Realize line of cars are for tech.

Pull into end of line 3.5 miles from tech station.

Sweat bullets wondering if your car/helmet/paperwork will pass tech.

Sail through tech without a problem because you've been obsessing over the tech form for months before the event.

Return to paddock. Parking spot taken. Drive around looking for people you know.

Go to first classroom session. Realize there is a whole lot of stuff to keep track of.

1hr before first ontrack session, start strapping in.

When it's finally time, pull into grid. Instructor will have joined you by this point, or at this point.

With stomach flopping, pull onto track.

20min later...perma-grin.

Congratulaions, you have a new addiction.

At the very least you can take care of the tech part on Friday. I highly recommend this. It saves the stress of trying to get tech done early on Saturday. You can find a paddock spot as well, but you'll need to bring something to leave there overnight otherwise your spot will probably be taken by the time you get back the next morning.

Speaking of bringing things, I can't remember if anyone mentioned it but for CMP you'll probably want to bring a wheel chock of some sort. Your brakes will be really hot when you get off track, and you don't want to be relying on them to hold the car in spot when they are good and hot like that.

Coming Friday afternoon is my method of choice, actually. Its generally easier to get through tech because its less crowded. I also have a "checklist" that I go through Friday evening to check things like brakes, lug torque etc. Usual maintenance items, and good things to double check mainly. Plus, since I trailer in, power pole availability is generally better on Friday in some places. Friday is also a good time to meet people, some of whom may not be in HPDE, but are always welcoming to a new face. IMO, some of the best times Ive had at the track didnt necessarily involve being in the car, rather, sitting around Friday evening having a drink and BS'ing with some friends.

Also, you can wake up fresh in the morning and not have to worry about doing all of the previously mentioned stuff.

Thanks guys. I think it it will definitely be worth it to come on Friday.

I usually come up on Fridays gives you time to get settled in and make sure everything is 100%.

I get there on Friday evening also. Like other have said it makes the rest of the weekend a little easier.

Are you going to be in TTA Kim? It will be my first time at CMP so go easy on me.

Yes I will be in TTA at CMP. You should like the "Kink" I know that it is one of my favorite turns. Kind of like Khoi and T7 at RA.

I figure if I do just the opposite of Khoi I'll be fine