Standing starts????????

Burnett

All,

Have you read all of the info Todd sent us about a standing start at Nationals? I vote no standing start. The great lakes and mid west have not done one all year.....has anyone in AI? Why introduce something new now? If we are going to mess with things lets run the track backwards, that will be different too. Or run in reverse, yes I know that is just being stupid but so is a standing start for AI.

Lets stick to the way we always do it (dont you dare count last years nats)

Robin Burnett

I think they will listen to the drivers, what do you think? Post away!

since 90% of the ai entry is our "great lakes" region anyhow and yes we have not done one standing start yet this year I will vote no standing start on this .

if it matters .

Soooooo Robin sucks at standing starts. Or maybe he is good at them using reverse psychology. Hmmm.

We did some in the Midwest region, always the last race of the weekend.

I vote YES for standing starts - and include AIX!

-Jim "Podium Filler" Pantas

#84 AIX Mustang

I'm sure the " REAL " aix cars would love that ........

With the new transmission and a granny gear geared low to get in and out of the trailer, I have no problem with it. The older transmission was nearly impossible to get started.

Or maybe I will just start in pit lane a half a lap behind Pantas to give him a chance.

With the new transmission and a granny gear geared low to get in and out of the trailer, I have no problem with it. The older transmission was nearly impossible to get started.

Or maybe I will just start in pit lane a half a lap behind Pantas to give him a chance.

Why not start from the trailer to *really* make it fair?

See you guys soon.

-JWL

We've had a couple standing starts at Summit Point.One had a AI car break the driveshaft and not move and the other had someone stall his brand new Boss 302S in front of the field! Great fun!

Ron

The WC guys will have an advantage....

The Boss 302S will have a huge advantage.....

The GM guys will be crying bloody murder......

Edited by Guest

In Texas, we have a standing start twice per race weekend. R1 and R3. R2 and R4 are inverted rolling starts based on R1 and R3 finishing position. So, we have approx 8-10 standing starts per season.

The only track we do not do standing starts on is TWS because start/finish is on the oval banking.

If I were going, I'd vote for standing starts. They really are a blast.

They really are a blast.

Only if you didn't choose your drive line before standing starts were en vogue for AI.

As one of the two GMs in the field, I officially cry bloody murder.

I vote NO to standing starts in AI!! We have a say in the vote too damnit (cmc is blanketed by ai isnt it)! hehe

.... please leave the standing starts the way they are, for us CMC cars

-Chris

CMC

In Texas, we have a standing start twice per race weekend. R1 and R3. R2 and R4 are inverted rolling starts based on R1 and R3 finishing position. So, we have approx 8-10 standing starts per season.

The only track we do not do standing starts on is TWS because start/finish is on the oval banking.

If I were going, I'd vote for standing starts. They really are a blast.

Put a real racing clutch in your car and you will think twice about that...engagement for standing start would usually produce wheel hop and broken axle parts. Why do you think we have winches on our trailers.

Wow, am I so glad I just chose to keep my money and stay home, the week is not even starting and the Todd factor is already kicking in. Good luck guys have some fun, try not to let Todd suck all the fun out. Just meet without him choose what you want and do it no matter what he says. It's not like he can dq everyone no one would win.

There was talk of a standing start in Salt Lake city 2009. Instead we were supposed to get a very controlled rolling start. Didn't happen, (pole sitter and race director had thier own private meeting) Our group was zero for two on proper controlled rolling starts in Sunday race. But I'm not bitter and certainly don't want to harp about it . But I digress.

I don't have a horse (or in this case, a car) in this race, but I'm not a fan of standing starts. Races typically are not won at the start, but they are often lost. Too much of an opportunity for something bad to happen, either car parts or human error or poor decisions. Standing starts may be fun to experiment with at the regional weekend race, but I don't think they should be part of the National week.

I"m not lured in by the "cool factor" or reving my engine and side stepping the clutch. I'd be much more impressed with a nice clean, fair start to the race. I'm sure our "dozens" of fans would love to see "burn outs", but I like some of Robbins ideas. Maybe you guys could switch cars halfway thru the race, kind of like a stop light fire drill. Or I like the idea, that if AI does standing starts, so does AIX

I dont have a dog in this fight since I have had to sit out for most of the year. But, I dont like the standing starts. Too much oportunity for broken parts or someone to stall and cause bent up race cars (which Im already dealing with) Good luck to all of you at the Nationals

How is NASA going to verify that traction control is disabled on the cars that have it?

Same method for checking for "stock" ABS (sorry couldn't resist).

Always humorous reading posts.

Seperately some need to not slam folks and be productive not out right hostile.

My thoughts on standing starts:

- It needs to be AI only and not AIX and other race groups. Most issues come from class mixing and more radical cars. Only 9 rows so honestly if spacd correctly should be no issues.

- I actually really like them even given having probably the most damage on a standing start anyone has had this year.

- Hoosiers just require higher rpm launch. You always want to spin rather than stall.

- Traction control issue is real but honestly I think it would be slower given our lower powered cars and heavy weight.

- If only dry race will be Thursday I would rather it not be standing start but otherwise al for it.

Otherwise all for whatever is decided.

I do think going forward we should start having regional AI only standing starts and state 1 nationals race will be standing start if that is where we are headed.