Standing starts????????

Burnett

As an AI racer and maybe-next-year-Nats-competitor-if-the-stars-line-up I would prefer that significant aspects of the race format be locked in well enough in advance that this should not be a hot topic right now.

IF the majority of drivers have not had standing starts this year at all

AND the majority of the drivers don't want the standing starts

AND there is legitimate concern about breakage in a significant number of cars,

THEN I would think doing rolling starts would be the preferred approach

UNLESS the format was locked in long ago (start of season, mid-season...geez, at least before the tires were picked right?)

Having said that, I love standing starts - but I know they are part of the format so I plan for them... keep 'em coming in Texas.

'nuff said on that.

Good luck to all everyone at Nats!

If you want standing starts at Nationals tell all of us racers at this years event that NEXT YEAR we will be doing standing starts so that every region can get a few in before nationals! Throwing these in last minute is ridiculous. Enough games, lets just race the way we have been all year long and put on a good show.

that said, see you all at Mid-O in a few days!

Ryan Winchester

#56 AI/ST2

If you want standing starts at Nationals tell all of us racers at this years event that NEXT YEAR we will be doing standing starts so that every region can get a few in before nationals!

Except we have this discussion every year right before nationals. It's always the same answer. Some regions do them all year long. Other regions have never done them and are shocked when the topic comes up???

I've always loved doing standing starts...

Richard P.

If you want standing starts at Nationals tell all of us racers at this years event that NEXT YEAR we will be doing standing starts so that every region can get a few in before nationals!

Except we have this discussion every year right before nationals. It's always the same answer. Some regions do them all year long. Other regions have never done them and are shocked when the topic comes up???

I've always loved doing standing starts...

Richard P.

Still sounds like a leadership issue, when will NASA figure out how great AI could be with the right leadership. Maybe never, maybe soon. I hope soon. Just for the record, this is intended to be productive, and not personal, but it is a personnel issue, lets fix it and move on.

we should race under standard rules. rolling starts or standing starts. not both.

personally, i dont like standing starts and wouldnt want to race under those

rules. conversely if i enjoyed standing starts and entered with the understanding

that standing starts was the rule and found after that it was not, i would not be happy.

this is a basic and should not be an issue.

I've mad my position clear many times in the past. I don't want standing starts because I've seen more incidents on standing starts than rolling starts. I'd prefer NOT to do standing starts.

I agree that we should not have this discussion the week before Championships each year. If we are going to do it at the National Championships, it should be the standard format for the class.

Traction control? I run traction control. Mine is a size 9.....

ABS? Really? Are we going down this road again?

Let's all display our dyno curves so we can see who is using throttle control to limit power...

I plan to bring a lot of spare body work, suspension, etc... I can get my car fixed before the big race if I wad it up on a standing start. Or, I could just run my other car. What about the guy who doesn't have that luxury? I'd like to have a full field for the big race. Minimize the risk....

I'm looking forward to this week. Party at our place on Friday night....

BTW: My Piloti car is for sale at ANY point during the weekend. I will be racing that car and you can take it right from pit lane for the right price. But if we're swapping cars, I want Brian's car!

Guys...I hear you.

First off, standing starts have never been in the discussion for AIX.

However, as some have mentioned, standing starts in AI have been discussed every year I have been in this role. Since 2008, my guidance has been:

A). We will have a mix of standing starts and flying starts

B). Regions should work standing starts into their weekend schedules as appropriate

In 2008, at the MONTH Nationals, the schedule called for a standing start qual race. There was uproar...as many had never done them. Understood...we collectively conceded and reiterated the above guidance and told folks to expect some mix of standing starts regionally and nationally.

Since that time, most regions have done standing starts...a few chose not to. The 2009 & 2010 National Championships had a standing start. (1 of 3 races each year....33.3%....not all of them.)

Now with that said, we will discuss this at the Wednesday nite driver's meeting and we will decide there....with the actual drivers who will be in the races. Obviously, if the majority of the racers are local to the GL region, we'll do what's right.

I look forward to seeing everyone again for this awesome annual event!

CMC has standing starts every year, IIRC in the rocky mountain region (ai/CMC combined) we had maybe 3 standing starts out of 20 or so races and trust me I bitched incessantly to get more of them. My point is, it is not NASA nationals fault that certain regions "choose" not to do them. Get off Todd's ass! Can't wait to see you guys race! Woohoo go TJ, GM world domination

Humbly yours

"A lowly CMC racer"

Just fair warning, if you start behind me, have an escape plan.

Getting a 3000lb car rolling with a 9lb clutch and a <8:1 1st + final gear ratio doesn't always go so hot.

My point is, it is not NASA nationals fault that certain regions "choose" not to do them. Get off Todd's ass! Can't wait to see you guys race! Woohoo go TJ, GM world domination

Humbly yours

"A lowly CMC racer"

* AI races should be run on a single set of rules. we should either start rolling or standing and not both.

* 3 races out of 20 means that its possible to likely that drivers ran your region without a single standing start.

* lastly, putting together a national field of drivers that do standing starts as a matter of course with race cars built for that purpose with drivers that have done one now and then and drivers that have not done them, you are asking for a big wreck.

its the start of the race. i dont see how wrecking cars at the start of any of our races is a worthwhile risk to take for a bowling trophy.

Thanks Todd for having the discussion with those racing on Wed. Regardless I like it being based on the folks really involved.

Im not involved so, I agree, I really have no reason to want a say in this years Nationals. But, as you had said earlier, consistancy and timely decisions are important to those who are competing and those who are trying to compete

• Members
With the new transmission and a granny gear geared low to get in and out of the trailer, I have no problem with it. The older transmission was nearly impossible to get started.

Or maybe I will just start in pit lane a half a lap behind Pantas to give him a chance.

Why not start from the trailer to *really* make it fair?

See you guys soon.

-JWL

OUCH! Tropical Storm Lee says "Bring IT!"

-Jim

"Faster in the rain"