924S Build in Progress - Dallas, TX

Sm00thindian

I've been lurking around the 944 Spec racing community for a while and have finally jumped off the cliff purchasing a 924S to build for the series. Seeing you guys working together to build the 944 Spec racing community is what pushed me over that ledge. That said I am collecting some parts for the build and wanted to see if any of you had spares around.

Things I'm Looking For:

• Inner, outer, spring and front Polygraphite Torsion Tube bushings -- Went with Welts
    Ground Control coil overs. - Found
    Ground Control camber plates. -- Ebay cheapies will have to do for now!
    400 lb front springs -- Thanks Todd
    Front and Rear Weltmeister Sway bar. -- Thanks Ed
    31mm Hollow Torsion Bars or 30mm Solid -- Found
    Shocks and Struts. - Found
    Strut tower brace. -- Still searching!
    Stainless brake lines. - Found

Thanks a lot for looking, looking forward to seeing you all at the track soon.

Edited by Guest

Welcome...

Couple things.

Spares... Those parts are the build parts. Spares will not be common with those as most guys buy once and never again. I have lots of spare parts, but not those part. Good luck however.

Second.. Get Koni shocks instead of the Bilsteins. The Koni's are the defacto spec shock and the only reason Bilsteins are in the rules is due to a few guys that have them. It was not worth the fight to take them away, but I advise that you get the Konis when staring fresh.

Thrid... Get the rear weltmeister bar too. It is a match for the front and works pretty well. You may already have it and that is why it is not on your list.

Sure spend the extra $300 for a set of shocks that are not any better than the Bilsteins.

The Bilsteins are a great shock for the money. They are not adjustable however.

They did win the 2009 NASA 944Spec Nationals in a field of over 30 cars. Your decision.

I personally go with the Delrin for the rear suspension torsion tubes. But if the stock bushings on the front and rear control arms are good I would use those. Otherwise do not use Delrin in the control arms. This allows the suspension to move as it was intended to. Delrin creates too much bind at those points.

You do not need a strut tower brace. It only adds weight up high and these cars do not deform at that towers. Buy the camber plates that will allow the shock a longer travel. These have an elevated mounting point. It does limit camber a little but allows the shock to work in a better zone instaed of almost fully compressed. I do not remember who makes these but they are available.

All of what you read hear is personal opinion. Now you have mine

Thank you both for the 'welcome', advice and opinions. I realize these are generally 'build' items, I guess I was hoping someone had some extra's around they'd be willing to part with.

I also race first generation MR2's, I probably have 2 cars worth of parts by now. Cannibalization being one of the easier (cheaper?) ways to get parts for the MR2.

I also race first generation MR2's, I probably have 2 cars worth of parts by now. Cannibalization being one of the easier (cheaper?) ways to get parts for the MR2.

Same with the 944.

I have 3 944 parts cars. A low mile 87 924S non-sun roof. sadly it was wrecked with very bent tub. Long story, but had it not been wrecked I doubt I would be racing at all. Then I an 83 944 that was bought as cheap runner. And an 88 924S bought following engine fire. This was the cheapest of the lot I recouped the cost by selling off a non-spec legal wheels and an instrument cluster. Heck the 84 944 I am racing was bought as "parts car" and dragged home. It turned into teh race car since I needed a straight tub to replace my bent 924S one.

I can't really tally up all parts on my 84 944 that came from those 3 parts cars. They have save me ALOT of money over the last 11 years.

The 87 924S I bought was a single owner car from a Porsche enthusiast. This was his daily until the AC went out on it. It sat outside in the Texas heat, cracked the dash, oxidized the paint, dry rotted the tires. I bought it for next to nothing. Put some used tires off of an E28 I built with my son for him to drive to school and jump started the car and drove it home. I just need to sell off all these MR2 parts now to make way for 924S/944 parts . The girlfriend is a saint, but if I have two different kinds of spares laying around.... well it'll confirm my white trash status haha.

Smoothie,

Welcome to the class. Let us know how we can help your build. I have some of the parts you're asking for. The most important thing is to get the car on the track in a reliable and safe state. The details and upgrades can be added, but there's no substitute for track time! When I put my 924S on the track for the first time, it still had A/C, a stereo, and a cheap bolt-in cage! But, I was out there having fun with the guys and learning alot.

Make sure you know the status of your timing belt. If it's been running for years OR sitting for years, get it replaced.

Smoothie,

Welcome to the class. Let us know how we can help your build. I have some of the parts you're asking for. The most important thing is to get the car on the track in a reliable and safe state. The details and upgrades can be added, but there's no substitute for track time! When I put my 924S on the track for the first time, it still had A/C, a stereo, and a cheap bolt-in cage! But, I was out there having fun with the guys and learning alot.

Make sure you know the status of your timing belt. If it's been running for years OR sitting for years, get it replaced.

Agree with the above - I started racing with all the safety stuff installed but the stock suspension. Then gradually built up to the full race setup. (Not the best way of doing it but what the budget and CFO allowed)

• Members

Welcome aboard!!! Make sure you come out to ECR next month. Even without a car it'll be worth the drive to meet the guys and hang out. Get a hold of BJ at Clown Shoe Motorsports. He seems to have a line on everything parts related

Get a hold of BJ at Clown Shoe Motorsports. He seems to have a line on everything parts related

Thanks for the plug! We started talking about the build before he even bought the 924S...

-bj

Without knowing it BJ has been a key reason I pulled the trigger on joining the scrum. In a update my spec legal phone dials are on their way. I'm trying to get the car road worthy for the October race at ECR. Not to run in spec, but be there at least and maybe run in HPDE.

Well, Kilynn was at the shop today. I looked over the car. It's going to be a solid spec car. There are a few suspension bits and bushings that need to be freshened, but all and all it's a great car. It has new timing and balance shaft belts, now and he has the bits he needs to mount the rear welts courtesy of Tim Comeau.

-bj

Thanks for your help Saturday with the timing and balance belts BJ, and definitely for the once over on the chassis. I'm going to get the shocks, struts, bushings and coil-over kits ordered today. I'll be working to get this all installed for the October event at ECR.

• 2 weeks later...

So frustrating, I ordered my Koni's on the 26th of September and they haven't arrived yet, and I just found out yesterday that I don't have all the hardware I need for my Welt sways.

I don't REALLY want to run this car with 25 yr old stock suspension.

On the positive side, Jason from Paragon has taken a look at the hardware I have and we've identified the pieces I need to convert the front 85.5+ bar to the early style for the 924S. Should have those in early this week..

...I just found out yesterday that I don't have all the hardware I need for my Welt sways...

At least you have the rest of the week to sort it out instead of just Friday night before the race!

You're not the first person to have this happen to them..