Roll Bar for Corvette Convertible?

Robnie0723

Before you go buy a roll bar check out the AutoPower roll bars also. I had one in a Mustang Cobra convertible and the fit and finish were good. The broom stick test is very important.

Hope you're short... anything that works and allows the top to go up/down will restrict seat travel. In the thread you linked the OP is cheating on the broomstick test in the picture he posted. Even cheating it still looks like less than 2" of clearance.

You could just buy a Z06 and take the roof off for the cage install like I did... a few bolts and I have a "convertible" Z06

251595_1923699063412_1570178111_1868183_7456382_n.jpg

Hope you're short... anything that works and allows the top to go up/down will restrict seat travel. In the thread you linked the OP is cheating on the broomstick test in the picture he posted. Even cheating it still looks like less than 2" of clearance.

You could just buy a Z06 and take the roof off for the cage install like I did... a few bolts and I have a "convertible" Z06

251595_1923699063412_1570178111_1868183_7456382_n.jpg

Nice cage Cobra4B!

This is for a friend who wants to HPDE his convertible 2-4 times a year. The bar has passed tech on the west coast but he wanted to be sure it would be OK at VIR.

This is for a friend who wants to HPDE his convertible 2-4 times a year. The bar has passed tech on the west coast but he wanted to be sure it would be OK at VIR.

VIR is known to be strict for convertibles. That said I knew of a guy years ago who used to run HPDEs in a vert with an older 4-point bar of some kind. He ran the car for a year then got serious and bought a Z06. The answer will probably depend on the group he's running with. Also, it really depends on how tall he is.

As previously mentioned, VIR is strict on roll bars and convertibles. The guy in the Corvette forum would be sent packing, so unless youre short or you want to swap in a bucket bolted to the floor, it probably wont happen.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but its the same situation for any given Miata.

Best verts to do HPDEs in are S2000s or Boxsters. Most organizations consider their "halo" bars legal because they're structural parts of the chassis. Also, there are bolt-on options to increase the height of them that are legal with some run groups.

Trying to HPDE a convertible Corvette usually ends up in frustration and a hacked up car.

Thank's all for the reply's.

Between this info and I pointed out the safety risks of a bare skull impacting the bar if rear ended on the street he decided not to risk it.

I tracked a corvette convertible with a roll bar for a few years. If your friend ever starts to think about it again, contact me and I'll give him 1000 reasons not to.