Noob

superfrog

Hi, I'm brand new to all of this. I would like to participate in HPDE1 coming up in my region next month. My DD is my lowly Honda Civic, would it be ok to just get a rental from somewhere like Hertz or something?

In the mean time I'll look for a dedicated car. Old e30 or something.

What is wrong with your DD, it will do fine on track. Save some money and use what you have.

Nothing is wrong with it. My only concern is that something might break or happen and I'm stuck without my car for a week. I could rent an Aveo for like $25 a day so it seemed like cheap insurance.

I appreciate your feedback!

I agree. Air up the tires to about 36psi to keep them from rolling over on the shoulders, make sure your brake pads are at least 3/4 material, no fluid leaks, and go.

You don't need anything special for your first event or two. Just a legal helmet, mechanically sound car, good brake pads and an OPEN MIND.

-Kevin

Take a look at some of the Honda Challenge race cars out there, even in the lower classes like H4. They're not slow Besides, a car with less horsepower forces you to learn to carry speed through the corners which is a good thing. So long as the car you have is safe and reliable it's plenty good enough for HPDE.

- KB, who races a car with a whopping ~120whp.

I will say the VW CC actually did look pretty good out at TWS. Whoever that looney was that was driving it

In all honesty the kinds of cars that are out there that aren't $texas/day to rent won't be much better than your Civic.

. I could rent an Aveo for like $25 a day so it seemed like cheap insurance.

I appreciate your feedback!

So you are a little worried about hurting your DD I can understand that. What do you think the car rental place would have to say if you brought their car back all banged up or broken.? The chances are that you will not hurt your car or yourself. You will have a good instructor in the car with you to help you get around the track. What you will hurt is your wallet and that can not be helped but you should have a great big grin on your face that will last a long time.

What is wrong with your DD, it will do fine on track. Save some money and use what you have.

Agreed!!!!

Now if you have a newer Honda and are still paying the bank and you are really concerned - buy an HPDE policy to cover you for the event. Last time I did that I recall a $12K policy with a $1K deductible was less than $100 for the weekend.

Since you have never been on the track I HIGHLY reccomend you take your DD the first time for at least these reasons:

You will learn your car has brakes (I mean really learn what they can do)

You will learn how much cornering ability your car really has

You will learn to look ahead and plan for emergencies

I don't care who you are those three things alone will make you a better driver in YOUR car on the street stop light to stoplight and the interstate. Most folks look at most 1 car length ahead and don't anticipate issues on the road.

Have fun - OBTW you didn't mention what region you were in.

Side note - I've seen those rental Aveo's on the track - don't do it unless you want to put new tires on it before you return it