NASA/Konig Wheel Deal

NASA Jim

For that price it's a no-brainer unless you just have no use for another set of wheels.

I wish I could be more optimistic that they'd have wheels in the size/offset I need but I doubt it. I'll go check for further details at Members Benefits.

PS: while at that price I'd even adjust my needs, I'd like 17" X 9-1/2"F and 10-1/2"R in something very close to a +50mm offset. Unfortunately for me, didn't see anything close to that

HEY CHAD!! Well, as I said on MM I don't really know about that. I just thought it was a possibility as someone told me of it in the past. Anyways, if they were mostly for track use it wouldn't matter anyways. I am trying to pick some 15's for the Omni.

Does anyone have any idea when this deal might expire?

Just talked to Aaron at Konig Wheels... The wheel deal is on hold until they set up some forms that are supposed to posted on the NASA site that we will be required to fill out and fax to them... appearantly people have been trying to order 6 wheels or more at a time and obiviously no one runs 6 wheels at once, so to ensure no one is selling them they are changing the offer requirements. Aaron said the new requirements should posted up in 5 to 10 days....

Say I were to buy the wheels and then sell the car they are on...how bad is that? I mean, they are sharp and cheap but I am not sure I will be keeping my other car. How do they plan on checking if they are being run or does that even matter?

They would'nt get into details with me but I kinda got the impression that we'll have to submit/fax a signed form stating the purpose/vehicle they'll be on and most likely be limited to a set of 4 and only a 1 time deal or a limit to the amount of sets within a time period that you can buy them... again they would'nt epound but he said the forms would be up in 5-10 days... so I guess we'll see

... obiviously no one runs 6 wheels at once, ....

Nonsense. It's not uncommom to buy 5 or 6 track wheels so they can be rotated through. If you only have 4 wheels/tires you're done as soon as one is damaged or wears out. You need at least 5 to have a spare if you drive to the track on track tires and have upgraded brakes that won't fit inside a factory wheel. Racers may want at least 8 (probably at least 10) so they have a dry set and a wet set. I have multiple track cars, if they offerred wheels that fit I was thinking of buying 4 race wets and possibly 5 or 6 larger wheels for my street/track car.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but there are some posts elsewhere on the web that are saying that this isn't the great deal that it is purported to be on the NASA web site.

http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=111841&highlight=wheel+deal

http://www.sccaforums.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/2/1598

Here is an excerpt from one of the posts:

"I just got off the phone with Konig and they told me that the deal is not entirely correct. First off, the deal is not finalized until a month from now. Second, it is not on ANY 15 inch wheel. It is on CERTAIN wheels and they have not determined what the wheels will be YET."

Personally, I hope its not true, but my gut feeling is that if something sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.

... obiviously no one runs 6 wheels at once, ....

Nonsense. It's not uncommom to buy 5 or 6 track wheels so they can be rotated through. If you only have 4 wheels/tires you're done as soon as one is damaged or wears out. You need at least 5 to have a spare if you drive to the track on track tires and have upgraded brakes that won't fit inside a factory wheel. Racers may want at least 8 (probably at least 10) so they have a dry set and a wet set. I have multiple track cars, if they offerred wheels that fit I was thinking of buying 4 race wets and possibly 5 or 6 larger wheels for my street/track car.

When they said that I took it as people were buying them and reselling them, I know that racers usually have a few sets... I have 2 sets now... The Konig guy made it sound like we should'nt be buying more than a full set but I could'nt get a word in edge wise with him... as I was giving him my info he interrupted me and said "NASA" was I had to say and then he continued with the info that "New" procedures were being put in place and would not expound any further... He kinda brushed me off

If you go to the NASA web site (http://www.nasaproracing.com), you will notice that there's no mention anymore on the main page or the member benefits page about the Konig wheel deal. Wonder if it was all just a mirage?

yes but it was there last week. I'm just waiting for the form online.

I'm ready for some 17x7 Heliums in bronze.

The crack about the mirage was a joke. But seriously, I think it would be a nice idea if NASA updated the "benefits" web page with any new info about the deal (instead of just removing it alltogether)

NASA and Konig regret to announce that the discount program that was announced earlier this month must end today. NASA’s program with Konig wheels was such an overwhelming success that Konig has run through the allotted inventory dedicated to program. Members who have already ordered wheels through the program will get their wheels, but the offer unfortunately cannot be extended any longer. “The amazing response to this deal really shows the purchasing power of the NASA membership,” commented Chris Cobetto, NASA Mid Atlantic Director and author of the deal.

NASA is working on a new deal with Konig, which will be published shortly. “We are working hard to fulfill the huge stack of current orders and we are excited about putting together another package for the NASA membership,” said Ernie Manansala Konig’s Marketing Director. “We should have something together and approved by NASA soon.”

It is expected that a new deal with Konig will be announced on http://www.nasaproracing.com as soon as a few items are approved. For information about Konig’s product lines, please visit: http://www.konigwheels.com.

Can you say "Bait and Switch" ?.....

There's too much information not forthcoming. Like how many wheels were "allotted" to the "program". Like how many folks joined NASA because of the not completely truthful NASA website announcement.

I smell a rat. How could Konig/NASA not expect an "amazing response" given the wording of the announcement. I expect that very few actually got to "order" any wheels. I know that I tried (both via email and phone - before the deal turned sour) and was given the brushoff both times (no response via email and told to call back in a couple of days when I called them).

What does Konig think - that I'll order some wheels at full price from them because of this? No way!. I will get my wheels from a supplier who stands by his commitments and products, not someone who promises more than he's prepared to deliver.

Unless they come back with an AMAZING deal. Im not going to take advantage of a deal with konig. I dont want to support someone that backs out of things. I was really looking forward to those wheels... i almost sold my current wheels too. Screw that

Can you say "Bait and Switch" ?.....

There's too much information not forthcoming. Like how many wheels were "allotted" to the "program". Like how many folks joined NASA because of the not completely truthful NASA website announcement.

I smell a rat. How could Konig/NASA not expect an "amazing response" given the wording of the announcement. I expect that very few actually got to "order" any wheels. I know that I tried (both via email and phone - before the deal turned sour) and was given the brushoff both times (no response via email and told to call back in a couple of days when I called them).

What does Konig think - that I'll order some wheels at full price from them because of this? No way!. I will get my wheels from a supplier who stands by his commitments and products, not someone who promises more than he's prepared to deliver.

I had the same thing happen.. I emailed as per the web site and no respnse for over a week, when I called the guy listed on the ad at NASA he immediatley brushed over to someone else who I had to lkeave a message for.. after 2 more days waiting I called back and he stopped me dead sentence and stated the deal was being re-written and he could not full-fill my request at that time... I'm going to check my e-mail date and maybe demand they full-fill the order as I placed it before any info was removed from the site