New to NASA and HPDE

cjdooley

Hello all,

I am just getting into NASA and HPDE but I am very excited! My car is a 2005 Mustang GT and I am in the Northern California Region. I would just like to know what is a typical weekend like? With the equipment that is and is not required what would you recommend? I am going to try and get out to one of the infineon events before the year is up even if its just to take in the sights

Make sure your car is safe and reliable and can pass a simple tech inspection..no loose batteries...no visible leaks of coolant and or oil etc.

You will also need a good helmet that has a current DOT /SNELL rating.

Make sure your tires are in decent shape and properly inflated. You will probabaly want to take a tire guage and maybe an air source ( portable tank) and extra gas.

Make sure if you don't have clear bra on your car that you take some painters tape or something simsilar to protect the leading edges of the hood, grill and headlight area...blue painters tape works well. Make sure NOTHING blocks your radiator open to cause an overheating issue.

Even in HPDE1 you are required to have a visible number at least 10 inches tall on each side of the car. Painters tape will work for this too.

LISTEN TO YOUR INSTRUCTOR!!

And prepare to have the time of your life and get hooked in a hurry!

I have only been to one HPDE1 event and next weekend will be my second! I am having a LOT of fun in MY mustang!

+1

Additionally, make sure you check your brake pads. If it were me, I would go ahead and order a new pair of front pads regardless of what your current pads look like and swap them in once I got to the track. If you want, you could swap them back out before you leave at the end of the weekend. And speaking of brakes, you might want to bring a wheel chock of some kind. Your brakes will be extremely hot when you come off course, so you want to avoid setting the parking brake until they cool off.

I did my first HPDE recently and am going again next weekend. It was a blast!!! Luckily I have a couple buddies that have been racing CMC2 for a few years and really helped get me straight.

What I learned using my daily driver (Charger SRT-8). You will likely experience brake fad by the third session on the first day (I did). Prepare to bleed the brakes sat evening. You will likely be doing it again before you leave sunday. Tire pressure will need to be changed...but I don't know enough to say you need more or less air. Somewhere on the site is a list of things you should bring and what to expect. Search for the info, it's out there.

Drink LOTS of water

listen to your instructor

You must wear long pants/shirt. Blue jeans and cotton long sleeve T-shirt are fine

Listen to your instructor

You need an approved helmet

pay attention to what your car is telling you

service the car between runs

For my second HPDE event next week:

Food, drinks, clothing, etc

Changed brake fluid to Wilwood EXP 600 plus (and will now run this in the car all the time)

Change brake pads (I've bought Carbotech XP 12's front, XP10's rear. These are track only use)

Carry a spare set of front rotors

Tools to bleed brakes (I had to borrow this stuff last time)

Tire pressure gauge AND a 12V air pump to adjust tire pressure (another thing I borrowed was air)

Basket to put all that crap you usually leave in the glove box, center console, trunk, etc

I cooked my brakes and had pedal fade in the 3rd session. We bled the brakes and it happened again 3rd session the second day. Once home I realized the pads were OK but the fluid was still bad and the rotors were warped beyond turning.