New Member Needs To Buy A Helmet. What To Get?

PEP Racing

I'm a first timer and need to buy a helmet. I would like to buy something that will work for all classes, as I plan on sticking around for a long time in this sport! I tend to lean twords a full-face but is this a little overkill. I mean, most NASCAR drivers only wear open-face ones! Any help you may have with a specific model would be helpfull.

Thanks,

If you plan on racing, you will need a helmet with a Snell SA rating. If not racing, Snell M rating is fine. Open or closed face? I don't believe there is a such thing as "overkill" when it comes to protecting your brain and/or eyes. You can get good closed face SA helmets for less than $300.

Just a couple thoughts...

Make sure you try on your helmet before you purchase it: some brands/models will feel more comfortable than others.

Get a helmet with an SA rating (M rated helmets are for motorcycles and are designed to absorb a different type of impact - at least, according to the Snell Foundation). Here's a link to some info on the SA rated helmets, including proper fitting.

An open-faced helmet does give you better ventilation. This can be a big plus, even in a 20 minute HPDE session.

Here is what one company in Oakland has to say (it's owned by a former racer who now makes safety equipment http://www.bellmotorsports.com/):

Snell rated "SA" (Sports Application) professional helmets provide extreme impact resistance and higher fire protection than Snell "M" (Motorcycle) rated helmets. Closed helmets may reduce the possibility of spinal column injuries in head-on collisions. (The "chin protector" will strike the sternum (breastbone) and limit the head's forward movement.) For this reason, BELL MotorSports does not recommend open faced helmets and strongly urge you to use a professional contoured (not round or U shaped) neck collar while driving.

I got most of my safety equipment there and was really happy with both the quality of the gear and the staff there. Personally, I liked the Bieffe helmets and went with the Predator model. As for a full-faced helmet being overkill, bmw22 is right: there isn't any such thing as overkill when it comes to your safety. If something DOES happen, you'll want every advantage you can get! And things do happen: last month at Sears Point, somebody in HPDE put their car into the wall at Turn 10 on the last session of the last day...

You guys are GREAT! Thanks for all the valuable info! I never ment to state that ANY protection could possibly be "overkill", but I guess that's the way I put it. I know the value of good helmet protection first hand. I raced 100 mile Enduros on my dirt bike for over 10 years and had my share of crashes! I was leaning twards a full face anyway, but didn't want to jump the gun without getting some feedback from the veterens in the group.

Thanks Again!

Get a helmet with an SA rating (M rated helmets are for motorcycles and are designed to absorb a different type of impact - at least, according to the Snell Foundation). Here's a link to some info on the SA rated helmets, including proper fitting.

The only difference between M and SA is the flame resistant lining. Here are the links for Snell's certifing for both. There is absolutely no difference in impact protection.

M = http://www.smf.org/standards/m2000std.html

SA = http://www.smf.org/standards/sa20std.html

There are a couple minor differences (in testing and the acceptable results under face shield penetration test and in the specs for the shell are two that I noticed) and there are also differences in the required visual clearances. However, you are correct, the most important pieces of the impact tests are identical for the two types.

Thanks for those links: just reading them is further reminder that safety should be our number one concern. That discussion of the Flame Resistance testing convinces me that an SA rated helmet is the way to go for us!