Rule Clarification on wheels in H5/H4

tanjulio

I am reading the Honda Challenge rules. Yes, i know how to read, just need to clarify about wheels, ECU's and Engine swap IF, IF allowable for my car.

NOTE:

I have a 1990 Standard model (4 speed manual). I think i will be in H5 but NOT H4:

1:IS THIS Correct; maximum rim width in H5 is 7 inches, but the max tire size is 225 mm. Correct me but it seems pointless to go past 205 mm tire on a 7 inch wide rim.

2A: "Wheels must be made of metal". SO, No aluminum wheels are allowed? WTF, some OEM wheels are aluminum;

? LS MESH for my 90 standard model is not Stock; SO are LS Mesh wheels NOT Legal for my 90 standard in H5?.

2B: Also, I want to buy some TR Motorsports C1, but are these aluminum wheels LEGAL in H5?

NOW the ECU, Fuel injection; I have DPFI.

3: Section 8.1 Engine "k": OBDO can update to OBD1 or OBD2 ECU, but says nothing about OBDO converting to Multi Point Injection. ONly "OBD0 equipped cars may update distributor and associated wiring to OBD1 or OBD2" What does this Mean????

?IS OBD1/2 even an Option for DPFI cars???this is only possible for OBD0 If and Only If we can change to MPFI : i found no mention of this on the rules

4: Depending on possible engine swaps, i assume that i can swap in the D16A6, SOHC from USDM SI & Transmission and be "classed as an 88-91 SI.

Is this correct?

again it depends if i can do MPFI from DPFI.

Please don't insult or ridicule my questions because i am not hating you.

Thanks to anyone that can clarify.

Last I checked aluminum is a metal. Pretty much any OEM Honda wheel and most aftermarket wheels are allowed.

Changing from DPFI to MPFI would not be legal for H5 as you would need to change the intake. Not sure if there are OBDI variants of the DPFI.

Distributors/ECU's can be changed so you can gain more resolution for tuning or so you can add a chipped or Hondata type ECU. To facilitate this in the 85-87 MPFI cars one would need to use an adapter plate for mounting a distributor from a later model car like the 91 Si as the early MPFI cars did not have an electronic advance. Additionally extra wiring is required to make it happen.

Doh! I was reading metal but thinking steel; thanks for pointing out the obvious

Just to recap:So basically my "stock" 1990 Standard Model falls under Civic NOC and i can run H5?

I have another question, followup:

1A: What if i do a MPFI and source a D16a6 engine, could i run H4 as a 90 si?

Followup to my followup question

1B: What if i do MPFI and source/install SOHC ZC could i run in H4 as a 90 si or am i bumped to H2??

thanks.

225 is fine on a 7" wheel, especially the way some race tires are made with some slight cantilever type construction. And that's the maximum, if you really feel 205 is better its allowed - go for it.

And yeah, aluminim is a metal (as is steel, magneseium, etc, etc). They just don't want you guys using carbon fiber or something crazy like that

D'oh! I read metal but my brain was thinking steel. D'oh!

thanks for the clarification, i would never run carbon fiber

okay thanks for clarification, i 'l look at my options and plan accordingly