• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kbrew8991

• Varkwso

• TurboShortBus

• drivinhardz06

Horsepower sells cars. Torque wins races. You have to take torque into account when classing cars not just HP. You guys in the higher classes with big V8s and monster turbo cars aren't as effected by it as the lower class cars. My NA rotary can make the same HP but will never make the same torque let alone the flat torque curve of a FI Miata in TT/PTD.

As a rotary engine loyalist that currently has 2 rotary FD's and has owned over 25 in the last 10 years...

I vote to keep the current system of hp to weight only. If you can't beat them, join them. Not every car is going to be competitive as you know. After continued beatings from the C5 Mafia(Jason, Mark, and Scott) in my rotary RX-7, I dropped in an LS1. Unfortunately, the beatings still continue

The rotary engine alone will never make the same level of torque as it does hp. In this regard, there is no replacement for displacement. Even if the new power equation goes into effect using the suggested formula, the rotary won't be competitive. The V8 will still be tuned to the limit(equal hp and torque), and the rotary will still have significantly less torque.

Plenty of other ways to make the rotary competitive in SUR, but don't really see it being the case in most of the A-F classes.

I certainly understand trying to keep a level playing field between every car in every class, but practical application generally shows there are always a few vehicles in each class that are better candidates than others. Everyone wants to fight for points to make their platform more competitive. Alot of bias in this thread in general... I guess we are ALL competitive after all

I'm with everyone else, would love to see the minor tweaks. +3 on finding out new tire rules prior to Dec. 15.

a rotary engine loyalist....

With a LS1 under the hood

Does

Not

Compute

Bret - if they average hp & tq for everyone, high revving high HP stuff will be the way to go, not V8s. Its physics/science...

a rotary engine loyalist....

With a LS1 under the hood

In my 3rd FD, as noted in the original post...

If you can't beat them, join them. Not every car is going to be competitive as you know. After continued beatings from the C5 Mafia(Jason, Mark, and Scott) in my rotary RX-7, I dropped in an LS1.

[with flares, aero and $$ shocks funded by the Uncle Sam tax free program...

Nah, that was all money from buying and selling RX-7's and parts. It makes this hobby a little more affordable as I'm just a poor soldier. That, and the great instructor/TT program offered from NASA as well as all the great contingency's like Hoosier. The C5Z... that was all deployment money

aaaannnnd.... I have to do something to compensate for the driver's lack of ability.

...deployment money

aaaannnnd.... I have to do something to compensate for the driver's lack of ability.

And everyone earns every red cent of that money. It has funded many of my "needs".

A little late to this game, but what about making tubbing the inner fenders for tire clearance legal? So long as the factory frame rails are left intact?

There are no other changes planned for the tire Rules

In that case, can I get a star back on the early C4 (currently TTD** @ 3223lbs)? I could be wrong, but it would seem cars are classed based on stock configurations and current base class tire size is -30mm to that configuration, which adds another 7 points to run stock.

Do some searches and pull up the old threads that discuss that particular change in the rules, especially what Greg says about it. I want to say that went into effect for either 2007 or 2008.

Or you can just accept that it won't change. It is in no way based on what "stock" cars run in those classes.

Just to clarify not looking for a tire rule change, that's obviously been set, but I guess a re-class to address what the tire rule change would have.

Working my way through some old stuff as suggested and found...

So, the only dyno numbers that I even come close to trusting are the often boggus ones put out by the manufacturers for their stock vehicles. And, Kerry, we do rely on these numbers to obtain wt/hp ratios (along with 0-60 times, slalom times, skid pad results, 1/4 mile times, overall weight, added features/stock upgrades) to get our base classifications.

30mm of tire it used to get those numbers are a 7pt penalty now. And it's not like those numbers are any better than others in the class.

PS...I am saying this with the "pie in the sky" nature of the thread in mind When I get to TT I'll be a dyno re-class thanks to my desire to tinker.

There are no other changes planned for the tire Rules

In that case, can I get a star back on the early C4 (currently TTD** @ 3223lbs)? I could be wrong, but it would seem cars are classed based on stock configurations and current base class tire size is -30mm to that configuration, which adds another 7 points to run stock.

In your case I'd get a dyno reclass aiming for TTC, you'll get a closer tire size to your stock size and less tire points.

Maybe even more folks to run against