Tire issue- when is expected resolution for 2012 season??

Red Tornado

When will we get the final decision as many of us have first race in Feb. and clearly want a gameplan for season.

What is timeline on final decision??

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• robbodleimages

• svttim

• nape

• T&A Racing

We (as directors) here you. We got nuthin right now. Jeremy C. at NASA is working on it. As of right now we don't know more than you do. When we find out; you will find out. There is NOT a conspiracy of holding back information.

I can tell you that the goal of all the directors is to get a tire that lasts without dropping off, similar pricing for 17's or 18's, with an excellent contingency program. (pipedream?) We realize that tires are the main cost driver of racing and are trying to get the most tire for the least dollar amount per lap for all the racers. It is not something the directors have control over at this time.

shall we take it then that tires are open til we hear otherwise? this to potentially/realistically to include first quarter of 2012? and that there will be a break in buffer period?

shall we take it then that tires are open til we hear otherwise? this to potentially/realistically to include first quarter of 2012? and that there will be a break in buffer period?

Yes, that is fine, for the Midwest Region. For the months of January, February, and March in the Midwest region, tires will be open. - Wow, that was easy.

• Members

Yes, that is fine, for the Midwest Region. For the months of January, February, and March in the Midwest region, tires will be open. - Wow, that was easy.

Real racers run in the SNOW in February...

-Jim

SE Drives in Snow

• 3 weeks later...

My take is that IF Toyo is back as the spec tire that price will be changed significantly. I dont see how NASA can sanction a $500+ penalty per set of tires from 17 to 18. Although, I guess if NASA forced Toyo to reduce the prince by $100 there might be some that thinks its an unfair concession to the S197.

$341 for a total POS tire, plus whatever for shaving...

If that's the AI tire for next year count me out....

Wow, that's the POS tire we ran for the 6-7 years I've been around. It might suck, but it sucks for a long time.

Might be time to get some 17" wheels made that fit over 14" brakes to save some money...

TJ, that suggestion about three sets of 17" wheels is like suggesting you buy up some ABS. Arguing aside there is no reasonable excuse for toyo to charge $130 more for the 18. There is no reasonable explanation that the Toyo RA1 is easily the most expensive DOT track tire in size 275/35-18. It entirely defies the reason that there is a spec tire.

TJ, that suggestion about three sets of 17" wheels is like suggesting you buy up some ABS. Arguing aside there is no reasonable excuse for toyo to charge $130 more for the 18. There is no reasonable explanation that the Toyo RA1 is easily the most expensive DOT track tire in size 275/35-18. It entirely defies the reason that there is a spec tire.

3 sets of used Ford 95R's is less than $1000....and they will clear SOME 14" kits. Two sets of tires pays for that...how is that a problem? 17x9.5 Enkei RFP01's are right at $1000 a set if you feel you need good light weight wheels. Sell your 18's, sell your 14" kit and you probably have enough to buy stoptechs and 1 set of wheels. Heck, don't run 1/2 a season and save your pennies. There are SO many solutions to solve your problem....be thankful you dont have a GM!

Look for a solution that isn't just clicking "buy now" and writing a check.

$214 for a 17" race tire is AWESOME. It also negates some advantages of the 302S ABS

TJ, that suggestion about three sets of 17" wheels is like suggesting you buy up some ABS.

Well, I saw him selling 3 sets of 18" Forgelines in the FS section. So, I was hoping it was a proactive move.

Just unloaded the tire rack and finished packing up the crawl space tonight. 24 Toyos waiting for 2012. Hell, I might even break out the '03 date codes that have been aging in the back! They ought to be just about perfect.

TJ, that suggestion about three sets of 17" wheels is like suggesting you buy up some ABS.

Well, I saw him selling 3 sets of 18" Forgelines in the FS section. So, I was hoping it was a proactive move.

Just unloaded the tire rack and finished packing up the crawl space tonight. 24 Toyos waiting for 2012. Hell, I might even break out the '03 date codes that have been aging in the back! They ought to be just about perfect.

No secrets here...

Since I am a Ford dealer I get a pretty good deal on Ford Racing stuff so if I sell the Forgelines.....

A) and Toyo is the tire for AI I will buy 18x10 Boss R wheels for ST2

or

B) and AI runs a "real" race tire I will buy the new 18x9.5 Boss R AI spec wheel. (Who says Ford Racing does not give a sheit about AI????)