TurboShortBus

Suggestions for future event locations, dates, etc.

kbrew8991
nasa se isnt going to barber anymore. if mid south wanted to go there, they certainly might, but have not to date.

If they did, they would probably want that to be a crossover event to help with entries to make sure they cover the track rental fee. Could be a region trio event with the Southeast, Mid-South and Florida maybe.

if they schedule it smartly Texas can make the trek too. Its not a bad tow from Dallas, Houston, Louisiana, etc.

TurboShortBus
nasa se isnt going to barber anymore. if mid south wanted to go there, they certainly might, but have not to date.

If they did, they would probably want that to be a crossover event to help with entries to make sure they cover the track rental fee. Could be a region trio event with the Southeast, Mid-South and Florida maybe.

if they schedule it smartly Texas can make the trek too. Its not a bad tow from Dallas, Houston, Louisiana, etc.

Hmm, didn't somebody suggest Barber as a relatively central location for the Championships over in the "Pie in the sky" thread in the TT forum?

Mark

robbodleimages

i can imagine somebody suggesting that, but i cant imagine that happening. there is not nearly enough paddock parking there on one hand. on the other hand i dont know many drivers of higher horsepower cars that have any fun at that track at all.

Balroks

Deff a brakes and grip track, nice to have kinda like Hallet is for the TX region. The HP field that is AI/X doesn't seem to complain about it

kbrew8991
Hmm, didn't somebody suggest Barber as a relatively central location for the Championships over in the "Pie in the sky" thread in the TT forum?

Mark

I find the track kinda boring, hairpin turn - straight - hairpin turn that rewards the horsepower I don't have I can't see HP guys whining about it except for brake wear maybe but

I believe I also said in response to that - I could see Nats at Barber before I saw Nats at RAtl.

robbodleimages

part of it is the braking. part of it is that if you have a horsepower car, you are off the gas more than on it at barber. in fact you are almost never going straight. you turn in...track out....cross the track to set up the next turn in and then brake and turn in....then repeat.

heavychevy

Mark

I find the track kinda boring, hairpin turn - straight - hairpin turn that rewards the horsepower I don't have I can't see HP guys whining about it except for brake wear maybe but

I believe I also said in response to that - I could see Nats at Barber before I saw Nats at RAtl.

\

Why is that?

Joshua

I've been to Barber twice and look forward to returning there. The course is challenging and the facilities are top notch. Power really helps you climb out of the carousel and onto the straight between 3, 4 & 5, and move down another climbing "straight" between 8 and 12. Much of the rest of the track requires speed maintenance through sweeping turns and planning a strong exit - yet more fun and challenge!

sixshooter

HPDE1 new guy impressions-

I've been wanting to drive on the track for a long time but starting out was a bit intimidating. I ran local autocrosses for many years and even instructed but even amongst those guys there are many misconceptions about what is required to do a real track day. There are misconceptions about car prep (it's not fast enough to get out there with the big boys for XYandZ substantial upgrade reasons or it's not safety ready because I don't have a rollbar/cage/fire suppression/etc.) so people don't sign up. There are worries about not knowing enough as a driver (flags, heel-toe, apexes, braking zones, what's a paddock?) so people don't readily sign up. People often don't know how to get started and are afraid to ask stupid questions or don't know who to ask.

The most common question people have asked me when I told them I did a track day at Sebring was "aren't you worried about wrecking your car" because they automatically think track means door-to-door with open passing. Hell, lots of people think that's what I mean when I invite them to an autocross event. They also think that their performance car has no place on a track with race cars. They think their Corvette or 350Z will be trading paint with a grid full of caged race cars if they were to sign up for a track day. Most people don't know what an HPDE is, how it works, or why it is relatively safe for a nice street car to be there.

And most glaringly, most people who would go have never been asked to go. For instance, if I am talking to someone with a sporty car who seems interested in spirited driving (which seems to be often) I will invite him to the local Floida Corvette Racing Club autocross. This usually leads to several questions about what an autocross involves and what is required to be able to participate. There are often great misconceptions that would keep the person from trying to go to an event on their own that a quick conversation clears right up. I've been trying to bolster the turnout for the club for years and have been somewhat successful. With NASA-FL, I had to find you. And that meant I really didn't have the opportunity to ask anyone my stupid questions to make me more comfotable going for the first time. Similarly, I have a couple of friends who are Chin guys who have never invited anyone from the autocross group to go to a Chin event. I'm sure they assume that if someone wanted to go, they just would. That isn't how it works. Would you rather show up with a mentor or helpful friend or show up uninvitied and possibly unprepared? Plenty of people out there would love to try out HPDE if they knew what it was or how easy it was to get started.

I had a fantastic instructor at Sebring in October named Eric Armstrong. He had a wonderful demeanor as an instructor, constantly telling me what to adjust and reaffirming when I did something well. He took great interest in spending time teaching me outside of our on-track sessions. One of the most beneficial things he did for me was to take me for a ride along in one of his TT sessions. As a visual learner, it was very beneficial to me to see the driving line demonstrated and I profited greatly from this. He drew pictures of the corners and talked about technique in detail. I soaked up all I could and really appreciated the sincere interest he had in my success.

As a contrast, a fellow miataforumz.com forum moderator had a bad experience with his HPDE1 instructor up in the Carolinas. He said that the instructor was "a shouter" and was condescending and seemed annoyed at his "beginner-ness." We all have bad days and other things on our minds sometimes but it is important to realize that some beginners are true beginners and have never even seen the next turn before. Some have never been on any track ever before. If we want to encourage new people to join the HPDE and eventually TT ranks we need to continue to foster experiences like mine with NASA-FL and not like his. The thread is here if anyone is interested in details: http://www.miataforumz.com/showthread.php?t=435

I am also thankfull that our classroom time was well prepared and constructive. Kudos to you guys for keeping it on target, especially after hearing about the classroom time up in the Carolina event. It is ok to have fun but it is more important to teach when you are in HPDE1. After seeing so many in-car videos of huge conga lines at other HPDE events I especially appreciate the instructions regarding point-bys given at NASA-FL. "If you see a car behind you he's faster. Let him by. If it is a lower HP car you may have to lift to let him pass." There seems to be very little discipline at some of the other regions regarding this. I saw a video of a vette that was caught in every corner and would pull away in the straight from a BMW 3 series but never let him by, lap after lap. I can't remember who said it at Sebring but I heard the line (paraphrasing) "A brick on the gas pedal is fastest in the straight but it takes a driver with skill to corner quickly." As a Miata guy I appreciate the help. No Corvette owner wants to give a Miata a point-by, EVER. Even if he can't drive.

I am going to Road Atlanta in December for the Toy Run and have a couple of new HPDE1 guys that I have invited with me. I talked to them enthusiastically about it, shared in-car footage that others have posted on youtube, answered questions they had about it, and invited them. That was all it took.

The most important thing for me now is to get into HPDE2 for future track days because it seems that HPDE1 always fills up early (do to a lack of instructors I'm guessing?). I would have done Saturday and Sunday at Sebring if Saturday hadn't already been filled. I only just got in to Sunday and I registered about a month out. I would prefer to have an instructor on any new track but am afraid of being locked out of an event due to HPDE1 being full. If HPDE1 is the opening of the funnel to eventually get a few more people into TT, it needs to have a wide opening. That should be the last place you would be downsizing run groups and turning people away if you are trying to expand. What are the stats on that? For every 40 people that do HPDE1 you might get one new guy eventually into TT? I hope to be there one day but we'll see.

I am looking forward to NASA-FL growing and will attempt to do my part. I think that invitation and education are the keys. Perhaps we should have an invitation push in our newsletters and bolster up for additional HPDE1 entrants for a particular future event. Or at least a HPDE invite a passenger push to generate interest. I'm just throwing out ideas to try to help.

Sorry so long.

Steve

kbrew8991
Why is that?

One word - Carnage

You can spin in alot more places at Barber and not hit anything than you can at Road Atl, plus the average speed is lower so you're going slower when you do go off most likely.

That and it'd bring the event a bit closer to alot of regions out west of you guys.

King Tut
I am looking forward to NASA-FL growing and will attempt to do my part. I think that invitation and education are the keys. Perhaps we should have an invitation push in our newsletters and bolster up for additional HPDE1 entrants for a particular future event. Or at least a HPDE invite a passenger push to generate interest. I'm just throwing out ideas to try to help.

Sorry so long.

Great write up and definitely not too long. I read the reviews on the Miata forum as well. I know that in NASA SE you can always request an instructor, and I did it in multiple HPDE2 weekends. I definitely wouldn't recommend rushing to get out of any HPDE level though. I definitely agree that having an instructor is always best at a new track. I do agree that some kind of invitation push is the way to go. This could be done through social media or through members attending local car events and having NASA FL flyers on hand to give out. I know I am always looking to find people in my area of Florida to go with me to track weekends. I have been able to get 3 guys to go with me to NASA SE events, and I hope to bring some to NASA FL events as well. Spreading the word on local car forums would also help.

wpbcobra

I have been adding the up coming events on mustang forums and a few other forums in FL . letting people know how to get on the track. I have so far was able to get 2 guys that will be signing up for the Jan event.

Joshua

Great to hear that we have some new advocates in the sport. One of the reasons that I have stuck with motorsports is because of the excellent people that I have met.

See you at Homestead!

TrackRat
is because of the excellent people that I have met.

+1 to that. I have met some great folks out at the tracks and have lots of new friends out there. I have met lots of fantastic people and have been fortunate to call several of them my friend now.

But to the point earlier, I think once people come out, they get hooked. We need to figure out how to drive more people to the sport/hobby. How do we get more autocrossers to the track? I know David Tuaty runs a autocross-to-track event, maybe we can do something like that where we offer active autocrossers a discount on the first event to get them out to try it.

wpbcobra

But to the point earlier, I think once people come out, they get hooked. We need to figure out how to drive more people to the sport/hobby. How do we get more autocrossers to the track? I know David Tuaty runs a autocross-to-track event, maybe we can do something like that where we offer active autocrossers a discount on the first event to get them out to try it.

That sounds like a good idea to get new comers out to the track.

When ever i tell someone about doing track day they always say that the price keeps them away.

obzezzed350

I think NASA SE offers a free entry to a first timer if they buy a membership.

Balroks

Maybe if they SCCA autocross send Barbara your SCCA membership and receive an XYZ discount for your first event. What we did with the Roadster club is also has great potential on hooking drivers, not sure who or how that got organized

sixshooter
I think NASA SE offers a free entry to a first timer if they buy a membership.

One of my friends up in the Atlanta area recently signed up with them to do Road Atlanta and it was a small discount, not free. While entry fees are a small factor I don't think they are the overriding determinant as to whether or not someone participates. As we all know, people will find a way to support a racing habit once they become infected. It amazes me what people can rationalize sometimes.

With drug dealers the first hit is always free, but I think that would devalue the experience at NASA. It should be something special, an opportunity and privilege that should require effort and some sacrifice. And if they can't afford to come once, how could they afford to come back? The expense of consumables like tires, brakes, fuel, and travel costs are easily higher than the price of admission for an HPDE1 weekend anyway. Real enthusiasts will be willing to spend again and again even if it is only a track day every six months that they can afford. And we don't really want to cater to the lowest common denominator as our focus. We want to encourage people who can participate in an ongoing way. There are plenty of quality people out there that would get involved if invited.

Competitive racers don't want passengers but HPDE drivers should be encouraged to invite prospective drivers out for ride alongs. That might be a useful tool if we wanted to push an inexpensive introduction to what track days are all about. It might be easier for those that are unsure about risking their car or have preparation concerns to ride with someone for a day.

sperkins
Maybe if they SCCA autocross send Barbara your SCCA membership and receive an XYZ discount for your first event. What we did with the Roadster club is also has great potential on hooking drivers, not sure who or how that got organized

TurboShortBus

NASA-SE gives track time credits for volunteer workers, and I could definitely use somebody in TT impound if/when I go back to driving. They used to have a "bring 3 get 1 free" program for HPDE if you get 3 buddies to sign up. Is it still around? I quickly checked the site, but didn't find anything.

I have been to a couple of NASA-SE events at Road Atlanta, and there is a lot to be learned by just observing their program.

Mark

ozal92

Soon I'll be buying my yellow 4 door BMW M5. I'll be the club's official taxi service around the track. for a small fee, it will introduce people to what we do. Of course, all in the name of helping out.

Edited by Guest

dew-e

There are plenty of different kinds of events where you could easily help spread the word about NASA-FL, however, to do it right would probably require the region being willing to be a sponsor at some of those events. For instance, here in Orlando we have cars and coffee every month. Lots of high dollar sports cars, along with a lot of marquee clubs and car girls/guys. To me, those are the kind of events where it would make sense to setup a booth, have some racers, some instructors, some TT drivers that are willing to hang out and answer questions about the program.

There are also numerous other car related events throughout Florida that have the right market all in one place, just requires some leg work and maybe some advertising money to get something like that setup.

PBOC has been working with the MSCC autocross program where they donate track days for their year end awards ceremonies. The Tampa area BMWCCA club holds monthly autocrosses, and has been trying to get into doing track events. BMWCCA is a huge market in Florida that is pretty much untapped except for PBOC. I was talking to Amy about this at the last Sebring event.