New class - Mustang Challenge - NASA version...thoughts

D Algozine

Stupid phone.

he just unplugged it.

You really need to bang new drum.

No, I don't need a new drum to bang on. Just because that's how he did it doesn't mean it's the best way to do it. It would take testing to prove that just unplugging the module is just as good as re-plumbing with a prop valve. Just because Anders is the two-time CMC champion doesn't mean unplugging the module is the best way to get rid of ABS on an S197. Thanks for trying though.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• D Algozine

• robbodleimages

• blackbolt9

• svttim

congratulations to will stukas. at road atlanta on saturday in a(i believe) 4th gen camarohe set the new AI track record in 2011 trim.

beating in the process a field full of s197 cars including one boss 302 nationals podium finisher.

because a thing can be done does not mean that it should be done or that its right for everyone.

on another subject...at road atlanta on saturday a 4th gen camaro set the new AI track record in 2011 trim.

I don't follow AI real close so not sure who's car is who and I have zero dog in any AI fight, but this past summer I ran in thunder in PTA (only car in class) and was more or less loafing around on 100 treadwear "arrive and drive tires". The 2 AI leaders were having a close race and come up on me so I let them by and tucked in behind them for kicks and grins. This was right before turn 7. My corvette runs 8.4:1 power to weight and is shaped like a bullet, and I barely pulled up to either of them going down the backstraight (and I was throwing the coals to it). I remember thinking "Hmmm"

congratulations to will stukas. at road atlanta on saturday in a(i believe) 4th gen camarohe set the new AI track record in 2011 trim.

beating in the process a field full of s197 cars including one boss 302 nationals podium finisher.

Wait, This can't be . Are you saying that a gm platform car out ran a 3rd place national podium boss 302s finishing car ? Wait......he must of not had is abs plugged in? Ya, that must have been what it was.....

Congrats Will

Thanks Rob. It is a 4th gen. The car has never worked as well as it did this weekend; by far the fastest I've been at Road Atlanta. I attribute most of it to the new rear suspension I was testing this weekend. No more torque arm...

That was a great race and a great battle at the end. I can't wait for next year!

Thanks Rob. It is a 4th gen. The car has never worked as well as it did this weekend; by far the fastest I've been at Road Atlanta. I attribute most of it to the new rear suspension I was testing this weekend. No more torque arm...

That was a great race and a great battle at the end. I can't wait for next year!

...and how old were you Will when that car came off the assembly line....18 months? ....great job....you're a heck of a driver!

John

Will, were you on Hoosiers or Toyo's?

...and how old were you Will when that car came off the assembly line....18 months? ....great job....you're a heck of a driver!

John

Haha. The car's old...but not that old. Thanks!

Hoosier's. I think Pat was the only one on Toyo's.

Well the important thing is this clears the rule changes up no problem...

Great job Will. I figured my record would drop this wknd and glad to see an fbody do it. Nice running and great season!!!

John

Haha. The car's old...but not that old. Thanks!

Hoosier's. I think Pat was the only one on Toyo's.

Awesome job with the drive and the car Will!

All the internet bench racing can stop now Great racing with the 2011 ruleset. A bunch of non-abs cars and a podium for Steve's "AIV" fox body notch! With a little work (thanks Pat!), my car even went from DFL at Nationals to qualifying on the front row on BFG's for this race - too bad I had a flat and almost took out the field with a really regretable tankslapper.

Good times. See you next year.

Well the important thing is this clears the rule changes up no problem...

One event does not make for a sufficient data sample.

Congtats Will

• Members
Great job Will. I figured my record would drop this wknd and glad to see an fbody do it. Nice running and great season!!!

I hate to be the spoiler here but IIRC, we are not recognizing track records this year because of the open tire rule so unless someone tells me otherwise, I'm not sure your record has been beat (that was set on Toyos).

Regardless, Will was flying as was all the other top 7 or so guys. I'm sure the nice, cool, crisp air didn't hurt also... It will definitely be interesting next year when we all get back on one tire and with the 2012 rule changes in place. Looking forward to it.

Ed

the track record would remain for chris as it was done on toyo's. on the other hand even if you allow 2 seconds a lap for the hoosiers, a 36 in ai at road atlanta is elite. as i recall the conditions for chris's laps were even colder and more ideal. you can project will's lap within a half second or so of that record.

regardless will's performance is noteworthy.

Thanks Chris, Bruce...and you too Ed. It was great racing with all of you this season.

Bruce, does Pat host his Vid's anywhere? He has this whole race with lots of exciting moments.

Official lap record or not, I was stoked to be able to run with (and beat) so many fast guys. Turns out that fast lap was my only clean lap, and the only one I led...the last one. We had an awesome turnout of a great bunch of guys (and gal); and I'm sure I don't just speak for myself when I say that was one of the best race weekends of the year. Furthermore, there was no b.s. about abs or tires or the unfair advantage of the s197...just good racing all weekend. The Southeast has been that way all year long and I'm proud to be a part of it. Looking forward to next year and Nationals 2012.

I hate to be the spoiler here but IIRC, we are not recognizing track records this year because of the open tire rule so unless someone tells me otherwise, I'm not sure your record has been beat (that was set on Toyos).Ed

Ed,

How can you not allow the track record to stand? Hoosiers were legal tires in 2011. Rules change every year. AI rules have changed for 2012...are you not going to allow lap records to stand because the GM guys got a power break or the non ABS guys got a weight break? If NASA switches to Hoosier in 2016 are you going to go back and allow the record from 2011 to stand? When Indy switched from Turbos to Crapcars...did they not allow Arie Luyendyk's lap record to hold? What about when NASCAR switched to the COT and ran the rear wings. Did the track records not hold because they ditched it for the old spoiler?

Not busting your chops but the lap record was broken with a legal car on legal tires. NASA and the Regions need to let the track records stand from 2011.

Sidney Franklin

CMC #64

iirc the track record question was addressed when the tire issue first came up. it was decided that if tires were left open or moved to a sticky tire brand that new records would stand. if the series returned to toyo as expected/hoped, any track record on a non toyo would not stand. or am i wrong?

iirc the track record question was addressed when the tire issue first came up.

As of April, Todd's published position was:

Any track records obtained by tires other than Toyo, will get an asterisk along with the open tire used. Asterisk (*) Track records will be a temporary problem. If we return to Toyo RA1's, the asterisk records will go away. If we move to a new spec tire, only the spec tire track record is allowed to stand.

So, since AI is back on Toyo's, track records earned on non-Toyo tires are removed from the books.

iirc the track record question was addressed when the tire issue first came up.

As of April, Todd's published position was:

Any track records obtained by tires other than Toyo, will get an asterisk along with the open tire used. Asterisk (*) Track records will be a temporary problem. If we return to Toyo RA1's, the asterisk records will go away. If we move to a new spec tire, only the spec tire track record is allowed to stand.

So, since AI is back on Toyo's, track records earned on non-Toyo tires are removed from the books.

Well said and well quoted. Published position remains...objection, overruled.

(Wow...even the thread titled "New Class - Mustang Challenge" is talking about tires!!! Who is the moderator around here!!! )