E39 M5 as DD/DE car?

skruffy

It's time for a new daily driver/toy combo car. I traded my 06 GTi for a '05 Acura TL a few months back when getting my two year old in and out of the back seat became to much of a pain. The TL is an automatic and honestly I'm quite disappointed with it after a few months. It's certainly not a "sport sedan" by any stretch and it's tiny brakes, heavy weight, uninspiring engine, and automatic transmission means I don't really have any desire to take it to the track. When I got rid of the GTi I had every intent of buying a dedicated track toy but a job change means I probably shouldn't buy another car to use just once a month or so. We're also talking about trying for another kid in the coming months so I'm kinda stuck in the midsize sedan segment (so no e36/46 sedans).

I'd be looking at the under $20k set, so assume I'd be getting a 00-03 with upwards of 70k miles. The car will remain relatively stock with the exception of brake cooling and pads. I'm not trying for the ultimate track car, just a fun, nice daily driver that I can also track once a month or so.

Oh yeah, I'm in southern Ohio so I'll be going to either Mid-Ohio, Putnam, or IRP 90% of the time.

They do scoot and the engine is glorious, but they're pretty big and heavy feeling and slow to transition and difficult on tires. Not to mention expensive when they need stuff, which is frequently once they accumulate some miles. Definitely more of an autobahn/fast highway car than a roadcourse car. Although it would certainly be fun once, I think you'd get frustrated over time.

I drove one before and after a Koni installation and it was a great transformation. But not as great as taking 1000 pounds off the car would've been.

Also there's really not a lot of interior space difference between one of those and an E46. If you can make it work, a 330i ZHP sedan would be a much more fun dual duty car IMHO.

Got room for a $2k or so Miata (or similar) for the dedicated track car? Wouldn't have to comprimse as much that way. Plus you're not screwed if something breaks on track, or you crash in someone else's oil/coolant, or...

I've been down the Miata road before. At 6'2" it's hard for me to pass the broomstick test in any of the small roadsters with a rollbar that still allows for a top. Even without the fit issue, I don't currently have enough free time to do more than a handful of events per year so I'd rather not have a bunch of money tied up an a track car that just sits around most of the time. Anyway, I can't currently add a car without getting rid of one without the wife killing me. Anything I get must be dual purpose. I'd like to just swap pads and wheels/tires and head to the track.

I guess I'll need to start looking at the E46 sedans if the M5 is as much of a pig as my TL.

I was thinking similar as in budget, not in that exact car type. But if there's only "room" for one car, there's only room for one car.

I'm enjoying my long-time girlfriends RX8, very competent handling, decent power, very low entry costs, seats 4 adults comfortably enough (~1hr each way is the longest we've done with 4 people though - shortest was 5'8" and skinniest was 180lbs too). Downsides are you have to get used to a few tiny rotary engine quirks (check the oil, keep the ignition system in tip-top shape, and don't overheat it mainly) and the gas mileage isn't good. Lack of torque is a non-issue the way its geared.

Mazda offers great support to us club level type people as well.

Mazdaspeed 3 is another one to look at if you can get over FWD. Mazdaspeed 6 possibly too.. might be on the heavy / not-quite-so-fun on track side though.

Outside of those an Evo/WRX/etc could be made to work as well. Take the badges and wings off to avoid the boy racer image if desired.

Outside of those a SUBARU WRX/STi could be made to work as well. Take the badges and wings off to avoid the boy racer image if desired.

Fixed it, Ken!

If your budget is 20k or less, you can get ANY gently used WRX, or an 04-05 STi goes for around 15-17k. You might get lucky and find an 06 STi for around 20k, but they're holding their value quite well.

IF you go this route, definitely find one that has NOT been molested. Bone stock is preferred simply b/c a lot of the "modified" Subarus haven't been taken care of properly.

I'm a little biased here, but I simply love my Subaru. My good friend Jim has an EVO. He loves it, but the big difference between the two is maintenance. I can do a clutch job in my Subaru in a fraction of the time it takes Jim.

A buddy of mine who used to race Vipers when the VRL was around had a e39 M5 as his DD and trackday car. He'd bring it when he wasn't racing and didn't feel like doing the whole truck/trailer gig for the weekend. I've never driven it on track but did go for a few rides in it years ago and remember it being very fun. The car feels great at a place like VIR, but it did cook the brakes in relatively short order. This was back around '04-'05 when things like sattelite radio and heated seats were fairly new. I remember sitting in the pits waiting to go on track and him asking, "What setting would you like your heated seat on sir? Which XM radio channel would you like to enjoy?" and then he romps on it and takes off There was another guy there who tracked his e39 M5 regularly and he had a nice BBK up front and different suspension.

If I was in your position a relatively stock WRX STI would be the way to go... four doors and solid performance w/o the heft of the e39. Or maybe look at sedan M3s.... I've never shopped them though.

~Brian

Fixed it, Ken!

you gotta put Evo/WRX or you get pigeon-holed into one camp or ther other. Its like being labeled a Mustang guy or a Camaro guy about 10-15 years ago

(PS, from what I know about suspensions and friends that have done both, I lean towards the Mitsu ever so slightly... )

Thanks for the replies guys. Keep in mind that my usage of this car will be 99% street. I can only get to an event once a month at most and around Ohio I've only got about 6-8 months of events. I'm not adding another car, so vettes and the like are out. I know it's the best way to go but I can't justify the cost for something that will get used so little.

The evo/sti/wrx idea is intriguing. I'll have to start looking at those.

I would have to say it would really come down to daily comfort for you and the family as to what you get. If you tote the youngin's around a lot I would lean towards a late 90's early 2000's BMW Sedan. I've seen several 3-series of all kinds at events.

I would chime in with Evo.... Evo.... (:-P Coop, btw I hear changing spark plugs on a suby is fun ) but both the Evo and WRX/STi's are great little bang for the buck cars. 4 doors, turbo, AWD and good on gas if you behave. Both though are a little harsher for daily driving, not sure how the kids would like it. I am not sure how the roads are in Ohio but I would not like to drive my Evo on some of the roads where I used to live in NY state.

There was another thread no too long ago where someone was looking in the same price range as you, I'd look for that thread and roll through the suggetsions in there. What ever you choose hope you stay safe and have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

I think a second generation Infiniti G35 6MT sedan would be a decent track/family car. They are a little hard to find but they share suspension components with the Z cars so upgrades would be easy. It is a little bit of a pig but has 310 hp and a decent gear box. Probably a little less $$ than a comparable BMW.

First generation G35s would be a little lighter, less expensive and a little less HP.

I think with beefier antisways a set of Koni yellows and better pads and rotors you could have fun with it at the track.