Cool Down Laps and Mechanical Issues

brkntrxn

legitimate mechanicals do not incur a DQ - rule was applied incorrectly in this case it seems. Maybe there was some other factor?

I looked at the sheets and I don't think John DQed me since I told him later I had a mechanical. Either way, I'd rather take a DQ if something is wrong with my car than affect someone elses lap. We are not racing each other in TT, we are racing the track and the clock. It is supposed be a cooperative session and if I have an issue, I prefer not to affect anyone else. I have driven off the track more than once rather than fight the car and get in someone's way.

-Kevin

Leave the Miata at home and bring your Corvette to the track... problem solved

As someone who just went through comp school two weekend ago and who has been doing TT for 3 seasons, I think TT should be mandatory for comp school. There's no other venue to learn how to drive your car 100% flat out. You don't learn that in HPDE4 lapping sessions.

I also agree that race qualifying should be run just like a TT session... not sure why it's not. Maybe some NASA folks who make those decisions can chime in?

Just my $0.02

Leave the Miata at home and bring your Corvette to the track... problem solved

As someone who just went through comp school two weekend ago and who has been doing TT for 3 seasons, I think TT should be mandatory for comp school. There's no other venue to learn how to drive your car 100% flat out. You don't learn that in HPDE4 lapping sessions.

I also agree that race qualifying should be run just like a TT session... not sure why it's not. Maybe some NASA folks who make those decisions can chime in?

Just my $0.02

It is interesting. I can see both sides, and personally I would like them to run like a TT session but I think its part of the experience of racing. Ill learn to like it

I've run TT before. I like the NASA format. You are always going to have situations where you come up on traffic and it's inconvenient. That's part of TT. You simply can't legislate these conflicts out of TT. The vast majority of problems are driver awareness and a lot of that can be corrected at meetings. We don't want to legislate ourselves into a bunch of aggravation. More rules won't fix the problem.

there's some skill (and luck) in finding space for a clean enough lap in a "free for all" type qualifying session

Yeah I learned quickly... I was getting in the car when they called Thunder Group to grid and "BAM" wally zipped in along with everyone else who was fast. I hadn't noticed them lining up outside of the pit early to get position Now I Know!

there's some skill (and luck) in finding space for a clean enough lap in a "free for all" type qualifying session

Yeah I learned quickly... I was getting in the car when they called Thunder Group to grid and "BAM" wally zipped in along with everyone else who was fast. I hadn't noticed them lining up outside of the pit early to get position Now I Know!

Is it bad that I was always almost late to grid and I am the one announcing for the groups?

Yes there is. My biggest issue is that we leave pit road to a green track with cold tires. Obviously scrubbing tires on a green track is a no-no and you risk DQ for doing so. That being said, I've seen guys do it and that's not a huge issue to me. My concern is the guys that run ballz out slicing through traffic on cold tires in the out lap. Either way you cut that it's just not smart or safe.

The TT format is perfect for race qualifying. The morning practice session you grid by class, then the qualy session you grid by the time sheet. Go out on double yellow to get some heat in your rubber and then let it eat. Finally grid by class/time for the race as usual.

I don't understand what's so hard about implementing that. Shouldn't you be rewarded or penalized for prepping or not prepping your car to go fast/slow against your competitors?

Racers WANT to screw up their competitors laps.

I personally haven't seen that yet, but I can imagine that's true in some cases.

Not looking forward to seeing how I handle that situation if it ever happens to me.

Think about it. The thread starter suggested that a guy with a broken car simply pull off. Well, that's going to create (at least) a local yellow and probably an EV on track which will slow you down more than the guy limping back to the pits.

I disagree. If you have a mechanical, there are plenty of places at most tracks in which you can pull off and not incur a local yellow nor alter anyone's laps.

Case in point, Saturday morning I came out of Hogpen, slapped the rev limiter in my Z06 and the car went into limp mode. The best I could do was 1700rpms in 4th gear. I was far enough ahead that no one caught me until between T2-3 and I stayed WAY right. The next bunch of cars caught me at the bridge straight and again I stayed WAY right. In my mirror, I could tell that a bunch of cars were going to catch me in the Uphill Esses. So I took a hard right and went up the hill on the North Course cross-over. Some EV guys were working the Patriot Course gate and they let me through. I drove in my mirrors, got out of the way of everyone AND got off the course ASAP. I was DQed for the session even though I had put down some decent laps, but that was better than screwing up the laps of five people.

I never suggested someone pull off into the grass and stay next to the track. At almost all of the tracks I run, there are areas in which you can pull off and not affect anyone. Nor cause a local yellow.

-Kevin

BTW - I do not DQ for mechanical or safety...

Yes, but it appears that you exhibited strong situational awareness and consideration for other drivers...which is commendable. Do you expect to get that back from other drivers every time?

You're d@mn right I do. If you can't be fully aware of the situation, you shouldn't be running TTs.

You are my hero, for the moment anyway

... I'm not sure if there is an official way that we can say, "Use your head and don't be a jerk," though.

Mark

Mirrors are in a car for a reason. Getting people to use them is tougher.

Catching and getting caught is a fact in TT. The Roebling TTS record stands since I caught TTF traffic in a bad place. It happens. The SUR and A guys do need to be considerate.

The TT format is perfect for race qualifying.

If NASA wants to be consistent with it's program as a "path to wheel to wheel" then at the top of the pyramid (the race group) with all the previous experience and programs it makes perfect sense to have a warm up session (basically HPDE4) followed by a qualifying session (TT format) followed by a Race.