Seat & Harness question

devildog1679

I’m planning on coming back to NASA for HPDE’s took a little hiatus with new baby. I just purchased a 2012 Mustang GT. The questions I have surround Seats and harnesses. The stock seats don’t hold you in enough so I was thinking of upgrading to a Corbeau (similar to the Boss) and then a 4pt or 3pt bolt in harness. I know the seats wouldn’t be an issue but will the harnesses I’m looking at cause any issues with being able to participate. Below are links to some of the ones I’m thinking about.

Please advise. Thanks

http://www.corbeau.com/products/harness_belts/2-inch_retractable_harness_belts/

http://www.corbeau.com/products/harness_belts/2-inch_harness_belts/

http://www.corbeau.com/products/harness_belts/2-inch_double_release_harness_belts/

IMHO you are better off with the 3point OEM seat belt than you are with any four point set up. If you could find a harness bar for your car then go with a 6 point harness.

IMHO you are better off with the 3point OEM seat belt than you are with any four point set up. If you could find a harness bar for your car then go with a 6 point harness.

OEM one doesn't hold you in tight enough. A bar is not in the cards since it's my DD and have kids to drop off at daycare. The retractible one in the link seems sweet.

You'll want to read CCR section 11.3.2 then check with Corbeau.

Yep, read that last night but no mention of 3 PT? I can also go with other brands if they meet the certification.

I had the same problem in my Infiniti G35 coupe this weekend at CMP. It seemed worse in tight right hand turns. I'd have to brace hard against the door with my left leg and lean way to the right. It is also my daily driver and I'd like to find a solution without bolting in a bar.

But if the four point doesn't help anymore than the OEM system I wouldn't want to waste my money.

OEM one doesn't hold you in tight enough. A bar is not in the cards since it's my DD and have kids to drop off at daycare. The retractible one in the link seems sweet.

There are ways to lock the OEM belt so it will hold you. A good seat will add a lot of holding on it's own.

Get a CG Lock. I used them years ago in my 99 Cobra (much worse seats than your 2012 GT) and the CG Lock works wonders for holding your butt in place.

The best $35 you can spend.

-Kevin

I instructed in a Boss 302 with the Boss seats.

I'm a pretty big guy and those seats were very good with the stock belts.

Not prefect, but a harness bar or a bolt in hoop with harness stays and 5/6 pt harnesses they would be great on the track.

The 4pt just has too many issues and has to be specifically approved for the vehicle to meet the CCR.

Get a CG Lock. I used them years ago in my 99 Cobra (much worse seats than your 2012 GT) and the CG Lock works wonders for holding your butt in place.

The best $35 you can spend.

-Kevin

Thanks Kevin, that looks like the perfect place to start!

• 2 months later...

Bumping this thread up instead of creating my own. I'll go there if I get no response.

I'm hoping to run with NASA Mid-Atlantic starting later this year. I drive an s2000 which I know requires a rollbar. No problem. Any good rollbar for the s2000 generally loses some seat travel because you cannot recline the OEM seat the same amount as you could before. At my size I cannot comfortably sit in the car with the OEM seats and rollbar so the obvious move is buckets and harnesses. Money doesn't grow on trees so I'm trying to slowly get there. I already have one bucket that gives me a much much better seating position so I'm looking to add a 2nd.

Am I going to run into issues getting past tech or instructors not wanting to ride if I have buckets and the factory 3-point belts? I'd love to do it all at once but for the cost of everything I figure I could get at least 1 or 2 events under my belt before I add harnesses.

Most people I ask just say driver and passenger have to have equal restraints which is what I would have. I know with a rollbar and buckets you want to run harnesses but do the rules actually require it?

The two most local tracks and the ones I'll likely be on 99.9% of the time are Summit Point and VIR. I know VIR absolutely requires it. I'm not as familiar with Summit but I do know there was an event last year on whatever the shortest/smallest/slowest configuration is that didn't require one but I don't want to limit myself to only that.

I just want to know if I'm fine the first time or two going out with buckets, rollbar, and factory belts. I have no intention of running like that long term.

• 2 months later...

I would like some clarification on this too, My sons car has a racing seat for the driver with a Harness, but the instructor's seat is a stocker with a 3 point belt. Does he need to upgrade to the same harness or upgrade both? We need to get this done before VIR this coming weekend.

I would like some clarification on this too, My sons car has a racing seat for the driver with a Harness, but the instructor's seat is a stocker with a 3 point belt. Does he need to upgrade to the same harness or upgrade both? We need to get this done before VIR this coming weekend.

Look at the rules book, page 44 states that the passenger seat does not have to match drivers seat as long as it meets the minimum requriements.

that said its an expected courtesy to have "equal" restraint systems on each side

Agreed which is why I'm running the same seats on both. I also installed Corbeau 3 point retractible harness, from the rules I take it I can't use these but I did maintain the stock 3 point system in place so I guess I can run them instead?