ST2 East Coast Championship

PushinTheLimit

I’ve been posting up this to some of the east coast regions and there seems to be some interest in it.

Hold 4 East Coast Championship race weekends (8 races total) and take your best 6 races. This would allow someone to miss a weekend and not hurt them in the points. These are the tracks that could host the races.

Southeast Region @ Road Atlanta

Great Lakes Region @ Mid-Ohio (Nationals) double points since for just one race

Florida Region @ Sebring

Mid-Atlantic Region @ VIR

Northeast Region @ Watkins Glen

Mid-South Region @ Barber

Do normal points (100 for 1st, 90 for 2nd, 85 for 3rd, etc.) and could possibly throw in bonus points for fastest qualifier (3 points), fastest race lap (2 points) or whatever.

I don't see any downside to something like this... biggest class fields, more cross-region participation and more competition. I haven’t seen anyone jump on this yet so thought I would throw it out there. I realize its alot of travel for some, but its just something on the side for those interested in giving it a try. Here is what the schedule could possibly look like for 2012...

Southeast @ Road Atlanta (March)

Mid-Atlantic @ VIR (July)

Great Lakes @ Mid-Ohio (September Nationals)

Still not sure on a 4th race yet. Waiting to see what the Northeast, Mid-South and Florida has in their schedule before a 4th date is announced.

If anyone has suggestions or comments, post them up.

Edited by Guest

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• robbodleimages

• PushinTheLimit

• Balroks

• petemac

Great idea.

Your title says "ST2" - would this be for ST2 only or did you plan on including STR2 as well?

I am relatively new to NASA but I am working on getting my newly imported car together for the 2012 season and the STR2 seems to be where I will end up.

Would be cool, killer on the budget though

It almost sounds like the other series Nasa was attempting to startup with different classes all together that were even closer to the pro level. So if NASA used the same classes it already has, and runs a Championship series tour it sounds like. Also may fall along the lines they already go by with "the next step up" like

DE

TT

NASA Pro Racing

then

NASA Pro Racing Cup or something.

But if you were racing for different points, would we need to accommodate a separate session like we did for the annoying ITC series...

I wouldn't view this as we would need anything "special" during the course of a normal weekend. The points would just be for those entered in ST2 that would be calculated on the finish of the class as shown on mylaps. The racing groups can be run just as they have been without any shake up on that.

For me personally, I just think it would be cool to get 15+ car fields for our class and just have a little something to shoot for in bragging rights. For me, that incentive enough to go run some races outside of my normal region. Plus, anytime there's 7+ cars in the field, there is full Hoosier contingency

Southeast Region @ Road Atlanta

Great Lakes Region @ Mid-Ohio

Florida Region @ Sebring

Mid-Atlantic Region @ VIR

Northeast Region @ Watkins Glen

I don't see any downside to something like this... biggest class fields, more cross-region participation, and holding an event at M-O would be good practice for the nationals. I haven’t seen anyone jump on this yet so thought I would throw it out there. If it’s too much travel for most, then I’m sure we could condense the schedule to 3 or 4 weekends and just rotate from year to year.

If anyone has suggestions or comments, post them up.

I think it's a terrific idea! Lots of us want to get out to some of the 'better' tracks like the ones you have listed. And nobody wants to race alone. If we knew there'd be bigger fields built in, it's really push more to go. Almost like pre-organizing those in your region to go!

We have been having a serious conversation here in the NE about doing something like this. I'm not sure about 5 weekends...

We have been discussing something more like the Triple Crown @ RA, VIR and The Glen.

Nothing concrete but the discussions have been happening.

Maybe we come up with something a little less formal for ST2. We have a consistent 5 - 7 cars and next year the 2 guys that were running ST1 are going to run in ST2 since they saw all the fun we were having

We did something like this in AI for 2 years and it was very successful.

Less events worked better and make sure no conflict weekends with other regions also.

Count me in. Like triple crown idea personally.

VIR, RA, and watkins glen my vote but sebring and MO always great. We had that very 5 on our challenge series bucket list first year.

I like the triple crown idea. Maybe start off with VIR, RA and the Glen this year and then possibly switch one of them for M-O or Sebring if it does well for the next year.

keep in mind for the budget conscious that a watkins glen option is the most expense regional race entry fee east of the mississippi as far as i can tell.

conversely florida region is looking at any quality options to boosting their racer car count. its possible that a group buy entry fee might earn a discount on their already lower rates.

also food for thought. barber motorsports park is on the nasa se schedule for october 2012. that is a prime weather date at an outstanding facility with a location that would make it easier for more western participation. if barber attracts some texas and midwest racers for one race, road atlanta is far enough west to coax a few more for a second event. then you make the nasa nationals at mid ohio a touring championship points race and you have three events that are doable for those west of the appalachian mountains. add the march or july VIR event with a best 6 finishes(allowing for skipping one event) and you have a pretty attractive package.

June Road Atlanta

July VIR

September Mid Ohio

October Barber Motorsports Park

The June and July events on this schedule have shown they are good for out of region travel. The Nationals speaks for itself. The Barber race is a new date and makes itself prime for an annual date for a series finale.

I would suggest that if ST decided there was enough support to do this, Mr DeSalvo might be persuaded to organize the American Iron/CMC crew into a similar touring championship. If successful, it might be the start of something really nice. I am willing to help.

keep in mind for the budget conscious that a watkins glen option is the most expense regional race entry fee east of the mississippi as far as i can tell.

conversely florida region is looking at any quality options to boosting their racer car count. its possible that a group buy entry fee might earn a discount on their already lower rates.

also food for thought. barber motorsports park is on the nasa se schedule for october 2012. that is a prime weather date at an outstanding facility with a location that would make it easier for more western participation. if barber attracts some texas and midwest racers for one race, road atlanta is far enough west to coax a few more for a second event. then you make the nasa nationals at mid ohio a touring championship points race and you have three events that are doable for those west of the appalachian mountains. add the march or july VIR event with a best 6 finishes(allowing for skipping one event) and you have a pretty attractive package.

June Road Atlanta

July VIR

September Mid Ohio

October Barber Motorsports Park

The June and July events on this schedule have shown they are good for out of region travel. The Nationals speaks for itself. The Barber race is a new date and makes itself prime for an annual date for a series finale.

I would suggest that if ST decided there was enough support to do this, Mr DeSalvo might be persuaded to organize the American Iron/CMC crew into a similar touring championship. If successful, it might be the start of something really nice. I am willing to help.

I haven't seen anywhere in the SE schedule where Barber was added. Do you have any info about that?

I'm all for something like that... the only other bad thing I've noticed for Watkins Glen is they usually only get one date a year for that track, and its late October and the weather at that time is a little sketchy.

* Barber: Go to NASA SE website. Go to schedule. Go to the google calender below. The 2012 schedule is there month to month. Go to October. Its there.

* Watkins Glen: Yes, there is only one Glen NASA race wknd per year and the entry fee is like $450. IIRC the Glen weekend is the same weekend as the Sebring weekend. October at Sebring is as nice as it gets. October in upstate NY can be sketchy.

* Schedule: June(Road Atlanta), July(VIR), Sept(MidOhio), OctBarber)

Its a winner. Do it.

well....maybe its changed or i misread it. ok...well...then the first race ever at atlanta motorsports park as the touring series finale. perfect. right?

I'm against this today. Creating a special "super series" draws big numbers to a few events and leaves many more regional events sparcely attended. That leads to local regional driver that aren't able to make the "super schedule" a little discouraged.

I think this could be a great event once the participating regions have 10+ cars at all their events. On paper these tracks look to be a reasonable drive, but we often forget that many particpants already drive 6-10hours to get to their home region so travelling further becomes difficult. Look at the regional results for those involved in the AI Est Coast series it's plain to see.

Now, should there just be a West Coast Championship and East Coast Championship for all classes..............

I'm against this today. Creating a special "super series" draws big numbers to a few events and leaves many more regional events sparcely attended. That leads to local regional driver that aren't able to make the "super schedule" a little discouraged..

I think most of us are aware of the travel and the costs nowdays. I live on the cusp of two popular regions where the closest track to me is not in the region that is the best overall fit for me.

Many regions have a major league track or two and a club level track or two or three. What I see in the region where I spend my time is that the club tracks are lightly attended and the major league tracks are heavily attended. Not offering racing options at major league tracks outside the region is not going to improve attendance at the regional club level tracks.

In fact its my impression that many national level drivers who have won regional championships already are already trading in local region events in order to race two or three out of region events at Mid Ohio to prepare for the nationals.

Personally, I just don't think that drivers interested in hauling to road atlanta from texas or mid ohio from new jersey are going to give that up for a date at pocono or cmp. but thats just my 2 cents

I'm against this today. Creating a special "super series" draws big numbers to a few events and leaves many more regional events sparcely attended. That leads to local regional driver that aren't able to make the "super schedule" a little discouraged.

I think this could be a great event once the participating regions have 10+ cars at all their events. On paper these tracks look to be a reasonable drive, but we often forget that many particpants already drive 6-10hours to get to their home region so travelling further becomes difficult. Look at the regional results for those involved in the AI Est Coast series it's plain to see.

Now, should there just be a West Coast Championship and East Coast Championship for all classes..............

We had 14 in ST2 this past June at Road Atlanta so I think doing something like this would only make it that much bigger. But I'm trying to schedule most of these events on weekends that don't comflict with other Region's weekends. Designating the National Championships at Mid-Ohio guarantees it won't conflict with any other race weekend and all the top drivers will be there anyways. Here is what it looks like right now...

1: March 16th-18th or June 15th-17th @ Road Atlanta

2: July 20th-22nd @ VIR

3: September 5th-9th @ Mid-Ohio (Nationals)

4: Sebring, Watkins Glen, Barber, VIR ??

Depending on what the Northeast can schedule for Watkins Glen as discussed earlier weather isn't always so great at that time. Sebring during then would work, but scheduling that after Nationals could be a strain for some as that's a long haul for those north of the SouthEast region. Barber would be nice, but I doubt it will get scheduled. AMP is still being built so I don't know if it would be wise to schedule a date there yet until it officially opens.

What about running VIR again in October?

VIR in October is like NASA SE Road Atlanta in December. Its a one race season finale weekend. Its not a good choice.

I think you've got it pretty much right.

June at Road Atlanta to start. That event had a lot of out of region attendance this year.

July at VIR. This is the Ultimate Track Car Challenge event for GRM. A lot of out of region attendance is built in.

Sept at Mid Ohio for the Nationals.

October at Sebring or Atlanta Motorsports Park. These are good weather dates at a historic track that is rare run by NASA racers outside of FLA or a brand new track.

• 3 weeks later...

Love what you got going here and plan on me being in many of the ST2 events as have many tires to use now that AI is spec toyo again.

Idea : AMP in October!!! Brand new track for everyone. Barber is also in spring and should be great event.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you been in contact with anyone to get this thing going? All those tracks are awesome! I most likely wouldnt be able to make all of them but it would be a blast.

goldeneagle there had a pretty tough racin' deal at road atlanta this weekend. this was his baby and i am guessing his focus is on other stuff just now. i will check with him.

meanwhile...who would sign up to do the following schedule of 4 events with 1 drop( best 6 finishes) for the championship.

june at road atlanta

july at vir (w/ultimate track car challenge)

september at mid ohio(nationals)

october at either sebring or atlanta motorsports park.

there are some changes going on in florida region and i am thinking they would really like that series finale down there.

if i can get a commit from 10 cars, i can try to move it forward.