ST2 East Coast Championship

PushinTheLimit

I'd think B.

A would be difficult as Sebring for a starter event might really hurt attendance. I'm sure some might sit back and wait to see how the first event goes - especially if they don't live IN Florida. Sebring is close to.... FL.

i am not sure what your point is. are you saying that only people around atlanta would go to the first event in option B because its at road atlanta?

i thought the idea of a travel series is the give drivers a chance to compete with national championship level drivers at tracks/locations that are exciting to travel to. Sebring two weeks after the historic 12 hour race would qualify, wouldnt it?

after freezing your butt all winter, doesnt a race in prime weather in florida just as spring training ends sound fun?

am i wrong?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• robbodleimages

• PushinTheLimit

• Balroks

• petemac

I'd think B.

A would be difficult as Sebring for a starter event might really hurt attendance. I'm sure some might sit back and wait to see how the first event goes - especially if they don't live IN Florida. Sebring is close to.... FL.

i am not sure what your point is. are you saying that only people around atlanta would go to the first event in option B because its at road atlanta?

i thought the idea of a travel series is the give drivers a chance to compete with national championship level drivers at tracks/locations that are exciting to travel to. Sebring two weeks after the historic 12 hour race would qualify, wouldnt it?

after freezing your butt all winter, doesnt a race in prime weather in florida just as spring training ends sound fun?

am i wrong?

I'm just thinking something like this might take a bit to get momentum going. New things usually do. And for those on the fence about whether or not to participate, stuffing the first event in So FL might not be the optimum choice.

Now if it was at the end of the schedule and people were having fun and trying to get pts for the championship, then they might be more apt to venture farther for the finale (Sebring in Oct). That was just my opinion between the 2 choices you presented.

Sebring is 1200 miles for me; so it'd be a no-go no matter the time of the year probably.

Mid-O is 1,207 mi from us lol.

Balroks - that's your 2nd post about Mid Ohio. I never mentioned it. But for the same reason I explained for NOT starting at Sebring; I wouldn't suggest starting at Mid Ohio in April either.

It's not in my backyard; it's 450 miles from me.

I've made the haul to Mid-O from Va Beach, it's not the easiest. Not bad either... Honestly I think keeping the events as central as possible would help as well. Why not run at CMP? It's not that far of a run for the Florida guys and it's not as far as Sebring for someone coming from the mid-north. Do they not run a double weekend there? I would rather make the run to Mid-O than Sebring. So Sebring would be my toss away weekend. That is if I can get this damn car going.....

The problem with CMP is that its not really a track that people are generally willing to travel from out of region to race at. this is why vir, road atlanta, mid ohio and sebring. for me sebring and mid ohio are the same distance. sebring in march/april or october is about as nice as you get.

if people wont go, there it wont be on the schedule.

The problem with CMP is that its not really a track that people are generally willing to travel from out of region to race at.

people IN region don't even want to travel to race at it

Just schedule the premier tracks and go with it. You'll be at it for 50,000 years trying to maker every one happy.

fixed

- KB, not an ST guy, but will travel for nice tracks but not tracks that are equal to or less than what he already runs in-region.

Just schedule the premier tracks and go with it. You'll be at it for 50,000 years trying to maker every one happy.

fixed

- KB, not an ST guy, but will travel for nice tracks but not tracks that are equal to or less than what he already runs in-region.

Pretty much.

Yeah I would just make a schedule and throw it out there. See how the attendance is for the first year then see what can be done to get the numbers up in 2013...

i am looking for a ten car commitment. last year there were 15+ ST2 cars at the June Road Atlanta. Nationals will have a big turnout. IIRC ST2 has not had big numbers at VIR, but even with the July heat, that is a great event.

i would comfortably go with those three. i am looking for a 4th to create that allowance to drop two finishes or skip an event that is a schedule conflict.

florida is offering us an entry discount. they are working to build their race attendance which will give us some space on the track to race amonst ourselves. if we could guarantee 10 ST2 cars plus some ST1's and some PTA cars, I think we could also get our own split start.

also, if i get a 10 car ST2 commitment, i can talk to some sponsors about that kind of stuff.

If Barber gets on the MidSouth schedule I'd recommend that as a compromise of nice track and central location, otherwise Sebring or Watkins Glen. They're both long azz hauls but they're long azz hauls that are worth it.

Do a small bucket list type iof tracks and that usually works. RA in March or June, VIR in March or July, and Barber or Mid-Ohio another time.

Or count nationals as a part of series.

Open it up to all SU, ST1, and ST2 cars and throw some token money or trophies at it and folks will come out.

I'd like to gauge the likely entries for the series and individual events. Below are two potential schedules. Please tell us which of the two schedules works best for you and which events you would come for...thanks.

This ends up being four regions and four top end professional race tracks.

A.

March 31-April 1 @ Sebring (NASA FL)

June 16-17 @ Road Atlanta(NASA SE)

July 21-22 @ VIR(NASA MidAtlantic)

September @ MidOhio Nationals and Series Double Points Finale

B.

June @ Road Atlanta

July@ VIR

September@ MidOhio double Points

October @ Sebring

I like the idea of forgetting the National Championship in an East Coast Championship... You have guys coming from around the country (West Coast) which affects the outcome of a race. Make it a combination of A and B: Sebring, Atlanta, VIR, Glen. Those are the Premier tracks on the east coast. Travel right up the coast as the year goes on.

I think there might be a couple of ways to deal with the nationals if this thing goes through. Either, do a roll call of sorts to find out who's racing in the "ST championship", if someone where to finish behind a racer who isn't interested in the "championship" but ahead of everyone else that is, give them a first place finish as far as the "championship" is concerned. Or just have everyone agree to take the points as normally given within a race no matter who's running and whether they're in the "championship" or not. If it's agreed upon one way or the other it will effect everyone the same.

• 5 weeks later...

If you set something up I will try and make it, (assuming my car can come with me), I will try and drag along Brownlow so that's 2 more ST2 Cars.

I think you should include Nationals and it should count for double points or maybe take two of your three best finishes.

Same here, I think you need to be able to drop one race and still compete. I would be unable to spend the time traveling between Connecticut and Sebring and I'm sure the same would be the case to make Watkins Glen from the gulf coast.

Sebring, Atlanta, VIR, Mid Ohio, Glen. Four out of those five will guaranty opportunties to come back if you have a mechanical problem.

ok...here is the tentative schedule and rules. i can make changes if necessary, so speak up.

here's the schedule and why.

March 24-25 @ VIR (chance for northern drivers to get an early event in)

June 16-17 @ Road Atlanta (had a huge ST2 turnout last season)

September/Nationals@ MidOhio (most top eastern drivers will be here anyway)

October 6-7 Sebring

comments?

we want as much car count as we can get. here is the class breakdown that I came up with.

ST1

ST2(PTA and GTS3 invited to run this class to expand the competition)

Chris, do you think it makes sense to also run an AI/AIX/CMC group aswell since this concept is established there?

I will have this finalized by mid Feb. please comment.

Edited by Guest

ok...here is the tentative schedule and rules. i can make changes if necessary, so speak up.

here's the schedule and why.

March 24-25 @ VIR (chance for northern drivers to get an early event in)

June 16-17 @ Road Atlanta (had a huge ST2 turnout last season)

September/Nationals@ MidOhio (most top eastern drivers will be here anyway)

October 20-21@Atlanta Motorsports Park(new track)

No Sebring like we talked about?