MGB GT V8 classification

johnhamilton68

I started building a 1968 MGB GT with a 3.5 liter (215 ci) V-8 from a Range Rover to race with a vintage club on the East Coast. Since then, I've moved to Texas and the local vintage club has no class for this car. I'd like to know if there is a class within NASA that I can run the car in, or should I just give up on the idea of racing this car and put it on the street? Car specs are approximate since car isn't finished yet.

1968 MGB GT about 2100 lbs.

Full roll cage

Rover 3.5 liter engine approx. 250 HP

T-5 from a V-8 Camaro

Uprated stock suspension and brakes

14 or 15 inch Kumho or Toyo tires - 205/55/14 currently

Any idea if this car would be accepted and what class I might run in? I'd hate to give up at this point in the build, I just need to know where to take it.

Thanks, John

I started building a 1968 MGB GT with a 3.5 liter (215 ci) V-8 from a Range Rover to race with a vintage club on the East Coast. Since then, I've moved to Texas and the local vintage club has no class for this car. I'd like to know if there is a class within NASA that I can run the car in, or should I just give up on the idea of racing this car and put it on the street? Car specs are approximate since car isn't finished yet.

1968 MGB GT about 2100 lbs.

Full roll cage

Rover 3.5 liter engine approx. 250 HP

T-5 from a V-8 Camaro

Uprated stock suspension and brakes

14 or 15 inch Kumho or Toyo tires - 205/55/14 currently

Any idea if this car would be accepted and what class I might run in? I'd hate to give up at this point in the build, I just need to know where to take it.

Thanks, John

We can drop it into Super Touring. You are right at the upper limit of Super Touring 2 (8.7 wt/hp ratio). A few more pounds and you'd be set.

In Colorado, we have a Fiat 124 running a supercharged engine with aftermarket ECUs/etc. For some strange reason the local vintage club won't let him run either . Bill chose ST2.

The great thing about NASA is they'll find a place for you to run. Run a few races and see how competitive you are in that initial class. From there you'll figure out the upgrades needed to be competitive, or which class would better suit your car.