Car inspection before Road Atlanta event

johnrehder

I'm confused, do I tech the car at an inspection station before I get to the Road Atlanta event or can I get car teched at the track firs thing in the morning? I live near douglasville Ga and if I do need to go to an official inspection station I'd like to be able to do that soon. I'll be in HPDE2.

Thanks guys

Find a place that will do it for free (per NASA rules). It's much easier and less time consuming that way. If not, just go to track Friday and go through tech there. I think the form will cost you $1 at the track.

I'll be in HPDE2.

Not trying to spar here, but how are you registered for HPDE2 if you don't know how to tech your car?

How many HPDE1 events have you run?

Its not a question of not knowing how to tech my car but trying to understand what my options are in NASA. I was with the SSCA group before and I've raced with the mid south group in HPDE1 and before that have had 7 different track events with other club events. By reading the HPDE guidelines it sounds like you have to get your car teched at an inspections station. I've not done that in the past, just at the track the day of the event. By the way Jason Swank signed off on my move to HPDE2 in case your wondering how I got to group two. Jason was an extremely good instructor.

If you do not have a NASA tech station around you find a member of NASA who lives in your area. The basic tech can be done by the car owner if you are willing to take the responsibility for your own safety. The tech at the track just confirms what is all ready written, along with checking your helmet.

I was also confused about the tech process before I did my first HPDE. As I understand it, you can have a shop/mechanic do the initial inspection or you can do it yourself. Being a tightwad I chose to do it myself. The inspection form tells you what to check and if you have a jack or lift then it is pretty simple. You fill out the inspection form and sign it.

You bring that form to the track and have your car teched by NASA. This inspection primarily involves getting your completed tech form, a quick look at your car, making sure that you brake lights work and that you have numbers on your car and that you have a proper helmet. All quick and easy.

Exactly.

The only way to bypass having to have you car teched at the track, is to have it done at a NASA certified tech shop or a ASE shop before the event. If you "self tech" your car, you still have to have it teched at the track before the event.

I was confused about it myself at first. The main point of tech inspection is to ensure your car is safe. If you have the ability, inspect it yourself. If not, let a mechanic do it. Your car is your responsibility either way, and you want to make sure that you don't ruin your's or someone else's weekend. My dealer does the inspection for me since I have a good relationship with them. I would like to learn more since the only person I really trust is myself when it comes to my safety.

I was confused about it myself at first. The main point of tech inspection is to ensure your car is safe. If you have the ability, inspect it yourself. If not, let a mechanic do it. Your car is your responsibility either way, and you want to make sure that you don't ruin your's or someone else's weekend. My dealer does the inspection for me since I have a good relationship with them. I would like to learn more since the only person I really trust is myself when it comes to my safety.

Since you want to learn how to do it yourself - ASK! Especially at the dealer that does them for you. See if the tech will let you stand and watch. Ask questions, get explainations about what he checks, what would fail, etc.

At the track since you have a newer Mustang find the Mustang racers, again ASK!

I have yet to find anyone that won't spend at least a few minutes talking about cars.

They may tell you "come back after the race" or "swing by at 1PM". Shoot my step-son was at an event once and asked if someone needed help - he wound up passing gas cans over the wall during a race.

Since you want to learn how to do it yourself - ASK! Especially at the dealer that does them for you. See if the tech will let you stand and watch. Ask questions, get explainations about what he checks, what would fail, etc.

+1,000,000!!!

When I first got my car and started doing DE events (with the car still under warranty) I was very open with my dealer and they helped me learn a lot by spending time in their shop side-by-side with them. I have a good friend with a similar car and I'm still learning stuff to this day.

At the track, the vast majority of the people are very friendly and very helpful. I would have NO problem going up to someone and asking questions about their car and being confident that a friendly conversation would ensue.